Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,000,934 times

Advertisements

Know this is really locally specific but does anyone have experience (currently better, in the past, fine) with Big Chief. It's a year round daycare and school and has a full summer camp program. I like what I see but it's hard to find reviews. They've been around since 1954...surely SOMEBODY has gone there, lol!! What about Maplewood (Wantagh)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,538 times
Talking from experience here....Coleman Country Camp is better than both of them

Coleman Country Day Camp - Summer Camp on Long Island, New York

Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Talking from experience here....Coleman Country Camp is better than both of them

Coleman Country Day Camp - Summer Camp on Long Island, New York
Except it's in Freeport and not in proximity to either that I asked about. Too far and opposite direction from both of our jobs.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Except it's in Freeport and not in proximity to either that I asked about. Too far and opposite direction from both of our jobs.
Lol it's less than 4 miles away from Maplewood or a whopping 5 min car drive. I drove my kids almost 70 miles to camp a few weeks ago.....that my friend isn't close in proximity.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 PM

69 posts, read 211,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Know this is really locally specific but does anyone have experience (currently better, in the past, fine) with Big Chief. It's a year round daycare and school and has a full summer camp program. I like what I see but it's hard to find reviews. They've been around since 1954...surely SOMEBODY has gone there, lol!! What about Maplewood (Wantagh)?
Our son was a full-timer at BigChief for pre-K and kindergarten. He enjoyed going there. I like the owner's teaching philosophy. IMHO, they offer a warm and loving environment for kids between 3 and 5 (my son started going there at 3 and a half years old). The lead teacher at kindergarten Ms Ellen is a very nice and experienced teacher. Unfortunately, she retires this year after being there for a long time. The assistant teachers are also caring. Overall, our son had a great time at BigChief.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Lol it's less than 4 miles away from Maplewood or a whopping 5 min car drive. I drove my kids almost 70 miles to camp a few weeks ago.....that my friend isn't close in proximity.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
Good for you. In the real world we don't get from Levittown to Freeport in 5 minutes (particularly during commuting time (like you didn't already know that). Adding 15 mins (on a good day) in the wrong direction to our commute also isn't feasible. Also, reviews of Coleman are not particularly stellar. Thanks for pontificating with that "holier than thou" tone. Do you drive your kids 70 miles to camp daily? Whatever...thanks so much for the input. I'll file it for safekeeping.......[flushing sound......]

Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleinli View Post
Our son was a full-timer at BigChief for pre-K and kindergarten. He enjoyed going there. I like the owner's teaching philosophy. IMHO, they offer a warm and loving environment for kids between 3 and 5 (my son started going there at 3 and a half years old). The lead teacher at kindergarten Ms Ellen is a very nice and experienced teacher. Unfortunately, she retires this year after being there for a long time. The assistant teachers are also caring. Overall, our son had a great time at BigChief.
Thank you. Appreciate the response. We looked at them for pre-school but at the time we needed later hours than they offered. They definitely have a solid reputation and no negative history, just not many reviews, particularly of the summer camp which is not cheap. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island