Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:24 PM

39 posts, read 74,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
in a few years LIRR should be going into Grand Central...
Yes i have heard about this project. If i am not mistaken i think it is called the 'east side access' project. But it might be a while before this project is finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
in a few years LIRR should be going into Grand Central...
And the Tappan Zee is supposed to be replaced, I would bank any plan based on "proposed" improvements/upgrades unless they have broken ground and started.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM

86 posts, read 168,614 times
The East Side access project isn't due for completion until 2019 according to this recent article
MTA Underground Explosion Video Shows Massive East Side Access Project Reach Major Milestone

As for the commute to Norwalk, a friend used to do Danbury to Garden City 4 x a week in her SUV and after 2 months started to get pain and numbness in her leg. It went away when she switched to a small sedan instead. Her doctor said that he'd seen similar cases and that making the commute as comfortable as possible was really important.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
My husband used to do Queens to Greenwich for a while after his job relocated from midtown to CT. It was no picnic but then he got laid off. If you planned to stay in Norwalk I would consider moving closer to Queens if possible. Eastern Queens to Melville would not be such a bad commute.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And the Tappan Zee is supposed to be replaced, I would bank any plan based on "proposed" improvements/upgrades unless they have broken ground and started.
I drove over the Tappan Zee last week. They say it's held together with rust. They have signs on the bridge saying that "Life is worth living." I'm not sure if they're for the jumpers or the drivers.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
My husband used to do Queens to Greenwich for a while after his job relocated from midtown to CT. It was no picnic but then he got laid off. If you planned to stay in Norwalk I would consider moving closer to Queens if possible. Eastern Queens to Melville would not be such a bad commute.
Thanks for sharing the experience. I think first i will rent a place there and give it a shot, and then take it from there in terms of relocation etc.

Thanks,
zz

Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,754,734 times
I did a commute from RVC to Norwalk for 3 months during the summer months (May, June, July, and part of August). The commute in the morning is actually not that bad, you can get there in about 60-90 minutes.

Just so you are aware, my commute home, however, was routinely 2.5-3 hours and on Fridays, it was a solid 3-4 hours. And I worked 8-4, I imagine 9-5 is just as bad.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I did a commute from RVC to Norwalk for 3 months during the summer months (May, June, July, and part of August). The commute in the morning is actually not that bad, you can get there in about 60-90 minutes.

Just so you are aware, my commute home, however, was routinely 2.5-3 hours and on Fridays, it was a solid 3-4 hours. And I worked 8-4, I imagine 9-5 is just as bad.
Boy that's a long commute back home.Just did a google map search, going from RVC to norwalk distance wise is pretty much the same as from mineola to norwalk. my destination is just next to south norwalk train station, walking distance. But as you saw some of the previous posts, train commute is no shorter either.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzebie View Post
Yes i have heard about this project. If i am not mistaken i think it is called the 'east side access' project. But it might be a while before this project is finished.
2019....there building the stations as we speak , the Tunnels are done...the Sunnyside connection halfway built.

ESA_6484 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

ESA_6945 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

ESA_7105 by MTAPhotos, on Flickr

Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Unlike the East Side Access the Tappan Zee Project is botched...and won't fix anything unless they add Rail to the I-287 Corridor. The Regional Rail from Hillburn to Tarrytown and Down to Grand Central would have gotten 40,000 , and the Cross Westchester Light Rail would have gotten close to 70,000 , if they ran the Regional Rail through Westchester and up to Connecticut it would have added close 150,000 trips which is half the corridors usage. The Bus option won't even attract half that.... Throw in the West Shore line and you could milk the Palisades Parkway and Eastern Rockland County , another 30,000 commuters. Most of which due use the bus system which is already bursting at the seems in this region.

With the Penn Station Access Upgrade , the Hell Gate and West Side line will be overhauled including a connecting for Freight to Long Island which opens up a possibility for Passenger Service from Long Island to Westchester and Connecticut. You could probably squeeze out 40,000 riders from this service.... The Express from Stamford to New York Penn Station is expected to take 45mins , so the same to Jamaica...so its a faster commute. I think the Hell Gate Line Combo could attract close to 100,000 if they threw in the Jamaica Access.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...02659,1.674042

Connecticut Regional Access
(Limited Through Service to New Haven and New Canaan)
Stamford
New Rochelle
South Rochelle
Orchard Beach-City Island
Co-Op City
Morris Park
Parkchester
Hunt's Point
Northern Boulvard - Woodside
Queens Boulevard - Elmhurst

Forest Hills
Kew Gardens
Jamaica
(Limited Through Service to Ronkonkoma and Babylon)

Northern Connector Western Link
Hillburn
East Suffern
Airmont
Route-59-Nanuet
West Nyack
South Nyack
Tarrytown East
Elmsford
White Plains Transit
East White Plains
Purchase

Rye
Harrison
​Mamaroneck
Larchmont
New Rochelle
South Rochelle
Orchard Beach-City Island
Co-Op City
Morris Park
Parkchester
Hunt's Point
Northern Boulvard - Woodside
Queens Boulevard - Elmhurst

Forest Hills
Kew Gardens
Jamaica
(Limited Through Service to Ronkonkoma and Babylon)

West Shore Line
Hoboken Terminal
Secaucus Road-Jersey City
North Bergen Transit Center
Vince Lombradi Park & Ride
Ridgefield Park
Cedar Lane - Teaneck
West Englewood
Bergenfield
Haworth
Harrington Park
Tappan
Blauvelt
West Nyack
Valley Cottage
Congers
Haverstraw
Stony Point
Bear Mountain
Highland Falls
Cornwall on Hudson
Newburgh

West Shore Grand Central Access
Grand Central Terminal
Harlem-125th Street
Marble Hill
Yonkers
Tarrytown East
South Nyack
West Nyack
Valley Cottage
Congers
Haverstraw
Stony Point
Bear Mountain
Highland Falls
Cornwall on Hudson
Newburgh

I-287 Railway Corridor / Cross Westchester Line
Hillburn
East Suffern
Airmont
Route 59-Nanuet
West Nyack
South Nyack
Tarrytown East
Elmsford
White Plains Transit
East White Plains
Purchase

Port Chester
Greenwich
Cos-Cob
Riverside
Old Greenwich
Stamford
East Stamford
Norton Heights
Darien
Rowayton
South Norwalk
East Norwalk
Westport
Green Farms
Southport
Fairfield
Fairfield Metro
Bridgeport
East Bridgeport
Stratford
Milford
Orange
West Haven

New Haven Union Station
New Haven State Street

Last edited by DarkWolf; 05-23-2013 at 02:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island