Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM

67 posts, read 111,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Lots complaine but had the chance to take the test. They looked down on civil service jobs. Instead went the college way , nothing wrong with that. Times have turned from them making loads of money and looking down on civil servants. Too now complaining and blaming civil servants for all the money woo's of the state. Many will understand this post a lot will not. God Bless our civil servants.
No what's really annoying is someone who never went to college using the term "money woo's" (nice apostrophe, think they teach that usage before college though) making close to $200K a year.

Why so bitter? Why does it bother you so much that people think you're overcompensated? Having problems with the neighbors? Be happy you're working in a gamed system and can never lose what you have.

As far as the Wall Streeters ad nauseum....one more time for the slow folks.....

OUR TAXES DON'T PAY THEIR SALARIES AND WE CAN CHOOSE WHAT COMPANIES TO DO BUSINESS WITH.

Now, if it's not too taxing, ponder that for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 PM

289 posts, read 399,769 times
Hahah never once did I say I was a civil servant. Now I know why your not. You would have failed this reading comprehension question. Glad you are well educated..

Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,488 times
Which civil servant without a college education is making 200k?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Im wondering the same thing?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:03 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
The OP's post reminds me of being young and watching Welcome Back Kotter on TV (I loved that show BTW). Teaching back in the 70s was considered an undesirable, low-paying, laughable job. No one took them seriously. Funny how times have changed.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Exactly!

When the Bankers , Walk Streeters, R.E., Corp America, ect.... was living the high life in the 70's to the 90's+++. Civil Servants jobs & lifestyles never changed. Maybe a slight raise and an extra vaca. But, that's about it.

Now it's the civil servants faults everything collapsed. They never asked for any bail-outs.
Municipalities are borrowing money to cover pensions, maybe a slight raise, seriously??

Didn't take long to the Wall Street comparison.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:01 PM

376 posts, read 1,016,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
nassau and suffolk police hired in the early '90s when college was not needed, but today ? good luck finding that today....(my statement is with the ones doing overtime to reach that number ) ..nothing wrong with it just putting it out there for discussion.... LIRR have some employees making 200g , con edison also some heavy OT workers achieving that ...... plenty of Port Authority employee's ....ect.....But with OT ....

Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 PM

289 posts, read 399,769 times
WOODY516
In your ear with a can of beer - Up your nose with a rubber hose

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM

186 posts, read 526,435 times
civil service...you'll never get rich but your kids can go the the dentist and or doctor and you won't have to work your whole life. Its not for everyone and I love the "I'm paying your salary with my property tax" mentality, been hearing that one for years

Old 06-06-2013, 04:42 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
The OP's post reminds me of being young and watching Welcome Back Kotter on TV (I loved that show BTW). Teaching back in the 70s was considered an undesirable, low-paying, laughable job. No one took them seriously. Funny how times have changed.
Teaching had always been a lower paying job. Most teachers, at least in primary schools, were women who enjoyed their profession and were willing to work at the lower salaries...remember, they had fewer opportunities beforfe the 70s.

I remember being in high school in the early 70s when we got an influx of young male teachers. They didnt choose that profession, they grabbed it to avoid the draft. Teachers were exempt from being drafted. Guess it was easier dealing with a bunch of brats for 6 hours at low pay then carrying a rifle in Vietnam for even lower pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island