Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,311 times

Advertisements

Don't you love the way the school districts have flouted the 2% tax cap? They've always proposed tax increases well above the annual rate of inflation so that's old news. And, as soon as the new tax bills come out, some residents will be shocked to see their actual taxes increase 5%-8% or even 10%.

OK, raise your hands. How many of you think that Cuomo will be running for President in 2016 and touting his 2% tax cap, while those of us on LI watch in horror (or laughter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 09:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Don't you love the way the school districts have flouted the 2% tax cap? They've always proposed tax increases well above the annual rate of inflation so that's old news. And, as soon as the new tax bills come out, some residents will be shocked to see their actual taxes increase 5%-8% or even 10%.

OK, raise your hands. How many of you think that Cuomo will be running for President in 2016 and touting his 2% tax cap, while those of us on LI watch in horror (or laughter).
I understand the sentiment and anger but you need to learn more about the sysyem. There is no real 2% cap. There is a 2% cap BEFORE all of the capital expenditure write downs, the state and federal exemptions to the reportable levy and a bunch of other accounting gobbledeegook that affects the number. Hicksville's effective allowable levy under the law (yes that 2% law) is .....wait for it 4.17%. Levittown very similar. So they are putting to vote levys of 2.9ish % and look good to the voters. In fairness, they have cut to the bone across the board and only added programs or services directly against where state aid was increased. As always the increases are salaries, pension and benefits...all contracts they can't break without lawsuits.

The issue of the taxes going up 10% is because people do not challenge their assessment. That is a county fiasco even though they are trying to pawn the refunds off on the schools. In a nutshell, we vote on a pool of money that is split between commercial taxes and residential prop. taxes. If the commercial base comes in low (which it has with the down economy and exodus of businesses), it gets passed to the taxpayer. If your neighbor challenges his assessment and wins...your portion goes up to cover HIS reduction. That's the game. The pool of $ doesn't change, only who pays what share of it changes. Challenge, get your house assessed as if it's a dump and you win a nice tax break. Nice system, huh?! I don't want my house condemned. I just want it assessed as though it is!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I understand the sentiment and anger but you need to learn more about the sysyem. There is no real 2% cap. There is a 2% cap BEFORE all of the capital expenditure write downs, the state and federal exemptions to the reportable levy and a bunch of other accounting gobbledeegook that affects the number. Hicksville's effective allowable levy under the law (yes that 2% law) is .....wait for it 4.17%. Levittown very similar. So they are putting to vote levys of 2.9ish % and look good to the voters. In fairness, they have cut to the bone across the board and only added programs or services directly against where state aid was increased. As always the increases are salaries, pension and benefits...all contracts they can't break without lawsuits.

The issue of the taxes going up 10% is because people do not challenge their assessment. That is a county fiasco even though they are trying to pawn the refunds off on the schools. In a nutshell, we vote on a pool of money that is split between commercial taxes and residential prop. taxes. If the commercial base comes in low (which it has with the down economy and exodus of businesses), it gets passed to the taxpayer. If your neighbor challenges his assessment and wins...your portion goes up to cover HIS reduction. That's the game. The pool of $ doesn't change, only who pays what share of it changes. Challenge, get your house assessed as if it's a dump and you win a nice tax break. Nice system, huh?! I don't want my house condemned. I just want it assessed as though it is!
Oh, I think we're on the same page. I was just trying to point out that the 2% cap is a sham and that Cuomo will use it in his 2016 campaign as one of his "accomplishments" to bamboozle voters in other parts of the country.

Where we are not on the same page is the helplessness you describe regarding school district labor contracts, which in no way have been cut to the bone. When contracts are up for renewal, every single detail should be open to taxpayers during the negotiation process. Instead, they are negotiated in secret because all the parties know they are embarrassed by the outrageously generous packages accorded administrators and teachers. Not a single school board member stands up and says, "Enough is enough," and demands serious concessions from district employees. Instead, they cave every time so that Little Johnny isn't subject to any labor strife in the schools. Then, when their kids are out of the public schools, they start to complain about the taxes and vote against budgets like the rest of us.

The school system and the tax assessment system are two things that are taking the Island down.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 AM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
I am lost. Could someone explain to me exactly what all of this mean?
1. what does 2% cap mean
2. If they raise the school tax is that more money going to the school for our children's benefit
3. If they don't raise the school tax how much do our children suffer?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,707,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
I am lost. Could someone explain to me exactly what all of this mean?
1. what does 2% cap mean
2. If they raise the school tax is that more money going to the school for our children's benefit
3. If they don't raise the school tax how much do our children suffer?
Most of the increases are going to cover unfunded state mandates and pension % increases mandated by Teachers Retirement System.

Unfunded mandates include teacher evaluations, idiotic state testing and common core BS.

The state sets the numbers and the SDs are forced to comply. These are mandatory payments. so if the budgets dont pass the only place left is to take it from the kids.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
How about get rid of school tax? The school district has to submit their budget request to the town for approval, once approved the town would provide the monies. Property taxes would be adjusted to obtain the needed funds but the school district would be made to live within their means and not have the ability to raise taxes every year...

Works here and the schools have learned the meaning of no....

Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
How about get rid of school tax? The school district has to submit their budget request to the town for approval, once approved the town would provide the monies. Property taxes would be adjusted to obtain the needed funds but the school district would be made to live within their means and not have the ability to raise taxes every year...

Works here and the schools have learned the meaning of no....
That would require the "C" word: consolidation.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Guide to the Reorganization of School Districts in New York State:Educational Management:NYSED

Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 PM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Most of the increases are going to cover unfunded state mandates and pension % increases mandated by Teachers Retirement System.

Unfunded mandates include teacher evaluations, idiotic state testing and common core BS.

The state sets the numbers and the SDs are forced to comply. These are mandatory payments. so if the budgets dont pass the only place left is to take it from the kids.
Can the SD get federal tax money?

Old 05-10-2013, 12:32 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Oh, I think we're on the same page. I was just trying to point out that the 2% cap is a sham and that Cuomo will use it in his 2016 campaign as one of his "accomplishments" to bamboozle voters in other parts of the country.

Where we are not on the same page is the helplessness you describe regarding school district labor contracts, which in no way have been cut to the bone. When contracts are up for renewal, every single detail should be open to taxpayers during the negotiation process. Instead, they are negotiated in secret because all the parties know they are embarrassed by the outrageously generous packages accorded administrators and teachers. Not a single school board member stands up and says, "Enough is enough," and demands serious concessions from district employees. Instead, they cave every time so that Little Johnny isn't subject to any labor strife in the schools. Then, when their kids are out of the public schools, they start to complain about the taxes and vote against budgets like the rest of us.

The school system and the tax assessment system are two things that are taking the Island down.
Talking about different things. The contracts are not up and so nothing to negotiate. That politicians gave away the store is pretty obvious. Actually all of my board stood up and said "enough is enough" and we have 3 budgets in a row that are lean as I have ever seen. So what am I supposed to do? I think you are being a little naive to think you just "demand serious concessions." If it were that easy it'd be done. For one, many seem content to pay through the nose and vote yes. They also vote for the same town and county legislatures over and over so what does that tell you?! It comes back to the people who vote (or don't). The "school board" didn't get there by taking a number. They were voted in. The contract fulfillment is guaranteed in the state consitution under collective bargaining BS. THAT is what has to be changed and it ain't nearly as easy as "demanding concessions." Oh don't we both wish it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island