Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times

Advertisements

I own a home with a very steep backyard (the hill slopes down). My 2 year old loves going outside and I am fenced from front to back so we have level land in the front, side and a little of the yard but then there is a steep hill in the back. He keeps trying to go down the hill (whcih is the width of my entire property which is wide. I'm looking for ideas to try to do something temporary to keep him from getting down the hill..especially b/c he is still so young. Last year I had a party and the 4 and up ages had so much fun running up and down the hill. However, since my child is young right now, I am looking for a cheap way to temporarily block off the slope. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I've thought about buying one of those fences that people have around their pools that are a material type but I heard my inlaws paid $1k for theirs and my yard is MUCH wider than theirs so I could only imagien it to cost a lot more for my yard and I'm not looking to spend so much money for something temporary. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:27 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I own a home with a very steep backyard (the hill slopes down). My 2 year old loves going outside and I am fenced from front to back so we have level land in the front, side and a little of the yard but then there is a steep hill in the back. He keeps trying to go down the hill (whcih is the width of my entire property which is wide. I'm looking for ideas to try to do something temporary to keep him from getting down the hill..especially b/c he is still so young. Last year I had a party and the 4 and up ages had so much fun running up and down the hill. However, since my child is young right now, I am looking for a cheap way to temporarily block off the slope. If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. I've thought about buying one of those fences that people have around their pools that are a material type but I heard my inlaws paid $1k for theirs and my yard is MUCH wider than theirs so I could only imagien it to cost a lot more for my yard and I'm not looking to spend so much money for something temporary. Any ideas are welcomed! Thanks!

Snow fencing maybe?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I"m pretty sure your 2 year old will defeat anything aside from a fence. I remember those days....what's the expression, "the days are long but the years are short". My sister had a similar yard when my kids were little and it was a nightmare of vigilance to go over there, LOL.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Snow fencing maybe?
I never heard of that before. I will look into it. Thanks for the idea!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I"m pretty sure your 2 year old will defeat anything aside from a fence. I remember those days....what's the expression, "the days are long but the years are short". My sister had a similar yard when my kids were little and it was a nightmare of vigilance to go over there, LOL.
LOL. Yeah, I didn't think of this before I purchased the house b/c we didn't have kids. The older children love it b/c they can run up and down but a 2 year old is just too young to do so. I think a fence is the best idea as well but I just can't see spending the money it would cost for something for like 2 years or so.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:00 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
It's not the prettiest thing but you can get green construction fence(plastic) along with some metal stakes that you sink into the ground at the Depot.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I never heard of that before. I will look into it. Thanks for the idea!

Its that bright orange (or green) plastic fence material that you see around construction sites or around ski slopes.

They sell it in home depot in the garden section.

Friends of mine use that for their deep drop off in the backyard when their kids were small

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
It's not the prettiest thing but you can get green construction fence(plastic) along with some metal stakes that you sink into the ground at the Depot.
Thats the snow fencing I was talking about

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM

Thanks so much for the idea! I really, really appreciate it.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
That's probably your best bet. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island