Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 09:26 PM

127 posts, read 613,776 times

Advertisements

My son is going to be a first time camp counselor at the Anchor Program this summer. I'm wondering if any of you have been a volunteer or have children who volunteered. I'm interested in hearing about personal experiences, responsibilities and a typical day. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 05:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
I heard its an amazing experience but Ive never done it bc I need money to live.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:18 PM

298 posts, read 333,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
My son is going to be a first time camp counselor at the Anchor Program this summer. I'm wondering if any of you have been a volunteer or have children who volunteered. I'm interested in hearing about personal experiences, responsibilities and a typical day. Thanks.

I'm surprised they allow it.

I've been trying to get into a new camp for a year or two now and would offer to volunteer just to get in, but they usually cite the usual "insurance companies don't like volunteers" excuse.

I assume anchor is about fishing?

But most sports camps usually have a rotating schedule of activities for the kids to do each day. If it's a more expensive camp, it will be an easier job because he will have less kids to work with, due to lower ratios of counselors to campers. A cheaper camp will be more difficult.

They usually keep the volunteers with the younger kids though, especially if your son is only 14 or 15.

I only volunteered for 2 weeks in high school for community service hours and the director liked me so much that he invited me to work for pay after the service hours were over. If your son is volunteering for the whole summer, they will likely push him to the front of the pecking order when looking to fill next year's spots, if they like the work he did this summer.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Anchor isnt a fishing camp- it's for people with disabilities and the counselors there are volunteers. It is held at Lido Beach.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 PM

214 posts, read 468,342 times
My friend has a son who goes there as a camper. All I can tell you is that the camp is a wonderful opportunity for the disabled to have fun in a safe environment while their parents get a little respite too!!

Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 AM

127 posts, read 613,776 times
Thank you all. I have heard anchor is a great camp for both campers and volunteers. There is a mix of experienced counselors that are paid and high school volunteers. He will be volunteering the entire summer. Apparently the camp has many more volunteer applicants than they need and those that volunteer the entire summer are preferred. He is a nervous kid and I thought it might help him some to hear from someone who has been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island