Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we open a Dairy Queen on the island?
Yes, I think it could do well. 41 80.39%
No, we don't need or want a Dairy Queen. 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I want a DQ!!! Open it up!!! Baskin Robbins doesnt have 31 flavors near me!!!
Every BR I've gone to NEVER had 31 flavors. The joke between hubby and me is that there are 31 flavors, they just never put them out at the same time lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have only had DQ once and that was in Pennsylvania. I think it would do well here and I always wished there was a DQ on LI. I heard there used to be one out by Riverhead back in the day.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM

377 posts, read 644,576 times
I think there were a few on LI back in the 70s and 80s. When my sister and I were little, my aunt in Franklin Square used to take us to Howard Johnson's for fried clams followed by DQ for dessert. Very healthy, LOL.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have only had DQ once and that was in Pennsylvania. I think it would do well here and I always wished there was a DQ on LI. I heard there used to be one out by Riverhead back in the day.
There was one in Huntington village when I was a kid too.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
There are SO many options for ice cream already on LI - it's hard to imagine that that market isn't a bit saturated:

Friendly's
Baskin Robbins
Carvel
Ralph's (seems to be one in every town these days)
Tina's (not to be outdone by Ralph - LOL)
Cold Stone Creamery
TCBY
Haagen Dazs Stores
Benn & Jerry's Stores

In addition to the above...
I've noticed a large number of "self-serve" yogurt shops open over the past 6-8 months
I'll bet you if all the regular CD contributors kicked in we could come up with a list of 30-50+ local, home-town favorite, independently owned ice cream stores on the Island as well.

I think the question you would have to ask is whether or not DQ's product is unique enough to differentiate itself from the pack of competitors above - allowing you to take enough market share to be profitable.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:23 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post

I've noticed a large number of "self-serve" yogurt shops open over the past 6-8 months
I'll bet you if all the regular CD contributors kicked in we could come up with a list of 30-50+ local, home-town favorite, independently owned ice cream stores on the Island as well.
That would be my pick. If I am going to get ice cream I want something homemade and special. Not some bland chain ice cream novelty. There are lots of special places for ice cream and that's where I go.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM

206 posts, read 570,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
I think there were a few on LI back in the 70s and 80s. When my sister and I were little, my aunt in Franklin Square used to take us to Howard Johnson's for fried clams followed by DQ for dessert. Very healthy, LOL.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ho Jo's fried clams, 28 flavors ice cream, and hot dogs with the bun split from the top in half.

Why would you go to DQ for ice cream when you had 28 flavors at Ho Jo's?

Don't worry if you don't remember the hot dog buns, I'm going back to the '40's

Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
There are SO many options for ice cream already on LI - it's hard to imagine that that market isn't a bit saturated:

Friendly's
Baskin Robbins
Carvel
Cold Stone Creamery
TCBY
Haagen Dazs Stores
Benn & Jerry's Stores

I think the question you would have to ask is whether or not DQ's product is unique enough to differentiate itself from the pack of competitors above - allowing you to take enough market share to be profitable.
Ralph's is seasonal
Carvel has nothing special and basic flavors
Cold Stone is too expensive
TCBY is expensive and I've seen a few close
Rarely see a Haagen Dazs-I remember one on Queens Blvd years ago but I think it closed
Never seen a Ben & Jerry's in NYC or LI
Friendly's is dirty and has terrible service
Baskin Robbins has nothing special either and I've never seen 31 flavors at any given time in their display case

Never had Tina's. Where can I find one?

I think DQ's Blizzards are what would attact most consumers. Food-wise I don't think they offer anything different than Friendly's but I think a DQ Express would be better. No food-just ice cream, Blizzards and novelties.

DQ seems to have more novelty mixes

Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

Friendly's
Baskin Robbins
Carvel
Cold Stone Creamery
TCBY
Haagen Dazs Stores
Benn & Jerry's Stores

Setauket/Stony Brook area has seen 5 frozen yogurt shops open -- 3 in the past couple of months. Between them, Carvel, Friendlys, BR, Bella Dolce, Ralph's Ices -- there are a number of places to buy tasty cold treats.
*******************************BUT**************** *****************
A well placed DQ would probably do well on 347.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Never seen a Ben & Jerry's in NYC or LI
There are 4 B&J on LI -- two in movie theaters -- Farmingdale and Holtsville multiplexes, one in Huntington, the other in Westhampton Beach. There had been one in Smithtown -- the shopping center on the SW corner of 25&111. It folded a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island