Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,178,765 times

Advertisements

1)Babylon: Beaches/Great Rail Service/IMHO one of the Best Downtowns on LI.

2)Speonk/Remsenberg:Where?....exactly. Neat litttle quasi hampton relatively affordable.

3)Stony Brook: I love the village, the diversity and the progressiveness of the people.

crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:10 AM

67 posts, read 360,686 times
Upper Brookville: I love the area north of Northern Blvd around Wolver Hollow Road.

Cold Spring Harbor: Between the quaint old town and the water, well case closed.

Cove Neck: If it was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt, it's good enough for me.

edit: I can't afford to live in any of them yet, but I can dream!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,602,731 times
You just had to put "can afford to live in" there, didn't you, Crooks?

Just kidding; that's exactly what makes the question realistic.

Hm... okay... I'm going to assume that by "affordable" you mean that both house price and property taxes would make such a purchase do-able. In that case I can come up with only two:

(1) Hauppauge and/or Smithtown within the Hauppauge Schol District (affordable taxes, convenient Western Suffolk location, good sized property; downside is that many houses have water/flooding problems due to the high water table in most of Hauppauge, and the even more serious problems in and near The Branch)

(2) Wading River (affordable taxes for most, good sized property; downside is that it's further east than we would like)

I would have added Bayport south of Montauk Highway as #3 (love the ambiance of the area, plus still convenient location) except for the high taxes as a result of the school district, and insurability problems once you get south of Middle Road which is of course where the nicest houses are (too close to the water).

We love Dix Hills (as long as it's not too close to the Expresssway) but the house prices and taxes put it out of the running.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLongIsland View Post
Upper Brookville: I love the area north of Northern Blvd around Wolver Hollow Road.

Cold Spring Harbor: Between the quaint old town and the water, well case closed.

Cove Neck: If it was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt, it's good enough for me.

edit: I can't afford to live in any of them yet, but I can dream!
No you cant....start a dreamers thread.

Read OP

crooks

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
You just had to put "can afford to live in" there, didn't you, Crooks?

Just kidding; that's exactly what makes the question realistic.

Hm... okay... I'm going to assume that by "affordable" you mean that both house price and property taxes would make such a purchase do-able. In that case I can come up with only two:

(1) Hauppauge and/or Smithtown within the Hauppauge Schol District (affordable taxes, convenient Western Suffolk location, good sized property; downside is that many houses have water/flooding problems due to the high water table in most of Hauppauge, and the even more serious problems in and near The Branch)

(2) Wading River (affordable taxes for most, good sized property; downside is that it's further east than we would like)

I would have added Bayport south of Montauk Highway as #3 (love the ambiance of the area, plus still convenient location) except for the high taxes as a result of the school district, and insurability problems once you get south of Middle Road which is of course where the nicest houses are (too close to the water).

We love Dix Hills (as long as it's not too close to the Expresssway) but the house prices and taxes put it out of the running.

Excllent choices.

I assume you want SWR schools and not Riverhead?

croosk

Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
That I can afford? We're talking small 3BR's here

Bayport/bluepoint: love the older small town feel. love the gazebo dock.
Sayville: same as above
Kings Park: Same as above, kind of out of the way from the rest of the island, which I like, but easy to get to everything via Sunken Meadow.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:55 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,602,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I assume you want SWR schools and not Riverhead?
We're both childless Baby Boomers, so school district is immaterial except for how it affects the taxes (which is why Hauppauge is a plus but Smithtown School District and Bayport get a minus).

Given a choice, though, we'd prefer the part of Wading River that is NOT in Riverhead township, so as to avoid the Peconic Tax when purchasing....

Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 AM

67 posts, read 360,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No you cant....start a dreamers thread.

Read OP

crooks
Ok Ok fine.

Cold Spring Harbor: I'd take a shack in CSH, there is def some cheap stuff somewhere in there.

Sea Cliff: Victorians galore.

Roslyn: Perhaps one of those 200 year old houses will come for sale for cheap, preferably on the duck pond.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:58 AM

10 posts, read 63,707 times
for now :
#1 New Hyde Park - grew up there, nice schools, nice neighbors, the houses i can afford would be small 3br/1.5ba houses sitting on 40X100 prop with a full UNFINISHED basement, a nice garage and walking distance to the bus stop. the taxes are a killer (because of the nice schools) around 8K average.
#2 Mineola - Nice schools, nice old town feel. Close to all shopping, transportation, schools.
Taxes are kind of high, but can get some bigger properties if you are lucky.
#3 Herricks - if i really put in every dime i have, i can squeeze into this sought after school district. I have a young son, so I'm planning ahead and looking for a good school district now. But the houses I can afford are not as comfortable as I'd like them to be.

So my main hunting point now is East Meadow now. Love the size of the houses and the property that I can offord here for the same amount $$

-DM

Old 01-05-2009, 10:06 AM

510 posts, read 2,207,205 times
Bellmore
Wantagh
Massapequa

Excellent Schools, Very nice Neighborhoods, Family close by, Loads of parks. Shopping close by. Near the train station and jones beach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island