Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 36,122 times

Advertisements

I am 35. Never had any speeding tickets. Clean record and had my license since 19 (sans an accident 4 yrs ago). I honestly was rushing to use the bathroom. I have no other excuses. I only told the office sorry and that I didn't realize I was speeding (because I really didn't, other cars were "speeding" but I was the one pulled over).

I also got a ticket for tints (though a tintometer wasn't used to determine the tints were illegal). I plan on getting these tints ripped off of my windows in a few days.

People are telling me to plead not guilty. Wouldn't this complicate things? This took place in Elmont. I have about two months till my court date. I am beyond nervous as I've never even been in court before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM

520 posts, read 1,653,562 times
Plead not guilty. You go to court and they give you a counter offer with a lower charge without having to see a judge. Nothing to be nervous about. You're 35...

Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM

I'm 35, but have never been in a courtroom ever, so I had no idea what to do. When I plead "Not Guilty", don't I have to explain myself or something, or say "why" I want to plead not guilty? Like I said, I have no priors, and up to now a squeaky clean record.

Thanks for responding by the way. Do I just say "I plead not guilty". I don't know what to say after that (you can tell I'm a complete dweeb and novice).

I am also about to take a defensive drivers course.

According to my research I'd receive 6 points correct?

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
Relax man. Plead guilty.Pay the fine.Enjoy the weekend.
-or-
Plead Not Guilty. Stress. Go to court.Stress. Lose. Stress.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM

236 posts, read 473,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin010 View Post
I'm 35, but have never been in a courtroom ever, so I had no idea what to do. When I plead "Not Guilty", don't I have to explain myself or something, or say "why" I want to plead not guilty? Like I said, I have no priors, and up to now a squeaky clean record.

Thanks for responding by the way. Do I just say "I plead not guilty". I don't know what to say after that (you can tell I'm a complete dweeb and novice).

I am also about to take a defensive drivers course.

According to my research I'd receive 6 points correct?
I've gotten one speeding ticket and it was nearly the same as yours. Judge read the charge and asked if I'd be willing to plead guilty to a non-moving violation. I said yes and went on to pay a fine to the clerk. No points.

This was in Lynbrook village court, though. Not sure how much different it is in Nassau. Judging by my experience and observing what went on in the court ahead of my "case," if this is your first ticket you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 PM

The cop said I have to go court. He said "in Nassau you have to court, you won't know anything until you go".

So IDK. When I go, plead guilty and pay the fine? Then get points on my license, higher insurance, etc?

IDK what to do if I plead not guilty. Since I have no court experience, I wouldn't know what to say anyway. If I plead not guilty, then I have to make yet another court date after the first....

Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Make sure to pack a bag with some of your belongings if you plead not guilty. If you lose, you will get 1 day in the slammer for every MPH over the limit.

I'm kidding of course. I haven't gotten a ticket in a while. From what I remember you should be able to plead not guilty by mailing in the ticket. Then they will send you a letter with the new court date. There you can plea bargain it down to less points or if you get very lucky, no points... Either way there will be a hefty fine + surcharges. Don't forget to bring your checkbook.

Last edited by Pequaman; 02-06-2013 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Make sure to pack a bag with some of your belongings if you plead not guilty. If you lose, you will get 1 day in the slammer for every MPH over the limit.
Yup, no chance for bail. I hate that when that happens.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,137 times
Several years ago I got a ticket doing 78 in a 55 after JUST having switched to a new auto insurance company - here's what happened:

1) I hired a lawyer
2) Lawyer went to court for me
3) Lawyer negotiated ticket down to a non-reportable offense
4) Lawyer negotiated a $400 donation by me to the county coffers

In the end - it's all about raising revenue for the County. As long as the County whores get their cut - they are happy. I doubt I would have achieved the above outcome without a lawyer.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM

Which lawyer did you hire? Maybe I should hire one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island