Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,425 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband & I left the NY area back in '98, and are considering a move back if all goes well. We are regular, working class people with an 8-year old son (and no, we don't only hang out in our backyard drinking beer).

I've been reading a lot of posts (particularly Clamboy's) touting Rocky Point/Sound Beach. Can anyone else provide their thoughts on the area?

Quite honestly, I've never visited these areas while living in NY. But a friend who lives in Nassau (Port Washington), made it sound like RP/SB is an area full of misfits/white trash. I tend not to believe his interpretation, but I would really like some clarification.

If we are able to come back, we want a small home with either a basement and/or garage, on around 1/4 acre if possible, in a decent area to raise our child. We don't want to have to stress about having bought a bigger house than we need, resulting in higher mortgage payments & taxes. We realize there's more to life than a showcase home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,408 times
I grew up in Stony Brook and worked in Rocky point when I was younger. My brother also lived in Sound Beach. Dont get me wrong, its not a BAD area.
But theres much nicer for the same price!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
I grew up in Stony Brook and worked in Rocky point when I was younger. My brother also lived in Sound Beach. Dont get me wrong, its not a BAD area.
I've obviously been out of NY for a while, so I'm out of touch. Can you recommend any areas to look at? For example, when we left NY we were in Ozone Park...it was pretty bad when we left, and now it's an utter horror! My husband is up there now, and he can't believe we ever lived there. He said practically every home/business is now owned by Indians. We're not into goat meat and the like, so we don't want to live in an area that caters to their people. We want to move to a middle class, generally white area. I don't mind diversity, but I don't want to become the minority!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Where ...Jersey?
When did you work here ...1987?

You guys know what I think.
I grew up in Stony Brook, bought Rocky Point and love it.

Nothin' fancy....just a humble little town by the Sound.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Feel free to PM me if you want some info.

I think its the best town on the Island.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 10-04-2007 at 09:13 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
I've obviously been out of NY for a while, so I'm out of touch. Can you recommend any areas to look at? For example, when we left NY we were in Ozone Park...it was pretty bad when we left, and now it's an utter horror! My husband is up there now, and he can't believe we ever lived there. He said practically every home/business is now owned by Indians. We're not into goat meat and the like, so we don't want to live in an area that caters to their people. We want to move to a middle class, generally white area. I don't mind diversity, but I don't want to become the minority!
Rocky Point is a community that is 98% white. To say that there are other nicer places that you can get a home for the same price is definitely wrong. There is a wide variety of neighborhoods that vary greatly in character and price range. There really are no BAD neighborhoods in Rocky Point though I would suggest staying away from the Broadway vicinity and King Road just because aesthetically they are not that charming or rustic and have the worst reputation in town. If you want a suburban feel look in the Tides or Pickwick, but my personal favorite neighborhood is the Hallock lane area off of Noah's Path. It is still very rustic, but with large lots and all beautiful homes. Overall Rocky Point has a better reputation than Sound Beach so I would suggest looking here as opposed to Sound Beach. Come out and explore the area, thats how you will best form your opinion, comments from other people can only paint a vague picture of the community. Good luck in your home search!

Last edited by rockypointny; 10-04-2007 at 09:16 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Rocky Point is a community that is 98% white. To say that there are other nicer places that you can get a home for the same price is definitely wrong. There is a wide variety of neighborhoods that vary greatly in character and price range. There really are no BAD neighborhoods in Rocky Point though I would suggest staying away from the Broadway vicinity and King Road just because aesthetically they are not that charming or rustic and have the worst reputation in town. If you want a suburban feel look in the Tides or Pickwick, but my personal favorite neighborhood is the Hallock lane area off of Noah's Path. It is still very rustic, but with large lots and all beautiful homes. Overall Rocky Point has a better reputation than Sound Beach so i
would suggest looking here as opposed to Sound Beach. Come out and explore the area, thats how you will best form your opinion, comments from other people can only paint a vague picture of the community. Good luck in your home search!
This is a very fair assessment(and no hes not my alter ego).
Come visit...and dont forget to buy some Rocky Point Italian Bread

C

Heads up GC, Broadway and King's where to buy on the cheap ala Bay Shore.

Last edited by clamboy; 10-04-2007 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 PM

80 posts, read 291,203 times
How much are you looking to spend? I was out with a buyer today (yes, I am a realtor) looking at 9 or 10 homes in RP and SB. Of those 10, 2 qualified. One short sale and one bank owned. Both close in price-3BR/1Ba, no garage but both had crawl space. 1st house $255k Rocky Point/RPSchools- slightly larger house, with cesspool and everything new/redone and space between neighbors. 2nd home $269k same 3BR/1Ba,in Sound Beach w/Miller Place schools smaller property and house, very cute, had a new bath, carpet and some other things but needed windows. If I were to choose I would take the smaller house with Miller Place schools. There are a few on the market that are affordable.
Now, if you can spend $350k you are in a whole new category and can get into Miller Place or Stony Brook or Setauket.
I have homes in both Rocky Point and Setauket, currently living in Rocky Point until I move to Fl. Rented my Setauket home out and now drive my daughter to Gelinas (Setauket JR High). She loves it and yet I am going to Fl where schools are not so good.
Now, when I speak to other people, they love Rocky Point schools. There is just a lower income level in RP and possibly lower education level as a generalization. I do have some nice white collar professionals on my block (and some that are not). If I can help you further with any questions feel free to private message me.
Linda

Old 10-04-2007, 09:34 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mermaid View Post
How much are you looking to spend? I was out with a buyer today (yes, I am a realtor) looking at 9 or 10 homes in RP and SB. Of those 10, 2 qualified. One short sale and one bank owned. Both close in price-3BR/1Ba, no garage but both had crawl space. 1st house $255k Rocky Point/RPSchools- slightly larger house, with cesspool and everything new/redone and space between neighbors. 2nd home $269k same 3BR/1Ba,in Sound Beach w/Miller Place schools smaller property and house, very cute, had a new bath, carpet and some other things but needed windows. If I were to choose I would take the smaller house with Miller Place schools. There are a few on the market that are affordable.
Now, if you can spend $350k you are in a whole new category and can get into Miller Place or Stony Brook or Setauket.
I have homes in both Rocky Point and Setauket, currently living in Rocky Point until I move to Fl. Rented my Setauket home out and now drive my daughter to Gelinas (Setauket JR High). She loves it and yet I am going to Fl where schools are not so good.
Now, when I speak to other people, they love Rocky Point schools. There is just a lower income level in RP and possibly lower education level as a generalization. I do have some nice white collar professionals on my block (and some that are not). If I can help you further with any questions feel free to private message me.
Linda
I totally agree with you on many points, however education is totally based on the individual. I just graduated top 10% of my class and i am now in college (on a full academic scholarship). I am constantly complimented on the education I received at Rocky Point such as "Wow you had a great teacher in high school" and it really makes me feel proud of my school and community. We know people that are moving from Miller Place to Rocky Point because they are sick of the way the school district has gone downhill. Yes it is true that Rocky Point Schools are better than Miller Place, people are just blinded by Mcmansions and real estate ads suggesting Miller Place as a top school district. As for lower income, this is an element that is due to rentals that we have, the average Rocky Point homeowner is not low income by any means. I hope I provided some good input on my wonderful experience in Rocky Point schools and as a member of this community.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mermaid View Post
Linda
Wanna trade?

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to look at houses yet since we still have to sell our house in FL (God only knows if/when that will happen!). If we do come up, we're looking to stay $300K & under for a "cute" home, with taxes that don't force us to "bend over". Not looking for anything grand...we don't want to work 24/7 just to pay the bills. Just looking to settle into a nice, peaceful life, in a decent neighborhood with good, hardworking people.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
This is a very fair assessment(and no hes not my alter ego).
Come visit...and dont forget to buy some Rocky Point Italian Bread
Clam,

Please don't rub it in about the Italian bread. I love my bread! I could probably eat a whole loaf of bread myself slathered with Breakstone's butter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island