Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,278 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is relocating us to LI - we came out to look and are suffering serious sticker shock (thought CT was most expensive before we saw LI!). Please recommend towns where we empty nesters can buy a smalll nice 2 br / 2 bath that is NOT in an over 55 community! We like towns so we looked at Babylon and Sayville on the south shore, northport, stony brook and (farthest out and maybe not possible for commute) port jeff. Husband will be working in Melville....
Help please! We're looking to spend in the mid 300's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Kings Park is awesome. East Northport. Huntington too.......

Nesconset might work......easy commute.

You can find something....ITs just going to be small, which is perfect for you.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Try Greenlawn. Especially close to the little downtown area. Lots of little houses there.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Try Greenlawn. Especially close to the little downtown area. Lots of little houses there.
Great suggestion! Greenlawn has the feel, price point could work, and you're not far from Huntington.
Plus Melville isn't too far from there.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:40 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding what you want at that price. I will echo Greenlawn above as well. Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:48 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
Agree that you should be able to get something in Greenlawn. Not that I'm biased ;-) but several neighbors work in Melville. Downtown area is cute and there is plenty in your range. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
shouldin't have a problom long island is a wall to wall gated community.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
shouldin't have a problom long island is a wall to wall gated community.
No, it really isn't. The "problom" is not enough affordable housing, not too much of it.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
"Affordable Housing on LI" ---- an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Houses to buy are terribly overpriced

Rentals are even worse --- people want to charge premium prices for some dumpy illegal apartment so you (the renter) can pay the mortgage they (the owner) cannot afford to begin with,

If you decide to rent in a complex, they love to add the tag "luxury" to rentals but can never seem to explain what the "luxury" is. In NYC, a "luxury" building means 24 hour doorman, possibly a concierge, fitness center, pool, on-site laundry, etc etc etc. In LI, "luxury" means they want to charge you $300-$500 more than the going rate for a comparable apartment.

Last edited by Amisi; 12-10-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
"Affordable Housing on LI" ---- an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Houses to buy are terribly overpriced

Rentals are even worse --- people want to charge premium prices for some dumpy apartment so you (the renter) can pay the mortgage they (the owner) cannot afford to begin with,

If you decide to rent in a complex, they love to add the tag "luxury" to rentals but can never seem to explain what the "luxury" is. In NYC, a "luxury" building means 24 hour doorman, possibly a concierge, fitness center, pool, on-site laundry, etc etc etc. In LI, "luxury" means they want to charge you $300-$500 more than the going rate for a comparable apartment.
Yup, I had to laugh when I saw this thread on the forum. Knew it was just a matter of time after all of the rosey suggestions... someone would shed the light of reality. LI is the land of the dank, damp, dumpy apartment and if you're renting a house, you're paying for the mortgage and huge property taxes.

I'll never forget when my young family and I moved back to LI from Austin back in '98 (boy, do I regret that move now). We wanted to rent until finding some place to buy and the places we saw for rental were like DEA raid sites. In '98, they were renting a 2000 sq. ft. home for $2k/month (Huntington/Melville); I can't imagine how much more the same place is going for.

When the moving company driver drove up to our LI rental, he thought it was the wrong house at first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island