Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
They started in the right direction with the park/beach improvements, but they should really make it an actual destination again and drive people to it and make it an attraction...like a real lake town. I'm in the area and hope that is the case eventually.
Making it a destination and incorporating some of the area's history, coupled with proximity to the train and (hopefully) a vibrant, new HUB area would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I think something the OP should take into consideration is the huge project which is getting off the ground for the 'Ronkonkoma HUB' area:
Brookhaven Approves Historic Ronkonkoma Hub Master Developer Agreement with TRITEC | General Announcements, Planning & Land Use | Lake Ronkonkoma Civic Organization
I mean I get it - the big picture... airport, rail, expressway - all right there. It's a good idea. Couldn't it just mean the immediate areas are worth more as commercial and parking? Lots of parking... lots.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,013 times
They're tearing down the Bavarian in now, thank God. As for the Meat Farms shopping center, I parked there and was going in to shop one day. When I opened the car door and looked down, there was a used condom on the ground next to my car.

I'm not sure what goes on there at night but it's not good.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:34 PM

362 posts, read 645,755 times
Lake Ronkonkoma is alright. It's very mixed. Some streets are nice and some streets are dingy little bungalows.
I would buy a little less home in a slightly better area, for value. Just my two cents (I live in Lake Grove and know the area well). Check out Holbrook, Lake Grove, and even smaller cute houses in Nesconset. They will always retain their value and appreciate handsomely when the market rises, which seems to be happening, although it's very slow.

Either way, good luck!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
I just recently moved to the area (we are a couple minutes east of Lake Ronkonkoma). We were a little meh about the area, but after being here over a month, we like it. It's much quieter and we feel we get the best of both worlds being in Central Suffolk. I drive through Lake Ronkonkoma daily and I have no problems with it.

As for neighbors, they all mostly keep to themselves. We do have a house next to ours that is in foreclosure, abandoned and is in bad shape. We know we like in a good neighborhood, when the neighbor across the street from the abandoned house mows the front lawn to prevent the rest of the neighborhood from looking like crud.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 549 times
Default Hheeelpppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicktght311 View Post
Ended up speaking to a few friends who live in the area, and the general consensus i get is that its nothing but middle to upper middle class working families, with young children outside playing without any worry of anything. As long as you dont purposefully go to the north end of the lake and sit there with a sign on your back *think Die Hard With a Vengeance* its just like living anywhere else on long island. Heck even in the upper class areas of huntington, you're still 3 miles from very dangerous NY Ave in Huntington Station
Hi sicktght311 my husband and I are looking to purchase a home in the lake ronkonkoma area. Close to the CVS on Portion Road and the Jax lounge. I was wondering if you could share your input now that you've lived there. Any insight would help. How is the area? Safe? How are the schools? I keep reading things about the lake and toxins in the lake, should i be worried about the water in that area? I've also read about the Ronkonkoma Hub and how this will eventually lead to overcrowding in schools. Please any input would help.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island