Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times

Advertisements

What would the normal cost to take in/alter a skirt? My friend gave my daughter a beautiful Chanel skirt and the length is perfect but the waist is too big. I brought it to a local place and the guy was looking at it, pinned it, etc. All of a sudden, he looked inside and saw the Chanel label and then the small double Cs on the waist and he tells me it will be "at least" $40. I thought it should only be about $10-$15 to do this?

The skirt is wool (not a thick, heavy wool) and it has a silk lining. There are no seams that need to be opened or anything. It would be a simple sewing up both sides to take it in evenly. Really not much to it in but I can't sew and don't want to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
That sounds steep but it depends on the style (are there pleats?)....I would try a Chinese dry cleaner, they do a great job, and they usually have their prices listed. My mom can take in stuff like that - she's good at sewing, but still it's not hard. She even tailored a bridesmaid dress for one of my friends once.

You could also tell this guy - "I got this second hand as a gift so no thanks" and see if he comes to his senses.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:20 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
To properly "take in" a skirt... you open the seams, increase the seam allowance, sew and trim. Depending on the construction of the skirt, sometimes darts and kick pleats need to be realigned. If there is a waistband that needs to be taken off, shortened and resewn.

Then, of course, there is the lining to do as well.

You don't just sew up the sides.

I have an Asian lady at an Italian dry cleaners who does all my alterations.

Hit your local dry cleaners.

Done properly, I'd pay more than $40.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
How old is your daughter? Is she an adult or still growing? If she is a teenager and this is one of those timeless styles and a well-made vintage piece, you may only want some type of temporary alteration without cutting fabric so that she can continue to wear. Simple alterations like just taking in a waistband, I do myself. It might be amateur, but good enough for my needs, especially if you go up and down in weight.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
To properly "take in" a skirt... you open the seams, increase the seam allowance, sew and trim. Depending on the construction of the skirt, sometimes darts and kick pleats need to be realigned. If there is a waistband that needs to be taken off, shortened and resewn.

My mom was a seamstress for 60+ years, this is quite accurate description, if you want quality work you will have to pay a resonable price which $40 is.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post

As stated in my original post, there are no seams.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
How old is your daughter? Is she an adult or still growing? If she is a teenager and this is one of those timeless styles and a well-made vintage piece, you may only want some type of temporary alteration without cutting fabric so that she can continue to wear. Simple alterations like just taking in a waistband, I do myself. It might be amateur, but good enough for my needs, especially if you go up and down in weight.

This is absolutely a timeless style and well made. It's Chanel -- all their stuff is timeless.

My daughter is 15 and thin but I was also thinking temporary alteration in case she puts on any weight. I wish I knew how to just take the waist in a bit. It needs about 2" in on both sides.

I just can't see $40 for an alteration like this. I've had other clothing altered for her and it's never more than $15 --- I found it strange that the moment he saw the Chanel label, he said "at least $40" when there are no seams to open or anything else and I didn't want any fabric cut.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 19,072 times
I do quite a bit of Chanel alterations. The clothing is made to be altered. I've seen previous work, some expertly done and some unbelievably bad work. Taking in a skirt does mean opening the side seams on both skirt and lining, resewing, and pressing. Most Chanel skirts I've seen also have a jump pleat at the lower edge and this needs to be hand sewn after the sides are altered. I usually don't trim the seams unless there is way too much fabric to be pressed flat. This allows for the garment to be let out at a future date. If the alterations are inexpertly done you will ruin the garment. $40 is a very reasonable charge for this.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
It may sound tacky, but depending on how much it needs to be taken in it can be done and the good news is it doesn't alter the integrity of the skirt. Can you either sew in or have sewn in a few strips of elastic on either side at the waist to cinch it a bit? It will of course not work if you are talking about a large reduction but depending upon the line of the skirt it might do the trick. Also, if you don't sew you can't imagine the amount of time alterations take especially in lined items, slacks are the worst!!. I can alter simple things but the minute I get to a lining it is time for the pros.

NEVERMIND, I JUST NOTICED THE 2 INCHES ON EACH SIDE. This solution will not work. That is a decrease by several sizes and honestly for that work $40 is a steal. I hope they are up to the challenge.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:20 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
It may sound tacky, but depending on how much it needs to be taken in it can be done and the good news is it doesn't alter the integrity of the skirt. Can you either sew in or have sewn in a few strips of elastic on either side at the waist to cinch it a bit? It will of course not work if you are talking about a large reduction but depending upon the line of the skirt it might do the trick. Also, if you don't sew you can't imagine the amount of time alterations take especially in lined items, slacks are the worst!!. I can alter simple things but the minute I get to a lining it is time for the pros.

NEVERMIND, I JUST NOTICED THE 2 INCHES ON EACH SIDE. This solution will not work. That is a decrease by several sizes and honestly for that work $40 is a steal. I hope they are up to the challenge.

Hopefully she found someone by now and didn't have to wait a whole year

I agree. I used to make my own dresses and 2 inches on each side is not a simple "just take it in"; and the work has to be done twice--once for the silk lining and once for the wool fabric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island