Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,348,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Keep it civil and mature my friend Thanks!
Yeah, right!!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,960,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
If you do in fact have experience living all over the country and have a well informed opinion on this supposed "problem", then by all means tell us more!

I'll do my best. But can I ask your advice on something? Do think it's "civil and mature" to make multiple posts that exist only to bait other posters in a forum focused on area in which one used to reside? I'm really struggling with this one. Seems like you'd be a good person to weigh in on this!
The only bait I use is to catch Rock Fish ...known on LI as Striped Bass! If your talking about a few posts I made many years ago....then It's time to get over your grudge! After all this is just the internet

Time to move on man... I only have like 12 posts in the last 6 months!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM

426 posts, read 961,812 times
I am a young single guy who is in his late 20s/early 30's and this thread struck a chord with me......is it hard on LI? Yes.....is the cost of living out of control? Yes......are the taxes outrageous? Yes....

This has caused me to re-think my life's mindset and philosophy after college and at first it was very difficult but I soon adjusted. I also wanted to be the guy with dreams of being married and buying a house by the time I was 28-29 and then start a family.

Unfortunately, LI makes it all but impossible to do that for the younger generation. I have pretty much given up right now on buying a house, also I'm not married yet, and I still rent.

Even rents are outrageous on LI......an apt in a garden complex now will set you back 1400-1500 dollars for "Average" complexes and even the more expensive ones like Archstone in Westbury are $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom.....its disgusting the prices they have here I don't know how they can charge such prices and who can afford those.....I wonder sometimes what kind of ppl live in those places.....

I have come to the conclusion that I will never give Nassau county 9-12K of tax dollars a year for what they do and the kind of property you get here! (50x100 lots mostly)......what do they do? Pick up my garbage twice a week? Big deal.....they suck at plowing snow and there are potholes all over the major roadways I never see any road crews fixing or re-paving anything.

So for now, I am working and renting and will continue to do so for the forseeable future because a house is just too much out of my price range now.

And yes, I do have friends who are 25-29 and still living at home because they can't find jobs.....it is everywhere....instead of Gen X it should be called the Boomerang generation....

Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM

85 posts, read 125,849 times
^^^still live at home at 29 because their parents are enablers. I was kicked to the curb at 18 and did just fine.

Throw a baby in the water...same idea.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:00 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,068,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Add another 3 questions:

6. How do you afford the triple price airfare on the only times you can travel to see your relatives (during the kids' official school vacations)?

7. Is it really enough to only see your family once or twice in a whole year?

8. Is it really enough for your kids to live like strangers to their grandparents because they are so far away? (FULL DISCLOSURE: I experienced both sets of grandparents moving out of state when I was in elementary school plus taking my aunts and uncles with them because they were still young. I HATED only being able to see them in the summer and having to choose which set of grandparents to see in the summer as they did not live in the same location. I was a really seasoned traveler as a little kid that's for sure. I HATED not having them with us every holiday. Thank God we had great neighbors that were like family, but it still wasn't like growing up with my own grandparents, uncles and aunts around.)
At least somebody understands where I am coming from!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
At least somebody understands where I am coming from!
I get where you're coming from, but some of your concerns seem a bit odd.

I think it really comes down to:
1) Will your earnings power suffer as a result of leaving the NY Metro area
2) Will you be OK with you and yours missing all those life events like holidays, bday parties, etc with your friends and family. Having to fly or drive up and go through the flights/gas/tolls/PANY grinder likely erodes much of what you're saving in taxes.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 PM

295 posts, read 346,662 times
I love butt,
Kids are still able to shoot straight but why does it mean we should band pistols? The amendment does delineate between rifles and handguns.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NassauGuy12 View Post
I love butt,
Kids are still able to shoot straight but why does it mean we should band pistols? The amendment does delineate between rifles and handguns.
Well, you said it yourself (over and over and over again): The majority of LI is "riff-raffy" . Guns should not be in the hands of miscreants.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM

295 posts, read 346,662 times
In my country USA laws matter not opinion. You can not ban pistols without ammending the constitution.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:24 PM

3,538 posts, read 5,728,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The LIRR gives COL increases. Stop kidding around.
What made you think I worked for the RR? I wouldnt be complaining about the fare increases since I would be riding for free.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island