Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What Assistant Conductors make.

I looked it up online and got roughly this:

Asst Conductors= $55k base, ~$60k median after OT + platinum benes
Conductors= $75k base , ~$125k median after OT + platinum benes

Some were even as high as $200k+
This is for 2010 so it's likely higher now.

The public could offer $55k base, 1.5x OT, 401k, 25% into healthcare, and there would be no shortage of qualified conductors.

SeeThroughNY :: Home
Is there a job title called "collector" for ticket punchers on the LIRR? He mentioned "conductors acting as collectors."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is there a job title called "collector" for ticket punchers on the LIRR? He mentioned "conductors acting as collectors."
No, I didn't see collector listed, unless I missed it. I have a feeling the collectors are asst conductors.

found this when I google it: What Do Long Island Rail Road Conductors Really Do? (bear in mind the $numbers in that blog are much lower than what I just saw on seethroughny).

edit: correction - asst conductors are actually at $68k base, $80k after OT. But there are way more conductors.

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-08-2013 at 05:02 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:15 PM

3,531 posts, read 5,718,780 times
Quote:
Quote:
No, I didn't see collector listed, unless I missed it. I have a feeling the collectors are asst conductors.

found this when I google it: What Do Long Island Rail Road Conductors Really Do? (bear in mind the $numbers in that blog are much lower than what I just saw on seethroughny).

edit: correction - asst conductors are actually at $68k base, $80k after OT. But there are way more conductors.
collector = assistant conductor. There are conductors working in asst conductor positions though.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
LOL!

This could be the LIRR union man's motto:

Former LIRR electrician gets prison for disability fraud
He is ripping off the RR pension fund (which is federally run), so he is robbing from the whole USA

Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:

This is for LIRR 2010 so it's likely higher now. Let's face it, we all know it's a sweet gig.

The public could offer $55k base, 1.5x OT, 401k, 25% into healthcare, and there would be no shortage of qualified conductors.

How do you the public could offer that? Can you feed your family on 55K? Full qualification takes 2 years. OT is managed by the RR, they call people in for OT and mgmt approves it. They could hire more people but that would make more people you'd be complaining about getting pensions and "platnium" benefits. Govt benefits are decent, they are not platnium.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,413,586 times
Quote:

This is for LIRR 2010 so it's likely higher now. Let's face it, we all know it's a sweet gig.

To make that $200k is rare, along with that person spending ALL his/her time away from home/family. I have NO issues with this....they deserve to get paid for the long hours and no family life....the base is not all that much for long island standards..its just enough to get by.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:24 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:

• Jointly coordinate with the engineer and dispatcher the train's movement authority, and verifying this authority is not exceeded
  • Ensuring that any cars and cargo are picked up and dropped off properly
  • Completing en-route paperwork (Amtrak & Freight)
  • Ensuring the train follows applicable safety rules and practices
  • Controlling the train's movement while operating in reverse
  • Coupling or uncoupling cars
  • Assisting with setting out or picking up of rolling stock
  • Carrying out running repairs
    Ticket collection and other customer service duties
  • Opening and closing train doors
  • Signal the engineer when to start or stop moving
  • Keep records of consignment notes and waybills

Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
To make that $200k is rare, along with that person spending ALL his/her time away from home/family. I have NO issues with this....they deserve to get paid for the long hours and no family life....the base is not all that much for long island standards..its just enough to get by.
Thats pretty much most of the Transportation Industry , its not a 9-5 job like most people think it is , its all over the place and the people that go into this Industry deserve the pay they get. Most people rarely stay more then 4 years unless they love the Railroad or Bus Service industry , its a grueling schedule....that is rarely set unless you work for Urban Transit which is usually 9-12hrs a day or 5am to 5pm...or something like that. If you do stay you get rewarded with pay increases and Free travel around North America via Amtrak and Freight pickups and some Airlines.... The Pay on Average starts at 45k for the first few years , then after 5 years it climbs to 60 or 70k for Conductors , for Engineers its higher at 80 starting for most , and can climb to 120k after 10 years....this applies to Freight which can climb to 190k after 10 years in certain companies.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
How do you the public could offer that? Can you feed your family on 55K? Full qualification takes 2 years. OT is managed by the RR, they call people in for OT and mgmt approves it. They could hire more people but that would make more people you'd be complaining about getting pensions and "platnium" benefits. Govt benefits are decent, they are not platnium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I never said to bring it down to $55k. I simply said you could offer $55k and still attract enough qualified conductors. Do you disagree with this? Regardless, if not $55k, let's agree that the public could attract more than enough qualified conductors at well-below their current pay (of $125k avg + stellar benefits) --- fair enough?

Now, that answers the part about being overpaid.

Suzook, the base + OT + benefits is probably closer to $150k-$180k for the average conductor. Go look at seethrough if you want. At least half were totaling between $125k-$200k. Do you really think that's a fair pay scale for the job?
I'd say that's a little more generous than "just enough to get by." In fact, there are thousands of professions that earn well below that on LI. The MHI is $95k--as in median HOUSEHOLD Income. (Did you miss the making money on LI thread and the "LI needs more high paying jobs thread?)

The problem with overpaying for public sector jobs that are essentially nonproductive/noninnovative by nature, is it's unsustainable over the long term, and there are ramifications to this. Even teachers seem underpaid compared to conductors. Never thought I'd say that.

When you overpay the majority of public sector workers, it robs from the private sector--the main "producers" in NY. This is why many people rightfully believe they (unions) are the source of most of the problems on LI. So, think about how much the MTA takes from everyone and realize they are essentially just robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're saying it's okay for the conductor to "get by" on $125k + full benefits, yet thousands, hundreds of thousands of people on LI earn 1/2 that in various professions. Why aren't you concerned about the well-being of those people earning what the market will pay them? These are people you interact with everyday. To add insult to injury, these same people earning the median LI salary have to pay for the aforementioned excessive salaries--whether they use it or not.

I am not attacking conductors, it's the fact that the majority of these "govt-picking-winners" gigs (conductors being one of them) pulling in $150k+ total comp is what leads to the insane COL, the cut-throat nature of NY...The black cloud hanging over NY and the reason why LI is so uncompetitive.

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-08-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,413,586 times
Quote:
I never said to bring it down to $55k. I simply said you could offer $55k and still attract enough qualified conductors. Do you disagree with this? Regardless, if not $55k, let's agree that the public could attract more than enough qualified conductors at well-below their current pay (of $125k avg + stellar benefits) --- fair enough?

Now, that answers the part about being overpaid.

Suzook, the base + OT + benefits is probably closer to $150k-$180k for the average conductor. Go look at seethrough if you want. At least half were totaling between $125k-$200k. Do you really think that's a fair pay scale for the job?
I'd say that's a little more generous than "just enough to get by." In fact, there are thousands of professions that earn well below that on LI. The MHI is $95k--as in median HOUSEHOLD Income. (Did you miss the making money on LI thread and the "LI needs more high paying jobs thread?)

The problem with overpaying for public sector jobs that are essentially nonproductive/noninnovative by nature, is it's unsustainable over the long term, and there are ramifications to this. Even teachers seem underpaid compared to conductors. Never thought I'd say that.

When you overpay the majority of public sector workers, it robs from the private sector--the main "producers" in NY. This is why many people rightfully believe they (unions) are the source of most of the problems on LI. So, think about how much the MTA takes from everyone and realize they are essentially just robbing Peter to pay Paul. You're saying it's okay for the conductor to "get by" on $125k + full benefits, yet thousands, hundreds of thousands of people on LI earn 1/2 that in various professions. Why aren't you concerned about the well-being of those people earning what the market will pay them? These are people you interact with everyday. To add insult to injury, these same people earning the median LI salary have to pay for the aforementioned excessive salaries--whether they use it or not.

I am not attacking conductors, it's the fact that the majority of these "govt-picking-winners" gigs (conductors being one of them) pulling in $150k+ total comp is what leads to the insane COL, the cut-throat nature of NY...The black cloud hanging over NY and the reason why LI is so uncompetitive.
Bottom line? These people making that $125k are always at work....they deserve it. Sorry, that's how I feel. Family/home time is worth a lot IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island