Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM

9 posts, read 11,848 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of Long Island - out of NY state. I still cannot sell the house after one year so I am renting out my house soon but will get the rent which is not enough to cover my mortgage payment. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any property tax difference for rental house and do I need to inform the township.

2. Do I need to pay any tax re the rental even it's no profit at all?

3. Do I need to contact the IRS on this case?

Thank you for all advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,764,368 times
Your property tax will be higher because you will no longer be entitled to the STAR exemption. That is for your primary residence only.

You will need to pay income tax on the net profit on your rental. This is the rents collected less all expenses (interest, insurance, property tax, maintenance, depreciation, etc.). If this amount is negative, you can deduct it from your other income.

No, you do not need to contract the IRS.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmhousewife View Post
I am moving out of Long Island - out of NY state. I still cannot sell the house after one year so I am renting out my house soon but will get the rent which is not enough to cover my mortgage payment. I have a few questions:

1. Is there any property tax difference for rental house and do I need to inform the township.

Thank you for all advices.
1) In other words you are asking, because you can't sell your home you are wondering if your property tax burden is less? The answer is, no. If that were the case, wouldn't everyone rent?

2) Depends upon your tax bracket, income, investments, etc. Whether or not you have a profit or loss is of no consequence to the government. Income is income.

3) What would you contact them for?

Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM

This is not because of the property tax, who don't know the crazy tax in LI, but as I am no longer living in the house for months, and also need to pay for maintenance of the cost such as electricity, pool, landscape during, etc, etc, the worse is when the spring time, it's humid that someone must take care of the basement. I cannot come back to LI so often as the cost of air-tickets! So that I'd rather have a responsible tenant to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
1) In other words you are asking, because you can't sell your home you are wondering if your property tax burden is less? The answer is, no. If that were the case, wouldn't everyone rent?

2) Depends upon your tax bracket, income, investments, etc. Whether or not you have a profit or loss is of no consequence to the government. Income is income.

3) What would you contact them for?

Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM

I don't have STAR exemption as I am a foreigner-buyer in USA. I don't need to submit income tax form but just want to know if there is a tax regulation re the rental in USA. In my case, pay the mortgage and property tax as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Your property tax will be higher because you will no longer be entitled to the STAR exemption. That is for your primary residence only.

You will need to pay income tax on the net profit on your rental. This is the rents collected less all expenses (interest, insurance, property tax, maintenance, depreciation, etc.). If this amount is negative, you can deduct it from your other income.

No, you do not need to contract the IRS.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Depending on where your property is, you MAY have to notify the Town that you are now renting the house. The Town of Islip for instance requires a permit for any rental, regardless of whether it is an apartment, condo or entire house.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
if you rent the house you must submit a tax form even if there is no profit as you must take the depreciation allowance . whenever you sell you will be required to pay back the depreciation whether you took it or not.

you must change your homeowners insurance too from ho3 owner occupied insurance to landlord insurance. very important to do this to break the link between household member vs tenant.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:45 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmhousewife View Post

If you rent it out, it becomes a business. If you have a loss from it, that's deductible from your other income; if you make a profit, it adds to your other income.

Keep records on ANYTHING spent and on all income from the property.

Since this is all new to you, I'd advise seeing an accountant, the sooner the better.

Your entire mortgage payment is NOT an expense. The interest will be an expense, as will taxes and insurance. You could depreciate it, but you should talk to your accountant about that. You should also be able to deduct other expenses, such as travel to inspect it, (part of) your accounting fees, advertisements, general upkeep, etc. Major (capital) outlays may not be "expenses" but rather investments. These would be added to your depreciation schedule. It's not as simple as saying, "no profit" just because there's negative cash flow.

This is for federal taxes only. I have no idea what might be required by city and state. Once more I'll stress, contact an accountant or tax attorney.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,163,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

you must change your homeowners insurance too from ho3 owner occupied insurance to landlord insurance. very important to do this to break the link between household member vs tenant.

Excellent point! Very important
And your lease with any future tenant should state that you require the tenant to get renters insurance!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:56 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
you have to be careful too about your mortgage.

your entire mortgage can be called due as that too is based on owner occupied as well.

because most folks think real estate requires no knowledge except buy a property and let the money role in they eventually get stung as nothing is a problem until its a problem.

i would bet except for those who got stung using ho3 insurance on a rental almost every landlord has no landlord insurance just their homeowners.

i have said many times thats a big mistake.

if anyone wants to know why ill be happy to explain but having got burnt myself i have explained it many times here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: