Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

We think we just found our dream house and its in Rocky Point.We love it -it's private rustic , hilly and without that real suburban feel you get on much of Long Island.
I have a few questions for all of you with knowledge of the RP area. So here goes-

We are moving from the Three Village District which I like but is too large and very focused on very very bright science oriented kids who get lots and lots of attention.the others do not.

My two oldest are in JHS They are really smart kids but they do not kill then selves to get an A. They are pretty much over-looked. They are also not special needs kids.So I do not need a district that is strong in that way, My youngest age 8 will adjust anywhere.
We are sick of the taxes and we do not need a Mc Mansion in order to be happy.
OK , so you know a bit about us and here are my questions-
1. Is Rocky Point a very conventionally suburban town or does it have a more small town live and let live attitude. Please give examples.
2.How is the library and school district?
3. Would you say that its an open minded place?
4.Do people hold very strong political points of veiw? Is everyone conservative or liberal or somewhere in between ?
5 Would you say it is a very ethnic place where people are obsessed with the countries of their ancestors religion etc and are suspicious of others who are not really in touch with their ethnicity Look I am not afraid of a St Pats Day Parade or a great Italian bread store. I am referring to people who are really really into their ethnicity and are intolerant of others who do not share these backgrounds or ethnic groups.
6. Would you say that people are friendly , too interested in the lives of newcomers or somewhere in the middle?
7. My perception is that Rocky Point is enjoying an upsurge. I hear really good things about the school district and many people say it is better than a few neighboring districts. Your thoughts?
The house we love is in the Hagerman Beach area. It needs work and its a little quirky house. They want something in the low 4s but it needs a new kitchen and one new bath, What would you offer? A lot of people would not like this house for the very reasons that we do. Its not average or cooky cutter. Any thoughts?
8. A while back someone wrote that there are a lot better places to live on the North Shore for less money. I can not imagine where that might be. Their are pretty places in Patchogue - but the school district is HUGE. Obviously Pat-Med are not an the North Shore but I am with the poster who wrote that the best places to live are generally on the Shores. I am a North Shore Person.
ANY HELP ADVICE OR RESPONCE FROM RP PEOPLE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Much thanks! Sheena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We think we just found our dream house and its in Rocky Point.We love it -it's private rustic , hilly and without that real suburban feel you get on much of Long Island.
I have a few questions for all of you with knowledge of the RP area. So here goes-

We are moving from the Three Village District which I like but is too large and very focused on very very bright science oriented kids who get lots and lots of attention.the others do not.

My two oldest are in JHS They are really smart kids but they do not kill then selves to get an A. They are pretty much over-looked. They are also not special needs kids.So I do not need a district that is strong in that way, My youngest age 8 will adjust anywhere.
1. Is Rocky Point a very conventionally suburban town or does it have a more small town live and let live attitude. Please give examples.
4.Do people hold very strong political points of veiw? Is everyone conservative or liberal or somewhere in between ?
5 Would you say it is a very ethnic place where people are obsessed with the countries of their ancestors religion etc and are suspicious of others who are not really in touch with their ethnicity Look I am not afraid of a St Pats Day Parade or a great Italian bread store. I am referring to people who are really really into their ethnicity and are intolerant of others who do not share these backgrounds or ethnic groups.
6. Would you say that people are friendly , too interested in the lives of newcomers or somewhere in the middle?
7. My perception is that Rocky Point is enjoying an upsurge. I hear really good things about the school district and many people say it is better than a few neighboring districts. Your thoughts?
The house we love is in the Hagerman Beach area. It needs work and its a little quirky house. They want something in the low 4s but it needs a new kitchen and one new bath, What would you offer? A lot of people would not like this house for the very reasons that we do. Its not average or cooky cutter. Any thoughts?
8. A while back someone wrote that there are a lot better places to live on the North Shore for less money. I can not imagine where that might be. Their are pretty places in Patchogue - but the school district is HUGE. Obviously Pat-Med are not an the North Shore but I am with the poster who wrote that the best places to live are generally on the Shores. I am a North Shore Person.
Much thanks! Sheena
I moved from RP to Stony Brook -- I'll share my RP experience.

1) I found it to be more small, friendly town, regular blue collar folks, no one one-upping one another. Houses varied, plenty of rentals to be had. Older people selling to flippers. Watch out for sex offenders National Sex Offender Registry 11778

2a) We moved out of the area before my child started school. We saw a number of families in our neighborhood which did not share the same educational values we did. People were happy with the schools, so please don't let my experience set a tone.
2b) We used the Shoreham-Wading River library over at the SWR HS. It's a bit of a haul. It was a nice library, but can't be compared to Emma Clark. Apples and oranges.

3&4) It was (then 1996) a more conservative place as opposed to the 3V's.

5) Speaking only for the people I knew there: people were tolerant to a point, but then again, I never saw any African American families moving into the neighborhood. My neighbors were mostly Irish and Italian with a few German families.

6) People were friendlier in my old RP neighborhood than they are in my SM neighborhood. We had buttinskys in RP, here we have the crank who calls the town on everyone for what he perceives to be violations. In RP most of my neighbors were blue collar, their wives were either nurses, secretaries or SAHMs. People were around on weekends, said hi, looked after things if you went away. During the summer there were plenty of kids around to play with. In SB my neighbors are wrapped up in SUNY, their careers or are traveling. Kids go to camp for the summer.

7) I can't speak for the school district, no 'hands on' experience.
As for the house -- I was once told that when making an offer 10% or less than the asking price. I don't know if that really holds true in the current market. I love small, quirky houses (my home is one of them! LOL) and can appreciate your perspective. It's probably the same as what drew me to my home.

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I love small, quirky houses (my home is one of them! LOL)

Me, too. obh. Those are exactly the kinds of houses that I like .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-09-2008, 11:16 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Quote:

Much thanks! Sheena
Hi and welcome to the neighborhood! I hope the home you found will suit all of your needs. As for your questions, all I can say is that Rocky Point is one of the most unique communities on Long Island and I hope you will be very happy here. I have lived here my entire life and I am sure you've read some of my previous posts in this thread. Don't let the opinions of others get you discouraged about the schools! I just graduated from Rocky Point in 2007 and it was a wonderful experience. As for the political views of the community, it is generally pretty conservative. I won't say the community is closed minded, but it is a pretty racially homogenous community. As for educational values; I certainly believe that they are very strong in our community, and the majority of my senior class went on to higher education. People are very friendly in my neighborhood and we are always eager to meet new people. If you have any other questions about Rocky Point, feel free to pm me.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM

28 posts, read 103,223 times
Quote:

Much thanks! Sheena
Well I have to agree, there is no other place that is as cheap or as nice w/ a good SD to boot. I lived in Rocky Point and now in Sound Beach. I bought a split Ranch for 306,000 by the fire department and it has an apartment. My taxes are 5,200 a year. Most of the area was a beach community till the 80's when people realized the $$$ their homes were worth. It is a younger community but there are people who have lived here and are retired and a few hicks too. Once in a while you hit a home where they don't take care of it, (around the business areas)(or its a rental)(or its an elderly person who can't) but for the most part, new people are movin in and fixing up the bungalows. As far as crime... my friend lives near broadway, 2 blocks over and says that there are drunks runnin around on the weekend and cause several disturbances. Also a lot of rentals along King and Prince by broadway. east King & Prince are fine by Nautilus/Harding.

As far as the people... mixed bag. I'm political and I canvass for certain issues. Some shut the door on me, some sit and talk for a few minutes. most are busy working all the time. Once in a while you get someone who is right wing, or a libertarian for the most part people are open minded. I have a Ron Paul for Pres sign in front of my house & its pretty big. No one bothers me about it. I'd say 20% total vote, 30% republican moderate, 50% democrat moderate, 20% Independent. Lots of single people and young couples buying the bungalows. Live and let live for the most part as long at you don't bother anybody. Where I live its really quiet except for the fire alarm lol. Never have I had someone freak out on me as has happened in many other areas that I canvass.

The kids are nice and most are respectful of the neighborhoods. Case in point: My cell phone wasn't working at my house one day so I got in the car and parked a couple blocks down. I was in my car and these kids came up to me and asked what I was doing just sittin there. Makin sure I wasn't up to anything. made me feel good, like people were watchin out for other people.

People will talk to you ex. walking your dog and you pass someone you can say hi without getting a funny look. I can't say the same of Miller Place etc. People there kinda give me the impression of being snooty.

School is good, taxes are fairly low for the older homes. Houses - so many to choose from! I wish I would have waited a year or 2, There are big deals out there right now! There's a home on Amber Rd, a 3BR Ranch w/ an apartment & garage in short sale right now for only 299K and its all updated w/ hardwood floors.

In short, Being on Long Island east, I'd say you've nailed the location to buy in. Some Sound Beach homes have the Miller Place schools too, so Rocky Point & Sound Beach would be the place to start lookin. Shoreham/Wading River too but taxes are very very high there. Theres a Shoreham area South of 25A that has nice houses and lower taxes by Blackfoot trail etc. by the sod farm. Good Luck

Last edited by freedomjunkie; 03-10-2008 at 09:37 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 09:50 AM

28 posts, read 103,223 times
About the darn deer: There are no deer in Rocky Point. The only deer are in Shoreham going east or across 25A going South. There are groundhogs, squirrels, moles, raccoon & possum though and you see them squashed on the road in spring.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:45 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Hi All! I would like to thank OhBeeHave, rockypointy,and freedomjunkie for their cogent insight and comments about the Rocky Point area. I still love parts of the Three Village area and I did not mean to come across as dissatisfied with it at all. I am just not quite sure that it is worth 17k and change (my taxes) per year.
Also the area in which I live is filled with people who worship their McMansions and have a really hyper OCD attitude toward lawn care. I like woodsy , private , natural settings. Chem Lawn is just NOT for me.
I fist did want to stay in the 3VSD but every thing was way too small. I wanted to scale down economically but we still need room - the RP house is quirky but spacious.Does any one know anything about the Haggerman Beach Area?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:19 AM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Quote:
Hi All! I would like to thank OhBeeHave, rockypointy,and freedomjunkie for their cogent insight and comments about the Rocky Point area. I still love parts of the Three Village area and I did not mean to come across as dissatisfied with it at all. I am just not quite sure that it is worth 17k and change (my taxes) per year.
Also the area in which I live is filled with people who worship their McMansions and have a really hyper OCD attitude toward lawn care. I like woodsy , private , natural settings. Chem Lawn is just NOT for me.
I fist did want to stay in the 3VSD but every thing was way too small. I wanted to scale down economically but we still need room - the RP house is quirky but spacious.Does any one know anything about the Haggerman Beach Area?
I believe this may be one of the oldest beach communities in Rocky Point. Believe it or not, I have only driven through this area once and from what I remember the roads are some of the narrowest that I have ever seen. Though I must admit I am an OCD lawn freak, I can definitely see the charm and uniqueness of this area. I really don't know that much about Haggerman Beach except that it is surrounded by Tides North to the east and a preserve to west. I'm honestly not sure what beach the area would use, since "Tides" Beach is at the end of Haggerman Landing and it is bounded by "Pickwick Beach" to the West and "Terraces on the Sound" Beach to the east. I think the best way to find out about this neighborhood would be to ask any surrounding neighbors, (especially older residents). If I remember correctly, there was a proposal to subdivide a piece of property in the area and one resident gave a complete historical overview of the community that was very informative. Since it is such a small community, I'm sure the neighbors are close knit and it won't be difficult to find all the information you are looking for. Good Luck with your new home!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:

You are very welcome. Best of luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 AM

87 posts, read 270,434 times
Default Do Not Live Near Sod Farm

Do not go anywhere near the sod farm. There's one in MP too. The young mom (30) who lives there with her three kids is very ill from lyme. The youngest daughter had a tick and high fever. The dogs keep getting ticks. The sod farm is infested with ticks and when they pull up the sod they all come out. *do not live near a sod farm it's not worth your health*!

I'm going to be looking at houses again tomorrow in RP MP SB.

----
In short, Being on Long Island east, I'd say you've nailed the location to buy in. Some Sound Beach homes have the Miller Place schools too, so Rocky Point & Sound Beach would be the place to start lookin. Shoreham/Wading River too but taxes are very very high there. Theres a Shoreham area South of 25A that has nice houses and lower taxes by Blackfoot trail etc. by the sod farm. Good Luck [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island