Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
i'm all for photo radar. I have a feeling law enforcement unions are against it, as it could mean loss of jobs and or overtime...with photo enforcement most speeding would eventually stop and there'd be nothing left to enforce. Traffic is policed by camera in some european countries. They had photo radar in maryland somewhere, and eventually revenue went down to $0, because nobody sped...which should be the goal of enforcement anyway.

Also, you can't show your pba card to a camera when you get caught speeding. That's a big perk they won't give up easily, which should be illegal in the first place, but i digress.
+1!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,974 times
Quote:
Also, if you read more into the story, the kid was driving a Subaru that looks to be a WRX from the shape of the hood.

That's a "fast and furious" wannabe "rice grinder" that is often found wrapped around trees and telephones poles..it's a lot of power for not a lot of money that is favored by reckless young men. A lot of this is adding up to bad parenting..a kid with a learners permit driving a very fast car.

Cue more reckless clueless young men bragging about how their Mitsubishi Lancer is faster, failing to see the irony.
On the news they showed it to be an STi to be exact. Again why parents put a pretty new high performance car into the hands of an unlicensed teen is beyond me. Pure sense and rationale was missed in many areas leading up to this event.

And there is nothing wrong with the road and speed limits there.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
"Bloody Alley"...who made that up? Newsday to sensationalize a story so they can sell a few more papers to save their dying business?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
btw, there is no huge curve where this happened between 17 and 18: Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

The SSP being "too dangerous" does not apply here. It was excessive speed and perhaps driver impairment that caused this.
Yes, I noticed that too. I had always considered Blood Alley to be the curvy roadway around Wantagh.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Maybe there needs to be a device installed into cars (like what they show on the Progressive commercials) that tracks a person's driving habits. You drive like a maniac and your insurance goes up...or you have your license suspended.
What's the deal with that? Does anyone have Snapshot by Progressive? I dunno if I should get it ... my rates might go up!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've seen idiots weaving in and out on the SSP at 80MPH like it's the Autobahn. Usually some prickly dude in a BMW or a kid in a WRX. Those people are the problem, for the most part, not the road.
Yes! What part of 55 mph is the speed limit don't they understand?

(Posted in memorium of Gpsma)

Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Remember that little conversation we had about insurance a few weeks ago? This kids' parents are in for more heartache than they are experiencing right now.
What kind of punishment can they expect from their insurance company? I wonder if they even told their insurance company they have a teenager with a learner's permit in the household. A lot of people don't want to pay the astronomical rates and try and slide by with that non-disclosure.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
"Bloody Alley"...who made that up? Newsday to sensationalize a story so they can sell a few more papers to save their dying business?
Agreed.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
They need to make speed limits more realistic, and then you get a ticket if you go 5 MPH over. So, a 60MPH limit on the SSP, you're okay up to 64.

On the LIE should be 65, maybe 70 in certain areas.
Generally I agree with you on other posts, however I think that 64 is too fast for some parts of the SSP. AT that speed you're sure to hit a guardrail in some spots. It just wasnt designed for that speed. This doesnt make the road unsafe, it makes the driver unsafe.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
I always drive as fast as I want. I have every police departments get out of jail for free card.

I dont think I have gone below 75 to 80 in the past 15 years. Im in a rush, just get out of my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island