Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM

156 posts, read 303,860 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am looking for some advice on a new career!
I have a BA in elementary education and special education, as well as an MA in Literacy. Well, these degrees are not doing me any good. I am definitely not where I want to be at 31 years old.
I would like to get into a new field, although Im not sure which. I really dont think Id like to go to another 4 year school, but my options are open. Ive looked into becoming a dental hygienist or xray technician. Ive also researched getting a degree in psychology (which was my minor in college). Id like to do something that will most definitely produce a job with benefits and a decent salary. As a teacher, I have a lot of great skills which will benefit any career path. Im outgoing, consistent, efficient, and I multi task very well. I learn new things quickly, I work well with others, and I enjoy being a leader.

Any ideas?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Accounting would be the best bet in NYC for someone in your situation. It doesn't pay a lot but there are still a few jobs out there to be had.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:08 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
when you say it's not getting you anywhere do you mean job opportunities? Are there simply too many applicants? Asking because my brother's wife is starting out again (she changed from graduating with a law degree of all things)... she's making her way up by teaching in Brooklyn first.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:02 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
on long island? a developer.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
Hi everyone!

I have a BA in elementary education and special education, as well as an MA in Literacy. Well, these degrees are not doing me any good. I am definitely not where I want to be at 31 years old.
I would like to get into a new field, although Im not sure which. I really dont think Id like to go to another 4 year school, but my options are open. Ive looked into becoming a dental hygienist or xray technician. Ive also researched getting a degree in psychology (which was my minor in college). Id like to do something that will most definitely produce a job with benefits and a decent salary. As a teacher, I have a lot of great skills which will benefit any career path. Im outgoing, consistent, efficient, and I multi task very well. I learn new things quickly, I work well with others, and I enjoy being a leader.

Any ideas?? Thanks!
Unless you absolutely hate the things you're trained for and are good at, try to use your existing education and skills to move into something of an adjacent career. Maybe you could do some kind of counseling rather than teaching. Maybe you could go into a non-profit setting (although forget the idea of getting rich). Maybe you could run a day care center. Or maybe you're just at the wrong school. I'm just guessing here, but that would be better than paying out more tuition and starting at the bottom somewhere else. Why throw away the thousands you spent on your existing degrees?

You also need to do a lot of research and networking. How do you know that dental hygienists and X-ray technicians are in demand these days? (I don't know about X-ray technicians, but I do know that radiologists are having a tough time of things these days. Hospitals, physician practices and clinics are now sending some x-rays and scans overseas to be read by people who cost much less.)

Good luck on your search. My only advice is not to waste the resources and skills you've already built up or assume that the grass is greener in other fields.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
With those creds I'd think you might be in heavy demand in more up and coming cities. Many are short decent teachers, especially with exploding mandates for IEP's and special ed in general. Maybe it's the right career, wrong location. Just sayin'. NY education budgets are bloated to the stratosphere and that is why there is a glut of applicants and lack of opportunities. Other cities haven't been raped and pillaged by the unions yet so teaching is still a necessary, honorable, 'underpaid but with great benefits' career like it used to be.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
Hi everyone!

Any ideas?? Thanks!
What kind of degree in psychology?

Bachelors = no good career prospects.

For career prospects it's the advanced degrees that count (Master's, Ph.D. or Psy.D.). However, the reputable programs are not easy to get into.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 PM

260 posts, read 451,263 times
How about a Corrections Officer. Benefits are great.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
Your degree is fine, the problem is you're in a place where teaching jobs are the most sought after jobs. Look outside of NY metro area and you will be fine.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM

156 posts, read 303,860 times
"My only advice is not to waste the resources and skills you've already built up or assume that the grass is greener in other fields." This is great advice longislander 2. I do love teaching, and if I decide to pursure something else, I am definitely going to look into something where I can still use the many skills I have learned. I will also look into teaching in a different area outside of NY. I just have to decide where! I have a lot of work to do! thanks to everyone for the great advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: