Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 01:16 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
I did speak with recruiters. They said point-blank... "You do not live in NC, employers here that we deal with do not feel comfortable with out of state candidates."
That is a straight forward answer. Then you need to decide if you wish to pursue the current course, relocate anyway or pick another location. It's not easy but they are not the only ones favoring the local candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 AM

37 posts, read 53,165 times
There is no place like Long Island, but the taxes are the biggest ripoff in the country. Small house big taxes, but good school.

If you are thinking of leaving rent your house for two or three years and go rent and try other places. Castro Valley is very nice, as is Alpharetta GA, most of FL, those are the places I can recommend. Do not think it will be the same, but you may like it.

I have watched many people leave LI and not be able to afford to come back. RENT your house, but you must do a criminal and tenant/landlord eviction background check. Last thing you want is a non-paying tenant when you are testing other places.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:33 AM

37 posts, read 53,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
1% property tax
A lot of transplants, so it's not like we're in the "deep south" (as much as certain posters say it is... )
Warm weather
We're 20 minutes from a really heavily populated area (like Nassau County), but where we are is still pretty populated. Another 20 minutes away is Atlanta if we ever get the itch for city sights.
People are friendly
The area is heavily invested in jobs for my industry (City of Alpharetta Website || HOME)

One thing I don't like is the amount of subdivisions.
================================================== =============
first Alpharetta taxes are around $6000.00 per year, highest in the state. Alpharetta has most of the super rich in Georgia. CEO, STARs, TV, Movie, Football, google 30004 subdivisions have HOA that sometimes are run by crazy people who are on crazy power trips. HAS a rush hour, nothing like the LIE but still a rush hour.

It is the deep south, do not kid yourself on that. People are phony, unless from up north.

and of course you are living in a 6 bedroom, 3 1/2 bath house that is abour 4000 sq ft you should look at the ones under $400k, most are over priced.

Schools are what you make of them. If you let your kids do nothing you will have students with C's, if you raise them right GT is paid for by the Hope Scholarship, as are all state schools.

google 13047 Freemanville Rd Milton, GA 30004 ‎it is the house just behind the baseball yield. When it was being built I thought it was going to be a catering hall. Compare the size of the house to the baseball field. The high school is Milton High School, two of my children graduated there.

You are better off in counties other than Fulton, one like Cobb that does not collect school taxes on people over 60? or 65? taxes can be $1500 per year. You are better to rent down here for several years to choose the best county for your needs.

NY food is starting to arrive, but most food is so/so unless you know the good spots. I NYC there were no bad spots. Down here it is not NYC food. I travel back and forth and miss NY less and less as I can get good pizza and other things that were not here just two years ago.

Forget Broadway, the Fox theater and another in Cobb are all that is here on the large shows. And this is OFF-broadway at best. NY will always top everywhere when it comes to the theater.

Forget public transportation.

Castro Valley CA is great, rental $2000.00 per month about the same size as LI, great weather year round. As close to NY as you can get, and lower your taxes down to the $3000 range.

I have always liked Florida, and hope to hit the right time for me to buy a beach house one day and retire.

A lot depends on children schools and jobs, GOOD LUCK.

As I said rent your house to a WELL QUALIFIED tenant and go rent and see how you like it. Good Luck

Old 10-31-2013, 02:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorperson View Post
There is no place like Long Island, but the taxes are the biggest ripoff in the country. Small house big taxes, but good school.

If you are thinking of leaving rent your house for two or three years and go rent and try other places. Castro Valley is very nice, as is Alpharetta GA, most of FL, those are the places I can recommend. Do not think it will be the same, but you may like it.

I have watched many people leave LI and not be able to afford to come back. RENT your house, but you must do a criminal and tenant/landlord eviction background check. Last thing you want is a non-paying tenant when you are testing other places.
Anyone thinking of taking this advice should read his epic post #31 on thread "New advice for eviction timetable" as to how it can go horribly wrong when you are an undercapitalizalized landlord over a 1000 miles away! Bottom line is if you cannot afford to both pay your mortgage on your NY home and rent on your southern home plus a RE property manager for at least 6-12 months without the tenant's rent, you are gambling bigtime. poorperson blamed it on the judge, but it was the foolish landlord who didn't know what was right, not the judge. Don't be that foolish landlord!
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Anyone thinking of taking this advice should read his epic post #31 on thread "New advice for eviction timetable" as to how it can go horribly wrong when you are an undercapitalizalized landlord over a 1000 miles away! Bottom line is if you cannot afford to both pay your mortgage on your NY home and rent on your southern home plus a RE property manager for at least 6-12 months without the tenant's rent, you are gambling bigtime. poorperson blamed it on the judge, but it was the foolish landlord who didn't know what was right, not the judge. Don't be that foolish landlord!
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
This is sage advice. Good friends of mine relocated cross country but elected to keep their Long Island home for the tax benefits (and also in an attempt to allow the real estate market to recover a bit before selling). However they needed to rent it in order to afford the mortgage and it's been a nightmare for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
I did speak with recruiters. They said point-blank... "You do not live in NC, employers here that we deal with do not feel comfortable with out of state candidates."
I don't know what your industry is but this isn't entirely true. Because it's so common for people to relocate here (Raleigh, NC) for jobs it's considered acceptable in the technology sector. And I've interviewed quite a few candidates recently who would need to relocate should they accept an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Moving isn't easy, it's a calculated risk. The more homework the better (planning, research, budget crunching, etc). It's substantially easier with a job waiting, but even then it's a tough and gutsy thing to do. Risk vs. reward, like everything else.
Excellent point! We planned, visited, analyzed, researched, considered and reconsidered before committing to relocating. And even with all that planning and preparation it was remarkably challenging.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Pittsburgh, Pa

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
More import, how many admit to it....
I'll have you know that Orange Va. hosts 2 distinct wineries and is also home to James Madison. That's right, I live in a land of wine and dead presidents, I'm of a higher class...lol

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I'll have you know that Orange Va. hosts 2 distinct wineries and is also home to James Madison. That's right, I live in a land of wine and dead presidents, I'm of a higher class...lol
Oh one last thing. I live just outside C'ville, Orange is a small country town but it is so pretty here and rather peaceful. Sure we got a John Deere dealership, people who wear ball caps and drive pickup trucks, and our only grocery store is Food Lion. But if you can look past that, the biggest advantage to Orange is it's central location and closeness to Charlottesville where just the other night I took in a Pearl Jam concert at JPJ. I had a running joke, parking and dinner before the show cost me 25, the t-shirt cost me 40. Pearl Jam, god bless em'

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Forgive me, I didn't realise what a cultural secret OC was..

Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
If you don't mind the cold northeast winters this is hands down the cheapest small city to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Pittsburgh, Pa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island