Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM

84 posts, read 229,801 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing. It's always good to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,164,633 times
All of the top districts have socioeconomic advantages that other districts don't. Is it really the "district" ie programs, teachers etc causing the better grades or is it genetics and tutoring?

They should try an experiment. For 1 year switch Hempstead and Garden City Districts and see what happens to the scores. Then we will know if the school district makes the difference.

Also, if you have a bright student maybe you should attend a lower ranked school where he/she could truly stand out instead of being an afterthought in a top ranked district to help college scholarship opportunities.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 PM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Socioeconomics does play the largest role.

Obviously some rich kid from one of those north shore towns will have a greater capacity to do well in these metrics compared to a low income kid who more than likely comes from a broken home with a single mother who has to work almost all the time and can't keep after them; and has to consider dropping out of school to support their family to avoid being homeless and keeping food in their siblings stomach.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:45 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
All of the top districts have socioeconomic advantages that other districts don't. Is it really the "district" ie programs, teachers etc causing the better grades or is it genetics and tutoring?

They should try an experiment. For 1 year switch Hempstead and Garden City Districts and see what happens to the scores. Then we will know if the school district makes the difference.

Also, if you have a bright student maybe you should attend a lower ranked school where he/she could truly stand out instead of being an afterthought in a top ranked district to help college scholarship opportunities.
I agree. It is not the teachers who cause the good and bad scores on exams. That is why I've never jumped on the illogical 'blame the teacher' bandwagon.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
Saying that the kids who come from broken homes dont do well etc. just dosnt jive with me at all. I was the product of a broken home, 5 kids, single mum, poor on welfare most of my childhood. Mum didnt get involved in our school and never helped with homework.

However, my sibs and I all turned out great, are we rich ; no, are we all happy and well adjusted ; most definitely. Yes, we need to hold the parents accountable, but it is our own responsibiility to study hard, and be the best we can be. I didnt have mentors or anything, just a self preservation attitude.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 AM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Saying that the kids who come from broken homes dont do well etc. just dosnt jive with me at all. I was the product of a broken home, 5 kids, single mum, poor on welfare most of my childhood. Mum didnt get involved in our school and never helped with homework.

However, my sibs and I all turned out great, are we rich ; no, are we all happy and well adjusted ; most definitely. Yes, we need to hold the parents accountable, but it is our own responsibiility to study hard, and be the best we can be. I didnt have mentors or anything, just a self preservation attitude.
No way impossible. "Lol" thanks for sharing your life experience. I hope many will learn from it instead of bashing it.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Some good points here. But what if you take 25 average (C/D+) students from Hempstead and put them into Garden City schools? And vice versa, take 25 avg students from GC and put them in Hempstead... wonder what would happen. I think the Hempstead students would definitely rise, the GC students would fall or remain the same.
I view the "district" as more than just the teachers and the curriculum. It's the student body, parents, PTA, facilities, electives, guidance counselors, etc. everything included.

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-24-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-24-2013, 10:55 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post

I don't think anyone has implied that all kids from broken homes don't do well.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:08 AM

32 posts, read 142,835 times
As per schooldigger.com, Roslyn High School ranks 623rd out of 1062 schools in the state (41.3 percentile) & yet it is ranked very high on this list. So, which is accurate & which isn't??

Roslyn High School, Roslyn Heights NY School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com

Old 08-24-2013, 11:43 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSS19 View Post
As per schooldigger.com, Roslyn High School ranks 623rd out of 1062 schools in the state (41.3 percentile) & yet it is ranked very high on this list. So, which is accurate & which isn't??

Roslyn High School, Roslyn Heights NY School Profile, Ranking, and Reviews - SchoolDigger.com
School digger says that the avg score on the state math test from 90 in 2011 to 40 in 2012. I think their data is wrong and this list is more accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island