Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,817 times

Advertisements

I would move to South Carolina. Seems to be very up and coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 06:20 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEQUA10 View Post
I could never really live down there. It seems very slow, underdeveloped, and behind the times.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 PM

312 posts, read 516,359 times
Some areas of South Carolina are pretty nice and more progressive than others.

I left Mt. Pleasant, SC, in July. The schools were great, etc. IF I were to ever live again in South Carolina (which wouldn't occur prior to retirement if it occurred), it would have to be on the coast though. The coast is more liberal than the rest of the state (but we are not talking "that" liberal). That said, and my Wantagh NY neighbors said they did have a difficult adjustment due to the slow pace of life. It took a few months and some tears to adjust, but now they love it. ;-) I don't know. People are friendly there, and it is very clean, but I am kind of enjoying life here.

Summerville and Mt. Pleasant seem to be popular SC cities for NYers and those from NJ.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEQUA10 View Post
Without reading the entire thread again this is my opinion on SC. We lived in Greenville,SC. from 4/07 to 10/08 and would never move back there again except for cheaper living and it ends there. HATE it for reason that will and have started wars on here and a few threads closed due to me fighting with others. Back here on LI poor and hating it too.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 PM

43 posts, read 51,426 times
I lived in the metro area all my life. have family here, upstate and in Sc. in about 4 years I will be leaving this area. I don't believe I will be moving upstate but instaed down south. I really enjoy the area from what i seen on one of my many visits. I really had it with the cold , rat race , high taxes and long traffic delays.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Missouri!

Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 PM

149 posts, read 151,756 times
Well, for me Arizona will hopefully be my destination. After paying thru the nose for everything around here, I will be happy to keep most of it in my wallet.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 49,856 times
Default Probably get blasted

tried to read through most of the threads and probably get blasted but here goes. Native north New Jersyan, staunch NYC lover (worked and lived) moved to Orlando in 2000 had 3 kids and then moved to LI in 2005 to be closer to hubby's family. That said, we live in Suffolk, make (what i thought ) was decent money. 87,000 nurse salary, 67000, admin. Came at the bubble burst and mortgages very tight to get, we dont have the money for 20% down payment for a 300,000 house and dont have 700's credit score for low mortgage rate. Been renting a 3 bedroom house for 8 years. one car paid for, one leased. The price of oil, LIPA, car insurance, freaking Optimum cable, water, cess pool every year to clean out, 2300 rent, and various necessities (food, clothes etc) and we are just barely making it. I noticed that people that live on Long Island have very tight family or friend ties more than i have seen anywhere else in the country (moved around alot when younger). That's what keeps people living here. As it is, we are seriously looking to move closer to my family in the Ormond Beach Florida area (yeah..i know, not greatest choice but more family there and lower cost of living). I would like to stay on Long Island but after 8 years, our incomes have hardly changed and everything keeps going up and something HAS to give, and I dont think it's going to be Long Island. Just wish it was a little more affordable. Oh, and the schools dont seem to be getting better, but the opposite. I already know about Florida schools so you can save those posts.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM

145 posts, read 227,198 times
My husband & I are late 20s & early 30s, and bought our house in Levittown 5 years ago. I've always loved Long Island and vowed I'd never leave, but I'm really getting tired of the corruption, no increase in his (nyc teacher) salary in a long time, bills going up, no sense of community in this neighborhood at all, and traffic/congestion.

We live ok and manage to save a bit, but now that I'll be a stay at home mom in 2 months after I give birth, starting to wonder how much we'll really be able to save. We're really considering moving to northeast PA where he'll commute to his job in the city. Nicer/cheaper house, lower taxes, lower bills, and better quality of life for our future kids. I just feel like this isn't the LI I knew growing up. It seems like everyone is stressed by the COL and it's causing people to become much more rude.

We're going to have to either build an extension or trade up once we have our 2nd kid. We're really not liking the idea of starting all over on a more expensive mortgage. I'd have to work FT in the city in order for us to do this once our kids would be school aged, but even then, I hate the thought of getting home late in the evening and hiring a babysitter to stay with the kids a few hours after school. I know, I know, so many people do it, but I don't want to miss out on valuable time with our kids growing up. If we move to PA, I'll be able to work a PT job on the side with tons of money to spare.

My breaking point was hearing about PSEG and how corrupt they are with charging us astronomically more than LIPA.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItransplant View Post
tried to read through most of the threads and probably get blasted but here goes. Native north New Jersyan, staunch NYC lover (worked and lived) moved to Orlando in 2000 had 3 kids and then moved to LI in 2005 to be closer to hubby's family. That said, we live in Suffolk, make (what i thought ) was decent money. 87,000 nurse salary, 67000, admin. Came at the bubble burst and mortgages very tight to get, we dont have the money for 20% down payment for a 300,000 house and dont have 700's credit score for low mortgage rate. Been renting a 3 bedroom house for 8 years. one car paid for, one leased. The price of oil, LIPA, car insurance, freaking Optimum cable, water, cess pool every year to clean out, 2300 rent, and various necessities (food, clothes etc) and we are just barely making it. I noticed that people that live on Long Island have very tight family or friend ties more than i have seen anywhere else in the country (moved around alot when younger). That's what keeps people living here. As it is, we are seriously looking to move closer to my family in the Ormond Beach Florida area (yeah..i know, not greatest choice but more family there and lower cost of living). I would like to stay on Long Island but after 8 years, our incomes have hardly changed and everything keeps going up and something HAS to give, and I dont think it's going to be Long Island. Just wish it was a little more affordable. Oh, and the schools dont seem to be getting better, but the opposite. I already know about Florida schools so you can save those posts.
You don't need to move. You need a financial planner. 154K a year $2300/month rent and you can't make it? Hell, you aren't even paying property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island