Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:27 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,963 times

Advertisements

I have moved to Long Island 6 years ago and am on the Long Beach branch (sometimes, I take train on Babylon branch as the stops are equidistant from my house).

I have noticed that for the past 3-6 months, the performance ahs been dismal and I know many people say that LIRR sucks, but in the 6 years, I experiences only occasional delays. Now, every day there are delays due to either equipment problems, switch troubles, train derailment, not a day goes by without something happening.

Of course, the system is not a spring chicken and shows its age, the corruption is rampant, but up till recently, it still did not have such a bad effect on a daily commute, now, it feels that something is being grossly mismanaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 11:44 AM

181 posts, read 445,266 times
It's usually one of those fat garbage zombies that sit on the equipment and break it after they're done collecting tickets.

DURRRRRRRR TICKETS PLEASE UH UH UH

Just last week I saw an off duty garbage zombie taking up two seats like jabba the hut

Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,980 times
Alot of the delays are caused by a train striking a person or vehicle...someone committing suicide or someone trying to beat the warning signs. Last month there was a plane crash by the tracks, and another freight train derailment. This kind of thing is uncommon and out of the hands of the rail road. There was also a passenger who fell into the gap...moron!

The signal and equipment problems need to be addressed for sure

Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,238,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
I have noticed that for the past 3-6 months, the performance ahs been dismal and I know many people say that LIRR sucks, but in the 6 years, I experiences only occasional delays.
wait until Winter

Old 10-01-2015, 01:00 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,453,434 times
Railroad is a single word not two words. So the fact it is the LIRR and not LIR shows they were stupid right from the start.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Railroad is a single word not two words. So the fact it is the LIRR and not LIR shows they were stupid right from the start.
Lol. That was probably the smartest and funniest thing u ever said.
Writing this as I'm on the "LIR"

Old 10-02-2015, 05:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,325,464 times
It does seem like the LIRR has gotten worse. Every day it seems a major problem, today it was switch trouble at West Side Yard and in Mineola, the other day it was a East River tunnel power problem. The system is not being well maintained (I guess the NICE Bus disease has spread).
There are huge potholes at Mineola on the south platform, have complained to the MTA several times about it and they have yet to fix all of them.

This would seem like a huge tripping hazard, something you'd think the MTA would be concerned about since they should be worried about being sued. Generally its gotten bad all over, but I have noticed the Babylon Branch seems to fare the best. It's interesting the LIRR has spent millions on renovating Massapequa, Seaford, and now Wantagh platforms, but little has been done for the much more aging and busier Main Line stations. Unlike the Babylon Branch most of us don't even have canopies! Babylon gets the most trains and the best stations and its hardly a coincidence that this part of Nassau County often has the most power in the State Senate GOP, whereas the middle of the island is less important, politically. Now that those aformentioned South Shore areas now have become rich and full of finanicial industry folks, it shouldn't come as a surprise they get the best service. Of course when we are talking about the LIRR which is considered PUBLIC transportation yet they aren't neccesarily providing the best service to the busiest areas.
Of course failures at & around Penn screw everybody. This is just another example of a Government agency failing to meet the needs of the population it is supposed to service. Instead, it serves itself. Privatization, however, is not the answer, we just have to look at NICE Bus to see that.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM

852 posts, read 969,539 times
Everybody repeat after me: Everything on LI only gets worse.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 536,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Everybody repeat after me: Everything on LI only gets worse.
LIRR pensions never looked better.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:08 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,405,223 times
The other day there was a pigeon in the train while I was boarding it at Penn Station. A heroic man chased it away off the train while the rest of us were screaming like little girls. I'm sure the bird caused some sort of delays. He also got a free ride to Penn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island