Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 08:20 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
I thought poor, middle, upper middle class and etc was based on more net worth than salary.

So i can make 400k and blow it all and have nothing to show for it and be upper middle?
Failed logic and i think that's the problem with the long island mentality
No, you're broke, but you could have been upper-middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM

213 posts, read 728,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
No, you're broke, but you could have been upper-middle class.
Not according to some of the post here. Its only income

So 400k a year is upper middle

While someone making 100k and has a net worth of 5 million is poor.

Like clarkstreet said it isnt just income. Its a whole different aspects which define. However one should care about lables.

If you can support yourself and family and are happy that is rich to some.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:44 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
I stand by my numbers for the situation I described.
You stand by them but you do not provide any proof. Just do the calculation.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:23 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Quote:
Not according to some of the post here. Its only income

So 400k a year is upper middle

While someone making 100k and has a net worth of 5 million is poor.

Like clarkstreet said it isnt just income. Its a whole different aspects which define. However one should care about lables.

If you can support yourself and family and are happy that is rich to some.
Ha. $100k/yr and $5 mill net worth?! You see THAT every day! Home? Good luck paying the taxes for that on $100k. Art? Good luck with the insurance? Savings? The interest alone would put income over $100k assuming they worked anywhere other than taco bell. Retirement? OK, lucky inheritance or lottery. Hardly the norm here or anywhere else for that matter.

To keep the intelligence level on the thread up, let's assume UPPER middle class means more than "supporting your family and being happy." Oy vay.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:49 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
To keep the intelligence level on the thread up, let's assume UPPER middle class means more than "supporting your family and being happy." Oy vay.
Let's rephrase the orignal question to: To be considered UMC what percentage of families does your family need to have a greater income?

If family incomes are normally distributed then ~84% of families have family incomes less than a family having an income of one sd above the mean, two sd is ~98%.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think it depends on the kind of SUV they can buy with debt.

If they can afford 2 Escalades, they are middle class.

If they can afford a BMW and a Land Rover, they are UMC.
Lease or Buy? Big difference - many of those people driving those "new" Bimmer and Rovers are renting from the bank with no intention of owning either because they don't have the money to buy it outright or like to breathe in those VOC's every 3 years.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
VOC.....could also stand for Very Old Car smell.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Ha. $100k/yr and $5 mill net worth?! You see THAT every day! Home? Good luck paying the taxes for that on $100k. Art? Good luck with the insurance? Savings? The interest alone would put income over $100k assuming they worked anywhere other than taco bell. Retirement? OK, lucky inheritance or lottery. Hardly the norm here or anywhere else for that matter.

Typical long island thinking or lack there of.

I know many people in there 50s making 100k and has a networth 2 to 5 million. By that point these people have there houses paid in full.

I never said supporting family and happy means upper class i said the lables shouldnt matter but of course you miss the point.

Your thinking or lack there of is a prime example why most long islanders will suffer. Cant read the words in front of them

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
I know many people in there 50s making 100k and has a networth 2 to 5 million.
All civil servants.

ducks and runs

Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
All civil servants.

ducks and runs
Honestly yes some of them are but not all. The ones who work private sector saved, didnt foolish spend their money and had investments.

They wanted to have 20% for a house. Normal car not a 50k one. Didnt buy things to keep up with the Jones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island