Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Um because were not the city duh!
Thanks, Captain Obvious. Long Island City is no NYC, and, as mentioned, was in pretty bad shape with little residential options.

It was more the principle and opportunity jumped on that I was referring to; there's plenty of areas around train stations in Nassau County, roadways that have seen better days such as Hempstead Turnpike, Jericho Turnpike, etc. as well as the Coliseum area, for instance, where you could use these redevelopment, mixed-use strategies to accommodate a larger base of folks.

Further, you do not need to be an urban area to take advantage of these programs.

Last edited by MobileVisitor09; 10-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And this is something which would have been perfect in the Coliseum vicinity -- does anyone recall if this was part of the Lighthouse plan?
Agreed. Is the whole plan out the window or is there still some planned activity at the site (excluding the Coliseum business)?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Thanks for the input. Make sense. LIC has exploded with positive growth which is already branching out to Astoria and local neighborhoods.

You hit it on the head. It has everything to do with politics and the nimbys. There is simply no density permitted in the zoning rules and no political will to change it.
Yup, granted its proximity to NYC had led to its success; but, the same thing could happen for Nassau County. It's close enough to NYC for those that want to travel in for work; but, far enough out that it's can provide a quieter, arguably semi-saner version of NY life.

Think this also ties into the higher ed discussion in Nassau County; if you had additional residential options for young professionals, maybe more would consider doing graduate or post-graduate work in the area instead of fleeing to similar universities out of the area with better all around, more cost effective options (and then staying in these locations because of little incentive to return).

Was reading about the AvalonBay development in Huntington Station earlier this afternoon. Case in point.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Um because were not the city duh!
Look up 2608 Erwin Road in Durham, NC on Google Streetview. It's certainly not the city, yet they were able to mix high density housing with shops on the ground level. To see what one of the apartments look like inside, look up MLS #1850693

Why can't something like this be done on the island? Make it mixed income and you have a winner!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
For ages on the Coliseum's exterior, near the ticket area, I would see a small piece of graffiti which was never removed 'Wait til Zep comes'. I last recall seeing it in the early 90's -- one would have to imagine it was there since 1977 or earlier...

What would it have taken to scrub it off? If that was there for a couple of decades, lord knows what bigger problems were overlooked.
Your Nassau County union finest at work. Clean grafitti? Not in the contract!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
Yup, granted its proximity to NYC had led to its success; but, the same thing could happen for Nassau County. It's close enough to NYC for those that want to travel in for work; but, far enough out that it's can provide a quieter, arguably semi-saner version of NY life.

Think this also ties into the higher ed discussion in Nassau County; if you had additional residential options for young professionals, maybe more would consider doing graduate or post-graduate work in the area instead of fleeing to similar universities out of the area with better all around, more cost effective options (and then staying in these locations because of little incentive to return).

Was reading about the AvalonBay development in Huntington Station earlier this afternoon. Case in point.
I like the way you think.

As much as I understand the long held fear of "another Queens" that argument is misleading and short-sighted. Yes, we don't want a Corona but much of LI cries out for something akin to Bayside and Forest Hills. Just enough additonal housing density to allow for GROWTH without radically changing the demographic or median income. If you're not growing, you're dying. Adapt or die. All those cliches. Nassau's fear and arrogance are strangling it. To just allow illegal apartments to proliferate as the rental option, heap tax increase upon tax increase on the homeowner and obstruct any creative development is a recipe for economic death. Who the F votes for these same idiots time after time. I'm shaking my head in disbelief so often I'm getting whiplash! arrrgggghhhhhhhhh.

We just let a Pro sports franchise walk away over a matter Kansas City and Columbus could solve in their sleep. How does that look to ANY business wanting to devlop here?! Add the tax dis-incentives and you stare economic death in the face. Hello, people....THAT'S US RIGHT NOW!!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:

As much as I understand the long held fear of "another Queens" that argument is misleading and short-sighted. Yes, we don't want a Corona but much of LI cries out for something akin to Bayside and Forest Hills. Just enough additonal housing density to allow for GROWTH without radically changing the demographic or median income. If you're not growing, you're dying. Adapt or die. All those cliches. Nassau's fear and arrogance are strangling it. To just allow illegal apartments to proliferate as the rental option, heap tax increase upon tax increase on the homeowner and obstruct any creative development is a recipe for economic death. Who the F votes for these same idiots time after time. I'm shaking my head in disbelief so often I'm getting whiplash! arrrgggghhhhhhhhh.

We just let a Pro sports franchise walk away over a matter Kansas City and Columbus could solve in their sleep. How does that look to ANY business wanting to devlop here?! Add the tax dis-incentives and you stare economic death in the face. Hello, people....THAT'S US RIGHT NOW!!

The way mixed-income, mixed development typically works, it looks nothing like Queens. In Baltimore (city and suburban properties), they typically have retail space below the property, along with garage parking, and then 2-3 floors of housing above. Fits in with the same heights of other buildings in the area. And I'd rather see real estate accommodating young professionals, small families, or, the elderly, than larger homes suffering from various stages of decay, broken up into smaller apartments illegally. Further, if there was a larger rental stock available, the existing apartment sites would be forced to lower their rates. $4000 for a two bedroom Avalon apartment community in Melville, for instance, is insanity at its finest.

There's some Transit Oriented Development content listed online for the area; will be interested in seeing how that pans out over next few years...

Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
What is surprising to me is that if this can't be done in Nassau why isn't Suffolk stepping up?
I can't help but thinking the entire Nassau Coliseum/Lighthouse Project is 10 or 15 years past it's window and Long Island's future multi-use development should be to the East in central Suffolk.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:37 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
This sounds like it is for minorities or people living below the poverty line. A single middle class working person making 60-70K wouldn't be able to get in there.
Did you look at the charts where they have the income, residency, and apartment # of bedrooms?

Yeah, Levels 1 and 2 are very low income; then when you get to Levels 3 and 4 there is a skip leaving some middle income people out totally.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:

It's really an insane POV to be "afraid of another Queens" and you nailed it in that paragraph. Local pols have it down pat. Look at this quote from Kate Murray in the NY Times about the police officer being shot:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/24/ny...anted=all&_r=0

Quote:
“This is just a horrendous pattern emerging,” she said. “It really makes everybody realize that life is getting a bit more dangerous out here even in sleepy suburbia. Police officers are really on the front line each and every day.”
Even in sleepy **bleepin'** suburbia?

Yeah it's real sleepy in the location where the officer was shot! All of Nassau is as sleepy as Mayberry!

That moron must have "magic retrovision" where she sees Long Island in the 1950s/1960s or something instead of how it really is, NOW, in the 21st century!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 10-25-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island