Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM

414 posts, read 808,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
The ticket was given in Flower Hill; I have to show up in Flower Hill Village Court, in Manhasset. Has anyone appeared there? Any tips?
Never been there, much less even heard of it. My only tip, the local towns are all about the money. If it was not a serious moving violation they will probably reduce it to a parking ticket. Parking = village gets all the money, moving violation = share with town. When I got a ticket a few years ago in Port Jeff Village, when i went to court they were plea bargaining everything down to parking tickets. The faster you were speeding, the higher the fine, but still no points so I paid and left with nothing on my record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryangry View Post
Never been there, much less even heard of it. My only tip, the local towns are all about the money. If it was not a serious moving violation they will probably reduce it to a parking ticket. Parking = village gets all the money, moving violation = share with town. When I got a ticket a few years ago in Port Jeff Village, when i went to court they were plea bargaining everything down to parking tickets. The faster you were speeding, the higher the fine, but still no points so I paid and left with nothing on my record.
Thanks for the encouraging reply. It's a "passed stop sign" violation so I'm hoping for the best. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
This post is just to update this thread and add some specifics from my case.

Got a speeding ticket on Meadowbrook Pkwy (75mph in a 55-zone). Replied via mail, pleaded not-guilty. In a few weeks I received a letter with my court date (2 months?) at 16 Cooper Street, Hempstead, NY.

I am in my 40's and have a pretty clean record (at least for the last few years...only one small moving violation about 3 yrs ago).

I showed up, sat in a room with about 100 other people. One by one we were called up to the front by 1 of the 3 or 4 prosecutors (?). For me, I was immediately told that because of my clean record they would knock the speeding ticket down to jaywalking, $180 fine. I was waiting for about an hour and 15 minutes, the plea bargaining took no more than 15 seconds.

I sat back down, waited for my name to be called again (~30 mins). At this point you walk into another room with about 10 other people and the judge presents your case, you agree, you leave and pay fine.

Bring a book or magazine to read.

I was initially nervous that I would need a lawyer, how I would actually plea bargain and generally about what could go wrong. Turns out there was no real need to worry but was probably a factor of a clean record and that I wasn't doing anything too crazy (although 20 mph over limit is not insignificant I don't believe it to be reckless, especially on an open highway on a nice day - no rain, snow).

Hope this helps others.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,829 times
Are you allowed to go to the court (16 Cooper Street) before the hearing date printed on the ticket?

Old 06-04-2015, 08:17 AM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin010 View Post
I am 35. Never had any speeding tickets. Clean record and had my license since 19 (sans an accident 4 yrs ago). I honestly was rushing to use the bathroom. I have no other excuses. I only told the office sorry and that I didn't realize I was speeding (because I really didn't, other cars were "speeding" but I was the one pulled over).

I also got a ticket for tints (though a tintometer wasn't used to determine the tints were illegal). I plan on getting these tints ripped off of my windows in a few days.

People are telling me to plead not guilty. Wouldn't this complicate things? This took place in Elmont. I have about two months till my court date. I am beyond nervous as I've never even been in court before.

Plead NOT Guilty to the Judge. they will then send you a date in the mail to come back to the court.

There will be a couple of prosecutors sitting there to discuss your case....just dress well (pants and shirt) talk nicely....and just say i am sorry about this - i was a little bit fast...but not 50 in a 30. this is my first ever offense...yada yada yada....and then eventually they will make you an offer....keep nagging - eggs are expensive, milk is expensive i have 3 kids....

they will end up giving you a non-moving seat belt violation - pay the fine and leave.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apult View Post
For me, I was immediately told that because of my clean record they would knock the speeding ticket down to jaywalking, $180 fine. I was waiting for about an hour and 15 minutes, the plea bargaining took no more than 15 seconds.
This statement alone tells the whole story - it's all about the dollars and not about public safety. Jaywalking?!?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
Smile Speeding ticket 82 in a 55

I would like to thank all you fine ppl over here....

I got a speeding ticket in Sept for going 82 in 55 on the LIE and 1 for each of my tints.... 5 in total :/

At first i was gonna hire a lawyer but after reading this forum i was confident i could do it on my own!!

Today was my court date a 16 Cooper & Everything went EXACTLY as stated here at first then ....

The judge did not want to let me go without any points b/c i was "supposedly" going so fast!
Even though the prosecutor already told me no points just a fine!!

So the judge offered me 2 points instead of 6 which i denied and said ill get a lawyer...

So he called the prosecutor back in and ask him why he thinks i should not get any points and he spoke my license is clean and yadda yadda yadda ...

The judge then agreed and i had to pay over $500 in fines

Everything has a surcharge even the dismissed tickets but im not mad ... Ill pay for no points anyday!!

Thanks once again

Last edited by msbuffy104; 10-27-2015 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: update

Old 10-27-2015, 05:02 PM

5 posts, read 6,152 times
I also suggest to go with lawyer because he can negotiated the point because if you get the points the your insurance will go up. i am going to send you the information of my lawyer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island