Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM

111 posts, read 223,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
What I meant is that founding fathers did not want a govt of tyranny controlling the citizens which is why they are spinning in the graves.

Without going too far off topic, the 2nd amendment is worded the way it should be, clear but open. The same with the 1st amendment as there was no internet, social media back then either.
Mm, I think there is entirely far too much definitive-sounding talk about what the founders wanted or didn't want, when 99% of us are not scholars and cannot really back these assertions up. And don't forget that the founders were hardly in agreement even amongst themselves.
(Not meaning to be picking on only you here...I hear it everywhere I go.)

I disagree re: the 2nd amendment. Laws are generally written in "legalese" for a reason, so that there can be no confusion as to what it means. The 2nd amendment can be, and obviously has been, interpreted in a zillion different ways. The reason the Supreme Court, and lawmakers, continually revisit this issue is because it's not all that clear what the founders intended, and they sure aren't around to ask!

I find this discussion fascinating and have seen other threads get FAR more derailed than this yet remain intact, so I am hoping it is not too offensive to the moderators!

(In the event that it is, I will add that the only people I know in the demographic mentioned who are staying here voluntarily are doing so because they have already launched into the upper middle class, at the very least. I am in the 20-40 demographic myself. And while I would like to be able to stay here, I have no idea if that will ever be possible, as I have no desire to work in the higher-paying positions in finance, law, etc.)

Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
To the people who relocated and are far from their family, I have 5 questions:

1. What do you do when you need a relative to watch your kids for a few hours, if you don't live near any relatives?
We are lucky in that almost my entire family has relocated here. However, they all moved first, so I suppose I could have felt "abandoned" but as a grown up I realize we are responsible for our own lives.

2. What do you do when your parents become elderly, and need care that they can no longer provide for themselves?
We are dealing with this with DH's parents. It is difficult. Luckily they are financially secure and have always believed in taking care of themselves. There is absolutely nothing tying them to the NYC area, though - it is there choice to stay in a home they can no longer manage. Even if we lived there, we wouldn't be able to manage that house for them. At this point, stubbornness has set in.

3. How do you avoid getting lonely when you have no family that you can visit?
Don't really get this question. Have always had friends.

4. How do you find a job when you move to an area where you know nobody and have no professional contacts? How do you find a job where you grew up? Did you grow up with everyone in your industry? Another question I don't get, since people move all over this country every day and find gainful employment.

5. If you have to use up all of your vacation time visiting the family that you abandoned, do you ever get to take a real vacation? Trains, planes and automobiles go both ways. If you choose to spend all your vacation time visiting family, IMHO that is a sorry state of affairs.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
The founding fathers also didn't feel blacks, women, or anyone who didn't own property were not worthy of a voice in their government.

Just sayin'.

(And this entire thread is quite irritating, what with the unfounded assumptions and broad-brush generalizations flying about. To answer the OP's question: in my anecdotal experience, yes, Long Island is hemorrhaging younger people. And it doesn't seem like too many politicians care about this.)
Welcome to the internet chat board, you were expecting pointed intelligent discussion??

Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
The founding fathers also didn't feel blacks, women, or anyone who didn't own property were not worthy of a voice in their government.

Just sayin'.

(And this entire thread is quite irritating, what with the unfounded assumptions and broad-brush generalizations flying about. To answer the OP's question: in my anecdotal experience, yes, Long Island is hemorrhaging younger people. And it doesn't seem like too many politicians care about this.)
Yes, that's right, only land owners were permitted to vote. Hmmm.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Back to the topic

If there is a mass exodus, is there a particular place or a hand full of places that ever one is escaping to? Much like in the 90s when many NYers left for South Florida.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I seem to be the only person on this board who feels that proximity to family is something you cannot put a price on, and that relocating is something I would only do as an absolute last resort.

1. What do you do when you need a relative to watch your kids for a few hours, if you don't live near any relatives?

2. What do you do when your parents become elderly, and need care that they can no longer provide for themselves?

4. How do you find a job when you move to an area where you know nobody and have no professional contacts?

5. If you have to use up all of your vacation time visiting the family that you abandoned, do you ever get to take a real vacation?

1. Daycare or a nannie. What tons of people do. My parents and entire immediate family live in Florida (I did the opposite of most, move from the south to NY). My inlaws live here but are an hour away in Suffolk, and they work full time still.

2. Like other posters have said, planes, trains and automobiles. If they become infirm we will cross that bridge but I doubt they will ever come back to NY.

3. Although like others said friends are great but they are no substitute for family. I do miss my family at times but they fly up here often and I visit down there twice a year at least. Facetime and Skype are also very often used. In a perfect world they would live nearby but life is not perfect, we make the best of our current situation.

4. Its called applying for a position and sending out resumes! I hardly knew anyone here except for a few extended family and managed to land a job without even living here at the time. People do the same thing every day all over the country.

5. Love the wording on this! "Abandoning"??! I have plenty of vac time to burn for family trips and seperate vacations. This has never been an issue for me.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
Many are taking the exodus across the Mississippi river in cities like Austin, Dallas and Jericho in Texas. There are less restrictive second ammendment restrictions in Texas.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
CareerBliss Where the jobs are...

Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
I seem to be the only person on this board who feels that proximity to family is something you cannot put a price on, and that relocating is something I would only do as an absolute last resort.

4. How do you find a job when you move to an area where you know nobody and have no professional contacts?

5. If you have to use up all of your vacation time visiting the family that you abandoned, do you ever get to take a real vacation?
Any responsible adult with a half of a brain can figure out answers to these questions. Everyone is unique and have unique circumstances and would hopefully make the best decisions for themselves and their families. Moving is not dying! Dying is the final answer.

Seriously, this was said before by Twingles....L.I. is one of the only places that you need the support of your family to survive. I don't what it is? Is it misery likes company? Are people to busy to become friendly to each other like in the south? Is it the constant pace to get by that that we only have family to talk to? Do L.I.ers like to be cuddled? Fear of the unknown? Bad pizza?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:38 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island