Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
check this out NYS Elementary School Rankings

It's a huge list in raw data form. If you can figure out how to navigate it (not hard, use 'CONTROL+F' on your keyboard to search), it may be of use.
To support what I said, as per that list, there are 7 elementary schools in Sachem SD that are ranked higher than Arrowhead Elementary, which is in Three Village SD. Ware Melville HS is ranked considerably higher than either of Sachem's 2 High Schools and most people would tell you that Ward Melville is a better district.

Arrowhead area of "South Setauket" ie Centereach is the lower demographic area of Three Village SD. As is the case with most districts on Long Island, higher income area=better performing schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM

626 posts, read 903,334 times
I guess if we had someone taking our SATs and teachers helping with state tests, we'd be ranked higher than a mere 85

Old 05-15-2013, 10:56 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
dman makes a great point.

Although most elementary schools are good on LI, some consistently rank better or worse (as dman showed) than their high school counterparts. If someone wants in a particular grade school, I would check with the neighbors or the actual school district on boundaries, and not rely on a realtor for this info.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
To support what I said, as per that list, there are 7 elementary schools in Sachem SD that are ranked higher than Arrowhead Elementary, which is in Three Village SD. Ware Melville HS is ranked considerably higher than either of Sachem's 2 High Schools and most people would tell you that Ward Melville is a better district.

Arrowhead area of "South Setauket" ie Centereach is the lower demographic area of Three Village SD. As is the case with most districts on Long Island, higher income area=better performing schools.
And 3V is considered "snootier" by many....

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
West Chester has the best SD in the country. A friend who lives there told me that many parents send there kids to tutoring facilities for "enrichment". Of course, many of the parents are high achievers and expect a lot from their children, which is why they so this, but it does male you wonder if the quality of their SD is so much better than the others.
Are you refering to Westchester County NY or West Chester SD Pennsylvania?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
And 3V is considered "snootier" by many....

Non-sequitor much?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
dman makes a great point.

Although most elementary schools are good on LI, some consistently rank better or worse (as dman showed) than their high school counterparts. If someone wants in a particular grade school, I would check with the neighbors or the actual school district on boundaries, and not rely on a realtor for this info.

..and to continue, all of the elementary schools in Middle Country SD are rated higher than the lowest rated elementary school in Sachem SD, Grundy. Most people will tell you Sachem is a superior district.

There's a lot to look at as a parent when looking at schools. I do think that the middle schools and high schools are where problems start and that the vast majority of elementary schools on LI are adequate.

I moved up about 800 spots on the list when I bought my house. I had no issue with the first school at the time, but I do see the difference after 9 months at the new school, with the staff, the parents, and the curriculum, and what is expected of us as parents.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Non-sequitor much?
Some parts of 3V think they are higher and mightier than others...

Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
..and to continue, all of the elementary schools in Middle Country SD are rated higher than the lowest rated elementary school in Sachem SD, Grundy. Most people will tell you Sachem is a superior district.

There's a lot to look at as a parent when looking at schools. I do think that the middle schools and high schools are where problems start and that the vast majority of elementary schools on LI are adequate.

I moved up about 800 spots on the list when I bought my house. I had no issue with the first school at the time, but I do see the difference after 9 months at the new school, with the staff, the parents, and the curriculum, and what is expected of us as parents.
Curriculum is open for debate with the Common BS being forced down our throats.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Some parts of 3V think they are higher and mightier than others...
..and when I lived in Connetquot SD, Oakdale thought it was higher and mightier than Ronkonkoma and blamed the Ronk for bringing the district down from it's lofty aspirations. No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island