Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alie621 View Post
What happens?? Why do schools drop? We are thinking about buying a house in old bethpage yet fear the high school is just ok. Any thoughts??
Plainview-Old Bethpage is a great district. Pequaman provided his rubric for generating rankings earlier in the thread if you wish to learn what stats were used. Don't sweat your decision to buy there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Patchogue Medford is on the bottom but my wifes cousin was able to do well enough that she graduated 1 year early. Sometimes I would how these scores compare to how well the teachers teach. You can have an awesome teacher with a class of people who just do not want to learn.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

140 posts, read 214,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Patchogue Medford is on the bottom but my wifes cousin was able to do well enough that she graduated 1 year early. Sometimes I would how these scores compare to how well the teachers teach. You can have an awesome teacher with a class of people who just do not want to learn.
teacher evaluations won't fly with the unions

Old 05-14-2013, 06:14 PM

481 posts, read 1,060,008 times
West Chester has the best SD in the country. A friend who lives there told me that many parents send there kids to tutoring facilities for "enrichment". Of course, many of the parents are high achievers and expect a lot from their children, which is why they so this, but it does male you wonder if the quality of their SD is so much better than the others.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM

110 posts, read 215,313 times
hi i'm new to this forum can someone tell me if this list would be the same for elementary and middle school? i know the list if for high schools in long island. thanks

Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
hi i'm new to this forum can someone tell me if this list would be the same for elementary and middle school? i know the list if for high schools in long island. thanks
It would be roughly the same, but will vary up and down between the individual schools.

For example, the best elementary school in one district may perform better than the worst elementary in a second, even though the high school in the the second may outperform the high school in the first. Sachem, for instance, has 12 different elementary schools. You'd have to check the school report cards for each of them.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It would be roughly the same, but will vary up and down between the individual schools.

For example, the best elementary school in one district may perform better than the worst elementary in a second, even though the high school in the the second may outperform the high school in the first. Sachem, for instance, has 12 different elementary schools. You'd have to check the school report cards for each of them.
thank you.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyny View Post
check this out NYS Elementary School Rankings

It's a huge list in raw data form. If you can figure out how to navigate it (not hard, use 'CONTROL+F' on your keyboard to search), it may be of use.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
check this out NYS Elementary School Rankings

It's a huge list in raw data form. If you can figure out how to navigate it (not hard, use 'CONTROL+F' on your keyboard to search), it may be of use.
thank you so much!! this is a great list.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM

184 posts, read 227,679 times
Long Islanders are obsessed with rankings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island