Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2havetrees View Post
Hi all, update on the situation. The neighbor finally came over to talk to us. He works a lot and is never home and claims he didn't know this went on. He won't admit his wife had it done, although said it appears that way whether by mistake or otherwise. He acknowledged how awful it is, apologized and said he would pay to clean it up and replant trees. Let's hope this ends it....it will never look like it did but as far as I'm concerned this is the best outcome and hopefully we'll mend the relationship.
And today is my 10 year anniversary so right now the day has begun with a great start
Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!

Well this is a step in the right direction at least! I hope you get to pick the species of trees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM

15 posts, read 35,573 times
yes we pick, which is why I'm still not 100% convinced. He could balk when he hears prices but honestly if he pays me something i'll be happy. I'd rather just mend the relationship and move on.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 AM

418 posts, read 1,070,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Your dad goofed big time there. If he was in the house 40 years and no one ever challenged that fence, then that land was probably his by adverse possession. I'm pretty sure any court would agree with that.
Interesting.

My property (based on the survey) is just over 0.5 acres.
The survey (and its official reading) indicate that the backyard fence is about 5 ft into my neighbor's property - since this happens to be the long side of the lot - this effectively adds about 1500 sq ft of land to my original lot.
The fence has been there for at least 20 years - it is unclear who put it up.

When I talked to the neighbor - he also indicated that the fence was there when he bought the house - some 15+ years ago and he is aware that cuts from his lot.
Neither of us is challenging this.
There is nice vegetation along the fence (mostly on his side) that provides complete privacy. Honestly, I have no issue if he decides to move that fence one day - as is, I have too much yard to care for, including A LOT of trees...

The OP story is quite remarkable - that neighbor woman seems like a piece of work.

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 10-05-2012 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,951 times
Quote:
yes we pick, which is why I'm still not 100% convinced. He could balk when he hears prices but honestly if he pays me something i'll be happy. I'd rather just mend the relationship and move on.
Loves,

That's great news, at least 1 of your neighbors seems reasonable. And Happy Anniversary (better than spending it on national television I bet!)

Twingles,

Re: the one bite rule, the reason I said the 'one bite free' rule is not entirely accurate is bc an owner can be held liable for a first bite if there were other factors that would cause an owner to know (or should have known) that the dog was vicious, so in some cases even if a dog has never bit a person before the owner can be held liable.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Hi all, update on the situation. The neighbor finally came over to talk to us. He works a lot and is never home and claims he didn't know this went on. He won't admit his wife had it done, although said it appears that way whether by mistake or otherwise. He acknowledged how awful it is, apologized and said he would pay to clean it up and replant trees. Let's hope this ends it....it will never look like it did but as far as I'm concerned this is the best outcome and hopefully we'll mend the relationship.
And today is my 10 year anniversary so right now the day has begun with a great start
Oh man,

This has been going on 18 + months and the husband had no idea this was going on and won't admit his wife had anything to do with it? Mistake,lol Heck he should have said "looks like we're have a bad year with those pesky woodpeckers"

By any chance does he wear dark sun glasses, walk with a white cane or a dog all the time? Your story has more twists and turns than Apollo's Chariot. Or maybe it was your post on C/D that got your neighbor all rattled( the power of this forum)not the police, the constant calling of them,the town, the other complaints from neighbors, etc.

To me and I'm not speaking for anyone else, the only thing I find believable is it's your anniversary And with that I wish you a happy one

Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM

126 posts, read 222,134 times
It probably depends on the state, but we had a neighbor dog that was destroyed on the first bite. That was because when it had gotten loose before, Animal Control recorded it as a vicious dog. They were even afraid to go near it with the loop to capture it. Nobody got bitten that time, but I guess it went on the dog's permanent record. I wasn't sorry that the dog was gone because I had young children and it regularly got loose, but I was sorry for whatever had previously happened to the dog to make it that way (she had adopted it from a shelter).

Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM

15 posts, read 35,573 times
bigmike50, I'm really not on this forum much but let me take a wild stab at something....you enjoy pushing people's buttons on any thread you comment on? I've tried to be nice, but obviously that doesn't matter to you. Read the thread. I know it sounds outrageous, but I'm not interested in wasting my time lying about something that never happened. I'm sure if I had the person on video you'd find a way to discredit the story. It doesn't really matter anymore, does it? And of course I don't believe the husband didn't know what was going on....but who cares as long as he pays me for the damage? Maybe he decided he was sick of fighting with the neighbors, maybe they're going through a divorce...I don't know. The point of the thread was to discuss how to get assistance when a neighbor violates the law and I can't reason with that neighbor. It's perfectly fine to play devil's advocate if your comments are helpful as I try to figure out what to do, but really....enough is enough. Thanks for the anniversary wish though....have a nice day!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Happy Anniversary! Onward to another ten

Good news which hopefully will "come true"!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM

513 posts, read 837,707 times
Quote:
Hi all, update on the situation. The neighbor finally came over to talk to us. He works a lot and is never home and claims he didn't know this went on. He won't admit his wife had it done, although said it appears that way whether by mistake or otherwise. He acknowledged how awful it is, apologized and said he would pay to clean it up and replant trees.
Maybe it will end well.

Quote:
Happy Tenth!

Quote:
If you pick the right variety of tree it could be even nicer in the future. Although some are, the right tree is not necessarily an expensive choice. Size is also a big factor in cost. Generally, faster growing vars. cost less. A good approach would be to decide what the ideal effect would be. Things like ultimate size, evergreen, deciduous, flowering? Consider the location as far as exposure and soil conditions and maybe consider native trees. Then decide among the candidates, maybe group a few of different vars.

Newly installed landscapes are known to outgrow there space in about four or five years. You have an opportunity to do a planting that will be a long term improvement to your property. Time always passes...

Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM

999 posts, read 2,358,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As Elke has noted, this is trespassing.

The houses are on1 acre lots. BUT 30-40 fifty foot trees seems like an exaggeration to have been removed from 1 yard. That dense and they would be competing with one another creating a thick canopy with little sunlight reaching the ground.
I have 3/4 acre and have about 10 trees in that fifty foot plus range (and about 15 in the 20-40' range and the taller trees offer no privacy (mostly oaks) while the shorter trees (mostly evergreens) do.

I can only guess the OP had/has a number of large evergreens buffering her property from the neighbor?

Which is it? If the trees have no effect on a home's value, why would you offer less?

In general -- not directed at you: why do people buy homes in heavily treed areas and the cut all or most of their trees down?

Trees have no effect on a houses value, UNLESS they are standing close enough to fall and hit it... then they are a hazard

Otherwise having a house clear of trees isn't going to lower the value as the op stated, less trees has effected the op's value... the op said it not i....
Quote:
essentially opened up my view to both and devalued my property
I said if i look at a house i automatically take off per tree that has to be removed since the original owner wasn't smart enough to do it.

. Most people buy homes or property as i have and if not originally farm land and undisturbed, the area will have trees growing... If you build a house on the property like we have done, then you would be smart to remove all trees that could make contact with the house, and trees that can shadow the house to much as that causes other problems with the house causing moisture issues over years.

Now builders will only remove the trees they need to build the house and don't bother removing trees that can cause other issues unless they think they have a view to try and use $$$$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island