Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM

26 posts, read 52,919 times

Advertisements

My bf just got a job offer on LI and we are weighing pros and cons, would like some input!

We do not have kids nor plan to. We have a 35lb pitbull mix who does fine in apartments and 2 cats. I know how difficult it can be to try and rent with a pit so we will probably be looking at renting small houses too, but would be great if anybody could recommend places with no breed restrictions. I also have a horse that I will need to find a boarding stable for.

My bf's job will take him to various places all over LI, mostly the middle areas, not near NYC, so we need a place on the island, no commuting from the mainland. We both prefer space, quiet and as rural as one can get there. Since neither of us has ever been there, we are overwhelmed trying to get an idea of what areas would be best given our preferences, but still be in our budget, what places would be in our budget and maybe not exactly what we want but at least not be a bad, dangerous area to live, and what places to avoid at all costs.

My bf will be making $70-80k a year. I recently graduated cosmetology school and am working in a salon. I'm very nervous about finding a decent paying hairstylist job there since I don't have much experience or a client base, and I'm sure the competition there is fierce since NYC is a stylists Mecca. We are coming from Texas (although we are both from the Midwest so will be used to the weather). Any advice or input is appreciated. Our big deciding factor is if his much higher salary would be worth it if we are going to have a much higher cost of living and it not balance out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Pitbull
Horse
70-80k per year
Rent small house
Peace, quiet and space in a rural setting

Pie in the Sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is Long Island....

Visit before moving.

and interesting wording there..MAINLAND...never really felt Long Island really isnt the MAINLAND.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
So a pitbull, a horse and a hairstylist walk into a bar...

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstar898 View Post
I'm very nervous about finding a decent paying hairstylist job there since I don't have much experience or a client base, and I'm sure the competition there is fierce since NYC is a stylists Mecca.
You could do house calls especially if you're in a rural area. Or you can do house calls in or near the city (which has a larger client base) and commute when you have appointments.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,339 times
Welcome Mstar898. 70 to 80K is low for LI and I assume you will have a small salary until you build up clients. I think you may consider Rocky Point or Sound Beach for small rentals and near horse stables. There a many stables in Suffolk County, but you should really visit here and ask a realtor to show you around. They will be able to show you rentals and houses to buy and get you familar with the areas. LI is very different than many other parts of the country in that towns that are right next to each other can have very different cultures or flavors. It all depends on what you like and want. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:42 PM

216 posts, read 446,079 times
Google horse boarding on Long Island. Click on "Boarding" and it also shows a map of Long Island to get a good feel for the different areas. Good Luck!

Long Island Equestrian Network

Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
With respect to the pure economics of your decision...
• While you are coming from a state with no personal income tax, your boyfriend is likely to fall in the 7% state income tax bracket here in NY.
• I don't know what your sales tax is in Texas - but it's 8.625% here.
• You are likely to pay more for gas here due to higher state gasoline taxes.
• It might be worth a call to your auto insurance company to see if your rates will be higher here.
• You are likely to pay more for electric here (it is often reported that we have one of the highest electric rates in the country)

Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

245 posts, read 495,716 times
How soon will you be moving here? I may know someplace in Islip Terrace. Boarding horses in the yard, first floor apt and I don't think they would have a problem with the pit since they take in any stray they found. I just am not sure if they have a tenant right now. BTW the woman also is a hairdresser.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstar898 View Post
My bf just got a job offer on LI and we are weighing pros and cons, would like some input!

We do not have kids nor plan to. We have a 35lb pitbull mix who does fine in apartments and 2 cats. I know how difficult it can be to try and rent with a pit so we will probably be looking at renting small houses too, but would be great if anybody could recommend places with no breed restrictions. I also have a horse that I will need to find a boarding stable for.

My bf's job will take him to various places all over LI, mostly the middle areas, not near NYC, so we need a place on the island, no commuting from the mainland. We both prefer space, quiet and as rural as one can get there. Since neither of us has ever been there, we are overwhelmed trying to get an idea of what areas would be best given our preferences, but still be in our budget, what places would be in our budget and maybe not exactly what we want but at least not be a bad, dangerous area to live, and what places to avoid at all costs.

My bf will be making $70-80k a year. I recently graduated cosmetology school and am working in a salon. I'm very nervous about finding a decent paying hairstylist job there since I don't have much experience or a client base, and I'm sure the competition there is fierce since NYC is a stylists Mecca. We are coming from Texas (although we are both from the Midwest so will be used to the weather). Any advice or input is appreciated. Our big deciding factor is if his much higher salary would be worth it if we are going to have a much higher cost of living and it not balance out.
There used to be many more places to board horses on LI, but the developer's bulldozer and huge property taxes have put an end to that. Between the scarcity of stables and a generally sky-high cost of living, owning and maintaining a horse is a luxury.

Having said that, I would look on Eastern LI, places like Yaphank or Manorville, for facilities. It helps that neither you nor your boyfriend is dependent on NYC, since the commute from Eastern LI would be an awful commute into the city.

Good Luck.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM

638 posts, read 1,282,263 times
I can speak on the horse boarding thing, as I have owned a small boarding facility in the middle of LI for 35 years. Board expenses will vary greatly due to location, amenities, and services, but you should plan on about 600-700 a month for full board, and that's with no indoor. Backyard barns might be a bit less, unless they are on a park. Do you show, hunt, trail ride, need a trainer, and what discipline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island