Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I'm not wasting my breath listing culture again. "Highbrow" is the wrong word. I like LOWBROW! Everything I would do is not available on LI, from national touring music acts to pro sports to decent ethnic food.

My kids soccer team is 1-1 though and sunday is pricture day. We'll be rocking Wendy's and that is where it's at on LI. I accept it and enjoy it, doesn't mean I have to deny the reality like you and pretend LI is chock full of kick ass grown up entertainment.....cause it 'aint!

My old band toured parts of the US 11 times in 4 years. We did not play on LI once. I'm proud of that fact! Playing LI destroys artistic credibility in a heartbeat. Ask any NYC artist when their next LI gallery showing is (outside mid summer in the Hamptons). Besides the 1/2 empty shows at the "new" Paramount by mid career bands, what you got?! Do tell. Fiddler On The Roof at Molloy College?! Awesome!!!
Where did I post that LI is full of "kick ass grown up entertainment?" I didn't. I just don't understand what you are being such a snob about. It's the suburbs for crying out loud. What do you expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where did I post that LI is full of "kick ass grown up entertainment?" I didn't. I just don't understand what you are being such a snob about. It's the suburbs for crying out loud. What do you expect?
I expect it to not suck or at least acknowledge it sucks so it might make an effort to not suck quite as much, rather than have apologists who say on the one hand "what is so bad?" and then in the next breath say "what do you expect?" Lots of suburbs with decent art, music and food scenes. LI is more dumba$$ townie than many of the "tarnation" places belittled on here.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
The tzar of CityData has spoken. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

OP, remember what I said about LI people?

I present to you a prime specimen: I Love LI Butt

Excuse me while I get back to work. Open Mic tonight!!!

Woo hoooooooooo!

It's actually the miserable complainers like yourself and little buddy mongoose that give the rest of us a bad name. No one asked you to come here and no one is making you stay if you hate it so much. Long Island has much to offer. The biggest being it's proximity to the Greatest City in the world. If suburbia is not your "thing", you moved to the wrong place.
We all have our reasons for liking it here: beaches, boating, food (yes, LI has excellent ethnic food), four seasons, etc. Paradise? No, but still damn nice.
Maybe it is time for you to "love it or leave it in 2012".

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
It's actually the miserable complainers like yourself and little buddy mongoose that give the rest of us a bad name. No one asked you to come here and no one is making you stay if you hate it so much. Long Island has much to offer. The biggest being it's proximity to the Greatest City in the world. If suburbia is not your "thing", you moved to the wrong place.
We all have our reasons for liking it here: beaches, boating, food (yes, LI has excellent ethnic food), four seasons, etc. Paradise? No, but still damn nice.
Maybe it is time for you to "love it or leave it in 2012".
"Little buddy?"
1. What is this, Gilligan's Island?
2. I have more posts than him.

That "biggest bang is proximity blah blah waaaaahhh" is such a load of defeatist dung. Blah blah "we're a bedroom community of NYC." Such a pathetic copout for those who can't get off their a$$ to turn this place from decline to a world class place to live. It's OK. It also has tons of problems that only keep from being improved by arrogant nimby apologists like you who think we have great food and boating (btw, the FI Inlet is now closed to boats, too shallow and no money for dredging).

The only thing keeping the place interesting is people like me and LoveItorLeaveIt (pathetic Islander fan notwithstanding) who stay and make it better. You closet "Love It, But" types are clearly the ones who let it start to rot. We know who to blame, now. Thank God I'm here to fix it. You're welcome.

It's funny that you guys spend equal bad breath attacking the expats who talk about why they left as the current residents who express why they WILL leave. Maybe get your head out of the proverbial hind end and see there are serious issues. Beaches, bagels and proximity do not trump the mess we're in. Denial ain't a river in Nissequoge.

I know you've still got that Kate and Co. lawn sign, don't you? Figures.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Must be the traffic on LI that makes people so pissy

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie79 View Post
The house in Valley stream that i posted about earlier is $589k- and that is out of my price range. TO answer some of your questions-
-I would love to have a basement
- we don't need the shortest commute but we dont want suffolk county
- Dont mind a house that needs tlc but no major repairs
- I am ok if we all have the same well kept house. i dont need to have the best on the block.

I must be confusing you with the other Roxie78 that posted :

Hello All,
We are looking to buy a house in LI. We saw a house that we like but more importantly we liked the area and the cul-de-sac feel.
http://www.mlsli.com/unidetailsredo.cfm?mlnum=2500647&typeprop=1&bn=1&C FID=79803299&CFTOKEN=62115880
If the link doesn't work it is ML #2500647

However, this house is out of our price range ($450k). We have a 2 and 14 year old, so school district is important. We are open to any suggestions in Nassau county.

Thanks so much,

I say you have many options still available. Make sure to do your due diligence though and look up The Toxic Plume that has many worried in eastern Nassau County. Many residents aren't concerned but, you have little children and I would advise against the risk.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Quote:
"Little buddy?"

That "biggest bang is proximity blah blah waaaaahhh" is such a load of defeatist dung. Blah blah "we're a bedroom community of NYC." Such a pathetic copout for those who can't get off their a$$ to turn this place from decline to a world class place to live. It's OK. It also has tons of problems that only keep from being improved by arrogant nimby apologists like you who think we have great food and boating (btw, the FI Inlet is now closed to boats, too shallow and no money for dredging).

The only thing keeping the place interesting is people like me and LoveItorLeaveIt (pathetic Islander fan notwithstanding) who stay and make it better. You closet "Love It, But" types are clearly the ones who let it start to rot. We know who to blame, now. Thank God I'm here to fix it. You're welcome.

It's funny that you guys spend equal bad breath attacking the expats who talk about why they left as the current residents who express why they WILL leave. Maybe get your head out of the proverbial hind end and see there are serious issues. Beaches, bagels and proximity do not trump the mess we're in. Denial ain't a river in Nissequoge.

Welcome to Long Island, a NYC suburb. Thats what it always has been, hopefully that what it will stay.
Must be nice to love yourself so much, at least you can say someone does.

Will Mongoose and the Rodents be hitting the road again soon? One can only hope!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit2012 View Post
The tzar of CityData has spoken. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

OP, remember what I said about LI people?

I present to you a prime specimen: I Love LI Butt

Excuse me while I get back to work. Open Mic tonight!!!

Woo hoooooooooo!

Whose sock puppet are you? You're probably one of my friends trolling me. You cannot be for real, that's for sure. Especially with a screenname of "loveitorleaveit2012," yet you cannot get off the Island you hate. So sad!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
"Little buddy?"

What are you and him DOING to make it better besides complaining?

Thank God I'm here to fix it? Talk about heavy is the head who wears the crown!

PS: The "Kate and Co." comment was the coldest insult on the thread. Cruel!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Welcome to Long Island, a NYC suburb. Thats what it always has been, hopefully that what it will stay.
Must be nice to love yourself so much, at least you can say someone does.

Will Mongoose and the Rodents be hitting the road again soon? One can only hope!
They're putting on their cowboy hats, string ties, and boots. Heading for Austin! Yeeee haw!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island