Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

A no brainer.......gone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
If the stars align one day way down the line may pick up and tranfer to So Cal. I have no desire to ever move down south again.

I feel Deja Vu, or am I just seeing the same type or threads over and over and over again??

Old 08-15-2012, 05:38 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
Hell no! Between the ultra-high cost of living, arguable rock-bottom quality of life and stratospheric taxes, I find myself looking forward to greener pastures.

Oh, I know there is no perfect place, but after having lived off of LI twice before, I know life is easier, less expensive, less harried and less hostile elsewhere.

After having grown up on LI, I can say things have really headed downward over the last five years, including huge tax increases, skyrocketing energy bills and mind-bogglingly congested traffic.

You know this is a loaded question, but I can't resist.
I tend to share this opinion to a degree.
I've been on LI for a little over 8 yrs. now (5 in Levittown and 3 in Nesconset).

I'm from Chautauqua Co. (which is rural and poor) and lived both downtown and suburbs of: Pittsburgh,PA; Minneapolis,MN; Rochester,NY; London,UK; Geneva,Switzerland...so I've been around.

There's a lot about LI I like, some of which are:
- the Parkways (best I've ever seen);
- the beaches (look at where I've lived...a beach on a lake tends to be cleaner and there are no jellyfish or sharks but they're small and tend to be pebbly)
- the north shore is topographically really nice (I like hills, winding roads, and wooded areas)
- Eastern Suffolk Co. is still holding onto many things I like about a place and it reminds me of "home"
- I'm slowly finding LI-ers whom are more my ilk (down to earth, uncomplicated, take it one day at a time, self-reliant, looks for fairness with/from others, kind sense of humour, etc.)

What I *really* don't like about LI:
- the constant whining/complaining over and over about the same things (usually "taxes" and "not liking LI" but with a total disintrest to actually learn the facts or do anything about it (like running for public office or joining an intelligent community group...not just a group of like-minded complainers)
- the hostile aggressiveness (drivers...usually females in SUVs) and the scammers (people whom don't conduct business as if honesty, integrity, and fairness matter...so many businesses/business people act like Ferengi. LOL.
- the near total absence of neighbourliness...which isn't unique to LI by a long shot...; but which makes the idea of block parties (unique to LI) really strange to me.

LI isn't much different than other places except it's high population of vehicles and miles travelled per day by those vehicles that makes it so difficult to avoid the people whom make living on LI unpleasant. But LI (the place) is great in its potential.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
It's a matter of finding another place that's worth moving to (aka cheaper). I don't want countryside, but I don't want a city either. I don't want having to drive 10+ minutes to even get to a highway. I want a good mix of races. I want water access. I want good food, especially pizza / italian - 5 options within 10 minute's drive, chains are ok. I want at least above avg schools. I want job availability, especially tech. I want things happening around me (related to the countryside thing). I want to avoid frequent & major weather systems. I want snow in the winter and San Diego summers. I want hockey rinks everywhere nearby. I don't want religion thrown at me.

Hmm, that's all I can really think of for now as an ideal place for me. So where am I going?

Last edited by ovi8; 08-15-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 06:40 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's a matter of finding another place that's worth moving to (aka cheaper). I don't want countryside, but I don't want a city either. I don't want having to drive 10+ minutes to even get to a highway. I want a good mix of races. I want water access. I want good food, especially pizza / italian - 5 options within 10 minute's drive, chains are ok. I want at least above avg schools. I want job availability, especially tech. I want things happening around me (related to the countryside thing). I want to avoid frequent & major weather systems. I want snow in the winter and San Diego summers. I want hockey rinks everywhere nearby. I don't want religion thrown at me.

Hmm, that's all I can really think of for now as an ideal place for me. So where am I going?

Sounds like you are happy and you'd stay. I know the perfect place for you ..Seattle. Sounds like LI doesnt fit some of your criteria. As for races, LI may be one of the most undiverse places in the country. Job avalability is lacking on LI as well. If tech is your desire I think Seattle would be far more vibrant in that regards than LI. There is some rain in Seattle, but you live in one of the most humid, stickiest , unpleasant summer climates in the whole country. A little water would be a piece of cake for you. San Diego summers involve a nice breeze and slightly above average humidity. A pleasant experience for sure. Seattle is akin to this.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I'd move back in a heartbeat. Beach, bagels, pizza and close proximity to the greatest city on Earth make every penny of taxes, housing, gas and electricity worth it! You'd be crazy to move as the job market, salaries and diversity off the Island are a joke! Really, stay there, there is nothing of value west of MetLife Stadium. Seriously.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:06 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'd move back in a heartbeat. Beach, bagels, pizza and close proximity to the greatest city on Earth make every penny of taxes, housing, gas and electricity worth it! You'd be crazy to move as the job market, salaries and diversity off the Island are a joke! Really, stay there, there is nothing of value west of MetLife Stadium. Seriously.
And you current home would cost how much? Taxes would be 3 or 4 times what you pay now? I know the area you live know....

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 16,957 times
I'd leave very quickly

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Assume that you didnt have family on LI, and that you could make the same $$ living anywhere in the country would you stay on LI?
This is a loaded question.....but I could say this:

Money isn't everything...doesn't always buy happiness. Some people move off the Island and think they are going to live better but if it isn't done right you're just trading one problem for another. Ask yourself this if I got paid 10%-15% more and continued to live where I currently do ....will that make you that much happier? I doubt it.

It's seems like it's human nature to complain. Even the rich constantly complain, trust me I hear about it all the time.

There is no utopia but you have to ask yourself " what kind of place do I really enjoy?" 4 seasons, snow, mountains, skiing, beaches,country,urban,rural etc. You should live where you most likely prefer. Trust me wherever you move to you will complain about something or many things...guaranteed!

Also I think if moving is in the cards, move somewhere that will give you your greatest opportunity to succeed( not just financially but in all aspects in your life) don't follow the "herd". Don't let family hold you back, remember your just moving not dying. Some family members I couldn't wait to move away from, lol.

Prioritized on what's important to you and your immediate family. You might have to trade 3 for a 7 on a list to make things work but making certain sacrifices will work better in the long run.

Also don't listen to stereotypes but physically check out an area for yourself and if you could stay for an extended time then definitely do it. Also if you can go back at different times of the year to get a true prospective of an area. Go to supermarkets,post office,bars/restaurants,parks,HOW's, read the papers, watch the news, get a feel of what's going on...talk to people( most people outside of NY are very friendly and won't look at you like your crazy or on drugs.

They say that your home is your biggest investment and it might be for some but if your moving and buying a home it's an even bigger investment. With any other type of investment you should be patient do your research and plan ahead. The key is, if your going to do it..do it right!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I tend to share this opinion to a degree.
I've been on LI for a little over 8 yrs. now (5 in Levittown and 3 in Nesconset).

I'm from Chautauqua Co. (which is rural and poor) and lived both downtown and suburbs of: Pittsburgh,PA; Minneapolis,MN; Rochester,NY; London,UK; Geneva,Switzerland...so I've been around.

There's a lot about LI I like, some of which are:
- the Parkways (best I've ever seen);
- the beaches (look at where I've lived...a beach on a lake tends to be cleaner and there are no jellyfish or sharks but they're small and tend to be pebbly)
- the north shore is topographically really nice (I like hills, winding roads, and wooded areas)
- Eastern Suffolk Co. is still holding onto many things I like about a place and it reminds me of "home"
- I'm slowly finding LI-ers whom are more my ilk (down to earth, uncomplicated, take it one day at a time, self-reliant, looks for fairness with/from others, kind sense of humour, etc.)

What I *really* don't like about LI:
- the constant whining/complaining over and over about the same things (usually "taxes" and "not liking LI" but with a total disintrest to actually learn the facts or do anything about it (like running for public office or joining an intelligent community group...not just a group of like-minded complainers)
- the hostile aggressiveness (drivers...usually females in SUVs) and the scammers (people whom don't conduct business as if honesty, integrity, and fairness matter...so many businesses/business people act like Ferengi. LOL.
- the near total absence of neighbourliness...which isn't unique to LI by a long shot...; but which makes the idea of block parties (unique to LI) really strange to me.

LI isn't much different than other places except it's high population of vehicles and miles travelled per day by those vehicles that makes it so difficult to avoid the people whom make living on LI unpleasant. But LI (the place) is great in its potential.
We all have places we're fond of... I'm happy you find some compelling reasons to enjoy living here but find the reality of today's Long Island to be anything but enjoyable.

I grew up on LI and have seen the place go from a leafy suburb and beautiful shore to an over-developed, over-taxed extension of the city with crumbling infrastructure. Even access to the ocean has been restricted by privatization and development. The Hamptons are a caricature. I remember when Montauk used to be a rustic fishing community.

Infrastructure is crumbling fast. You have a commuter railroad that can't get anything right (except fare increases), roads (including your beloved parkway system). I can point out at least half-a-dozen cities, across the US, with better roads, new and expanded light-rail systems and fairly well balanced budgets.

So, yes I complain and yes I have lot's of company in that pursuit. I guess misery loves company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island