Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 4,995 times

Advertisements

We had great hot water when we moved into our house 9 months ago. But around 4 months ago, our hot water started running out after a few minutes. Now, only the first person to shower in the morning gets hot water. Called an appliance repair service, but they said there probably isn't anything they can do.

So we are thinking of replacing the water heater, but we are not sure whether to go tankless or not. We have a traditional tank water heater right now that runs on natural gas. My understanding is that the tankless will provide unlimited hot water and will save money on electricity. But I also have read that the savings are illusory because they cost so much more up front to purchase and install. Also, I've read that the tankless heaters wont work when the power goes out, which is a big issue on LI given our terrible power infrastructure.

I was wondering where other people have come out on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM

158 posts, read 379,875 times
The other option you may want to consider is an indirect HW heater. It's basically just a storage tank that you place on a separate zone and your gas boiler (if you have one and not a hot air furnace) heats the water. We did this a few years ago and like its recovery time. Depending on the size of your family, you can get 30, 40 or 50 gallon units. We did a 30 and its more than sufficient for showers, dishwasher and laundry for 2 people.

Matt

Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg6411 View Post
So we are thinking of replacing the water heater, but we are not sure whether to go tankless or not. We have a traditional tank water heater right now that runs on natural gas. My understanding is that the tankless will provide unlimited hot water and will save money on electricity. But I also have read that the savings are illusory because they cost so much more up front to purchase and install. Also, I've read that the tankless heaters wont work when the power goes out, which is a big issue on LI given our terrible power infrastructure.

I was wondering where other people have come out on this issue.
I would go tankless and probally will the next time we replace our HW Heater. How would a gas HW Heater save on electricity as you stated?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
There are two things I love about tankless: unlimited hot water

No upleasant surprises when the hot water tank decides to die and leak two inches of water all over the first floor of your condo... and invade the condo next door. .. leaving your HO insurance carrier and the condo insurance carrier fighting over who is NOT responsible.

True.. no electricity.. no hot water with tankless. Though LI is so bad with power infrastructure... I'd get a natural gas generator.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Do you own a forced hot water boiler to heat your house?

Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,609 times
I did look into the tankless water heater .. the unit size I was looking at which was for a normal 2 bath house needed a 60 amp breaker . My 200 amp breaker panel is full with most of the breakers doubled already . So in my situation I would need a electrician to add a sub panel , which means more money added to my cost ... Just a thought people need to know ..... ..all my appliances are electric is the reason for a full panel ..no gas ..

Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
We are looking into tankless as well. Our HW heater is most likely 20 years old. What brands are good?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Rinnai is the most pupular brand that I have seen. #1 Selling Gas Appliance Manufacturer Rinnai voted "Best Tankless Water Heater" | Rinnai

Old 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
If I chose a tankless heat I wold go with Rinnai.....very good unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: