Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
There is no reason to take half as I will be cutting it down myself and placing it back on their property.
That doesn't sound like the altruistic neighbor who would have paid for everything if it was his tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM

520 posts, read 1,653,562 times
I really am very surprised that I am in the minority here. I would not have thought that.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
And the light bulb finally turns on......

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That doesn't sound like the altruistic neighbor who would have paid for everything if it was his tree.
He probably craps on his neighbor's lawn and then claims he's a great neighbor for fertilizing it.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM

126 posts, read 222,134 times
I think it is marvelous that you would take the high road and pay for the removal of the tree if it had been your tree on your neighbor's property. It's nice that you would do what you think you is right, regardless of your legal obligations or the commonly understood rules of homeownership.
However it sounds kind of peevish to stack the wood on their property after you cut it up. Why not just stack it in the street like everybody else? If you would take the high road on your tree, why not take it with theirs? In fact, putting the scraps back in their yard is NOT legal, as far as I understand it, and doesn't really show that you have any desire to be a good neighbor. Why not model the behavior that you wish others to exhibit?

Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And the light bulb finally turns on......
Huh??? I knew no one agreed with me. I was just stated again because I still can't believe it. If it was my tree of course I would pay for it. I just don't get it.

My recycling bin was knocked over during sandy which resulted in about 5 or 6 items to go on the same neighbors property. Should I have left them since it was an act of god??

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
I think it is marvelous that you would take the high road and pay for the removal of the tree if it had been your tree on your neighbor's property. It's nice that you would do what you think you is right, regardless of your legal obligations or the commonly understood rules of homeownership.
However it sounds kind of peevish to stack the wood on their property after you cut it up. Why not just stack it in the street like everybody else? If you would take the high road on your tree, why not take it with theirs? In fact, putting the scraps back in their yard is NOT legal, as far as I understand it, and doesn't really show that you have any desire to be a good neighbor. Why not model the behavior that you wish others to exhibit?
Will the town take the wood if I stack it in the street? I wasn't sure if they would take pieces that big. I didn't think they would. Anyone know? My wife is telling me I can't stack it on their property, so I'm sure I will break down and put it on the curb as long as I am not paying anyone to take it.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM

45,400 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Put the wood out front with a sign "Free Firewood". It will be gone tomorrow.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
Huh??? I knew no one agreed with me. I was just stated again because I still can't believe it. If it was my tree of course I would pay for it. I just don't get it.

My recycling bin was knocked over during sandy which resulted in about 5 or 6 items to go on the same neighbors property. Should I have left them since it was an act of god??
Your perspective is all or nothing. Several stray items blown next door of course I would pick them up, several thousand to get a tree removed, nope. Based on how the tree fell the insurance will dictate who pays what.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Your perspective is all or nothing. Several stray items blown next door of course I would pick them up, several thousand to get a tree removed, nope. Based on how the tree fell the insurance will dictate who pays what.
Both insurance companies said they won't take down the tree. I don't think I have damage. The only damage my neighbor has is the top pipe on their chain link fence.

And yes, I picked the items when my recycling bin tipped over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: