Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Not meant racially at all. "Special snowflake" is a term tossed around another site I frequent that's used when someone thinks they or their kids are especially unique (since every snowflake is unique, get it?) Absolutely nothing to do with race.
Every individual is unique. There is no such thing as "especially unique".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
There is no such thing as "especially unique".
But some people think there kids are, which is kind of the point.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:52 PM

90 posts, read 216,796 times
the LI Intelligensia gather at stephens talkhouse and smoke galois cigarettes, drink port and discuss poetry and the tenets of nilism... duh thought evryone new that

Old 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
[quote=mitsguy2001;30237450]I was referring to two seperate comments; sorry if I wasn't clear. I was trying to ask what do you consider to be Long Island's "intelligentsia". You have not yet answered that question. [quote]

I thought my opinion on that was pretty clear from my first post on this thread, when I wrote "If you mean that you're looking for some kind of intellectual culture like you'd find in Manhattan or the trendier parts of Brooklyn, I'm sorry to say you made the wrong choice the minute you decided to move to Long Island." There aren't any, at least not at a community level. There are individual people I've met from plenty of places who I would think of as intellectual, but there's no town on LI that I would identify as being an "intellectual" type of place, or where I'd say the "intelligentsia" live.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You forgot this thing called "Stony Brook University" and the hospital.

While there are people like you described in Smithtown, you also have plenty of white collar and professionals. Your description is more that of an area like Holbrook or Ronkonkoma. I have Dr's and USB Professors within a few doors of me.

I'm not sure if your counting teachers and cops as "union labor", but of course there are plenty of them as well.
I didn't forget about SUNY Stony Brook. I'm a Stony Brook grad-u-ate. Even when I attended, Stony Brook was not really a 'college town.' The university, like most in the SUNY system, is relatively self-contained, though it has grown much larger since I attended. Thankfully, they now have a decent football program, which will help promote school spirit. But it will take some time. The health sciences center is totally separate and unless you work there, study there or are a patient, it is transparent to Smithtown.

My experience is the bulk of the faculty usually settles in the surrounding areas of Setauket, Stony Brook, and Port Jeff Village, but I would not be surprised if a few live in Smithtown.

Actually, I'm not describing Holbrook or Ronkonkoma. I'm describing the affluent neighborhoods in Northern Smithtown, and sure there are lots of Drs. and lawyers in Smithtown. I mean drive along rt 25 in Smithtown and you'll see lots and lots of law offices and medical buildings, right? Along with the empty storefronts and defunct car dealers now used for storage lots.

Smithtown is certainly a good place to live... just not quite as funky as some other towns and neighborhoods closer to the city. Of course, this statement assumes you can stomach those property taxes, which are ridiculous.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by "LI's intelligencia"? I often wonder if I'm the only person on this board with a non-unionized private sector professional job on Long Island (as opposed to the city). I do seriously worry about what areas I'll be able to afford when I have kids and need a house that is big enough for them (I currently live in a condo, which is great for my wife and I, but will be too small after having 2 kids). What areas on Long Island are there for people like me?
If you're not the only person in a private sector job, you're one of the last. Last time I checked, the only way private business stays on LI is with huge tax incentives and energy rebates. The larger businesses, like Canon, have gotten so used to getting local bargains, they figure salaries can be discounted as well. Of course, if you're a long-term employee, you'll hang on for dear life, because finding decent money on LI, outside of union labor, ambulance chasing, md or dds, is a lot like finding the missing link.

As for the answer about finding people like you, I'd try Dallas. On LI, just try finding a good area that you can afford. And check the growth of the property tax once you do find an area. While I lived on LI, my property taxes nearly doubled over 10 years!

Old 06-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
If you're not the only person in a private sector job, you're one of the last. Last time I checked, the only way private business stays on LI is with huge tax incentives and energy rebates. The larger businesses, like Canon, have gotten so used to getting local bargains, they figure salaries can be discounted as well. Of course, if you're a long-term employee, you'll hang on for dear life, because finding decent money on LI, outside of union labor, ambulance chasing, md or dds, is a lot like finding the missing link.

As for the answer about finding people like you, I'd try Dallas. On LI, just try finding a good area that you can afford. And check the growth of the property tax once you do find an area. While I lived on LI, my property taxes nearly doubled over 10 years!
My family lives on Long Island, and I have no interest in leaving Long Island.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
My family lives on Long Island, and I have no interest in leaving Long Island.
This. I'd pay out my ***** any day to know my fam and friends are close by. Want to go elsewhere? Thats what a vacation is for. Cant put a price tag on people, folks.

Awww that was me being pithy. One point for the DAWG.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
This. I'd pay out my ***** any day to know my fam and friends are close by. Want to go elsewhere? Thats what a vacation is for. Cant put a price tag on people, folks.

Yes, friends and family are very important... but since they don't pay my property taxes, I leave. Life is more sane and enjoyable when you don't start each day with a huge liability hanging over your head. It makes for better relationships with friends and family.

Now on vacations, my family visits from LI. At least once during their stay, the usual comment is along the lines of "wow, I can understand why you moved here..."

I'm glad you're content, though. Seems like lot's of LIers are not.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Thank you!! Glad somebody understands me!!! Maybe you can give a serious answer to what areas on Long Island or in NYC would work for someone like me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island