Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

lost power at approx 5PM today -- as I wason the LIE svc road, i saw a big flash (transformer) and all of a sudden all the street lights go out... I turn into my neighborhood and no power.

Anyone know why in the hell my block has such an issue with keeping the lights on? It seems anytime it rains, I lose power or a transformer blows!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM

400 posts, read 761,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks for the link.

Unfortunately it's a bit "general". I'd like to see something more specific rather than just by Hamlet or Village...
Actually, I liked the old map much better... Atleast I was able to see a general location of what was being worked on.... Now they have this terrible map hat tells the customer absolutely nothing... IN the detail of your outage it says someone will be dispatched as soon as possible.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Well, around 11 AM power flickered on & off 5 times, then went OUT altogether here in Roslyn.
From what I've been told, its out in Glen Head, EAst Hills, ROslyn - very wide area. And there were lots of police & ambulances coming by as well. Hoping that was related to the power loss & it'll be coming back soon. One neighbor was told that the power should be back on by around 1:00. It's 2:00 - hope that report is close to correct. And the snow is falling fairly heavy. Strong winds from Athena not quite here yet.

Had just restocked freezer & fridge.
Well, if it is cold enough use Mother nature as a frig. When I was first in college, w/ lil ones to feed...in-laws offered half a beef. My hubby is like, oh we don't have freezer. I said...We have the trunk of the car and it is 30 degrees all winter....We literally used our car trunk all winter. That sounds pretty bad, but in a pinch use whatever resources you have. God protect and keep you all!!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
lost power at approx 5PM today -- as I wason the LIE svc road, i saw a big flash (transformer) and all of a sudden all the street lights go out... I turn into my neighborhood and no power.

Anyone know why in the hell my block has such an issue with keeping the lights on? It seems anytime it rains, I lose power or a transformer blows!
Old transformers and fuses.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:01 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Old transformers and fuses.
I've just about had it with the service on this island. Switching problems on the lirr and equipment problems with LIPA.what are we paying so much for? Don't answer. I know.

I actually talked to my wife about westchester tonight.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I've just about had it with the service on this island. Switching problems on the lirr and equipment problems with LIPA.what are we paying so much for? Don't answer. I know.

I actually talked to my wife about westchester tonight.
Doesn't ConEd service Westchester? If so, good luck

Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
LIPA has over 207,000 customers this morning without power.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 AM

84 posts, read 166,380 times
I understand that JFK and Lagaurdia are still open. Get a plane ticket to Florida and in about 3 hours it's 80 degrees, sunny, and no gas lines...

If you stick around here waiting for LIPA and the Federal/State/Local government to get their acts together you may freeze to death.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
well, i'm in glen head and we didn't lose power today because we haven't gotten it back
I have friends and relatives in Setauket, Stony Brook, Poquott, and Old Field who are in the same terrible position. There's power all around them, but thire street or neighborhood is completely in the dark. It is a ridiculous shame that LIPA could restore half a street days earlier while leaving the other end dark indefinitely.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:04 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I have friends and relatives in Setauket, Stony Brook, Poquott, and Old Field who are in the same terrible position. There's power all around them, but thire street or neighborhood is completely in the dark. It is a ridiculous shame that LIPA could restore half a street days earlier while leaving the other end dark indefinitely.
I'm hearing that its a lack of materials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island