Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 14,514 times

Advertisements

Since the original permit was dated back in 1998 , would i have to pay any back taxes on the cac ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM

21 posts, read 33,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH55 View Post
Since the original permit was dated back in 1998 , would i have to pay any back taxes on the cac ?
Land Record Viewer

Check your property description here. You may be being taxed for it already. I think they start taxing it once you pull the permit, not when you get the CO. They won't bag you with back taxes though.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM

First off , Thanks to all that have given their input , much appreciated

So today i go down to the building department to see exactly where i stand with the CAC permit. Well it seems back in 1998 ( its been so long i have forgotten all the details) the town building department DID come to the house and check the CAC. The person at the CO office opened my file and sees all the correct paperwork. The only problem is that the electrical certificate was not sent to them until after 1999 a year after the permit was issued and the original permit was only valid for one year so at that point it was expired and i find out now i should have refiled or got some sort of extension and at a cost to me of course. I can only think that i thought the contractor who installed the CAC sent the town the electrical certificate but they didnt. it may sound a little confusing , but they have all the paperwork !! it as that the electrical certificate wasnt given to the town within the correct time frame. SO , the town now wants me to pay 750 bucks and have an inspector come out and see the CAC. Seeing all the correct documents in that file and then the person in the office tell me i have to pay all that money is ridiculous. This is what is holding up my refi.......government can be so unreasonable sometimes...any thoughts would be appreciated

Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
First off , Thanks to all that have given their input , much appreciated

So today i go down to the building department to see exactly where i stand with the CAC permit. Well it seems back in 1998 ( its been so long i have forgotten all the details) the town building department DID come to the house and check the CAC. The person at the CO office opened my file and sees all the correct paperwork. The only problem is that the electrical certificate was not sent to them until after 1999 a year after the permit was issued and the original permit was only valid for one year so at that point it was expired and i find out now i should have refiled or got some sort of extension and at a cost to me of course. I can only think that i thought the contractor who installed the CAC sent the town the electrical certificate but they didnt. it may sound a little confusing , but they have all the paperwork !! it as that the electrical certificate wasnt given to the town within the correct time frame. SO , the town now wants me to pay 750 bucks and have an inspector come out and see the CAC. Seeing all the correct documents in that file and then the person in the office tell me i have to pay all that money is ridiculous. This is what is holding up my refi.......government can be so unreasonable sometimes...any thoughts would be appreciated
This is similar to my situation. We found the open permit, the town came and told me I needed an electrical certificate. The prior owner had paid to extend the permit (open since 1953!) but that extension expired...so I had to pay for the extension ($100) and then pay the electrical inspector, then I was done.

If I'm reading this right, you got all the work done and your contractor submitted everything late, so they want you to pay to renew the permit and have them re-inspect. If I'm getting that right, the only thing I could offer is hopefully the AC contractor is still in business...if you can find them, call and see what, if anyhing, they'll do. They should really work to correct this at their expense.

Short of that, it's either find another lender to refi or pony up. That permit ain't going away by itself.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Ugh....it's so wrong that towns only give you a year to get a CO. One thing I'll say for Garden City, they don't use that rule.

I would see if there is an expeditor that you can use to push this through. Unfortunately municipalities know that this is a huge money maker for their cash-strapped coffers because most people have done a ton of un-permitted work and they hope to catch them.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unfortunately municipalities know that this is a huge money maker for their cash-strapped coffers because most people have done a ton of un-permitted work and they hope to catch them.
The cynic in me believes this 150% but why didn't it apply to me? I have a hard time believing this sentiment because of my (lucky) experience. They could have had a field day with me (and the prior owner)...

Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
That's unreal......I would meet with the Head of the Building Department and plead your case. I would say if you pay the extension fee for the permit....could of hundred bucks and let them close it out without another inspection. Worse case, he says no....then get an expiditer.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 AM

UPDATE !! .....and thanks again to all who gave me their input

i went down to building dept , spoke with a very nice woman who listened to the details of the situation .she walked my file all around the office to different people and she came back to me and said the cost would be reduced to $100 and i walked out with a certificate of completion. very happy ending as i see it.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:

i went down to building dept , spoke with a very nice woman who listened to the details of the situation .she walked my file all around the office to different people and she came back to me and said the cost would be reduced to $100 and i walked out with a certificate of completion. very happy ending as i see it.
That's great - sometimes it's all about getting the right person.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:

Sounds reasonable to me! Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island