Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:10 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdown00 View Post
Hello All,

We recently purchased a home at the end of Jan 2013 (current year). Since then I have been having a tough time figuring out the STAR discount.

Per mynassauproperty.com, the house already has a star discount applied to it, but when I recieve my mortgage payment, when doing the math, it is billing me my full tax amount and not including any star benefit. I have talked to the bank and they have stated they are just billing me what they are being billed for taxes. I have confirmed with the county that the star discount is applied to the account and I should be seeing it.

does anyone know who I can contact about this in the county office? It is impossible to get anyone on the phone so I had to take a day off to go there. They are still clearly billing the bank the higher tax amount without the STAR. This has been an ongoing issue and I just don't understand it, nor do I know who to go to anymore.

Thank you!
You said you were in Nassau. This is from the Town of Hempstead website; you didn't say your town:

'The Basic STAR Exemption has been extended to all primary residence homeowners, regardless of age. Annual household income must be $500,000 or less. Basic STAR does not have to be renewed each year, however, a new STAR application must be filed when a new deed is filed on the property or if the primary residence of a property changes.'

Most towns have something like this in any part of NYS. Please note what what I posted in red.
You may qualify, but if you don't apply, as it is a new purchase and a new deed had to have been filed, you won't get the STAR.

Find your Town, get an application, file it. By fall, you should get the discount. It will be applied to the bill and your mortgage company will only pay the amont with STAR savings. You missed the boat by not applying for it the day you bought the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
You missed the boat by not applying for it the day you bought the house
He said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdown00 View Post
I had applied about 4 days after the home closed. At the county office, they told us that it was already on the account and we should be seeing the benefit even though it might not have been in our name. I am def going to go back there and start to raise hell - thank you for this! Clearly there is an issue when the house transferred hands.
So he missed out because he waited 4 days? LMAO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: