Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Clearly you are a reverse racist. Diversity is merely your way of saying you dont want to live with too many white people.
Then by your definition, wanting diversity IS a form of racism. It's a fair point, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
At least I will readily admit that when I left NYC I was looking for a white middle class community.

Its apparent that some groups like to use the word diversity to say they dont want to live around too many whites. Of course, upper middle class diversity simply means you are willing to only live around non-whites who have money and can easily conjugate the verb "to be".

That's why I never get upset when people post that they want to live in a Jewish area, or black area....at least they are being honest.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:43 PM

45 posts, read 79,723 times
New Hyde Park - Herricks School District

Old 07-16-2013, 01:23 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Its apparent that some groups like to use the word diversity to say they dont want to live around too many whites.
I think they are trying to avoid too much of the blue collar demographic. I heard it does lead to conflicts with those with white collar expectations especially when debating school budgets and priorities. In the end they really want to live among those of like minds albeit different ethnic backgrounds, which does not really represent "diversity".

Old 07-16-2013, 01:27 PM

138 posts, read 379,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Where do your diverse neighbors send their kids to study if not the public schools?
Only a small sliver of our area is zoned for Hewlett Woodmere schools. There are probably only about 20 blocks that are part of SD 14. So when you take our little piece of Valley Stream, which makes up about 5 or 10 percent of the student population (where we are diverse) and mix it with the rest of the student population which is around 90 to 95 percent of the entire student population, the ration of minorities become diluted. Makes sense?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:47 PM

138 posts, read 379,140 times
Quote:
Clearly you are a reverse racist. Diversity is merely your way of saying you dont want to live with too many white people.
Not wanting to live with too many white people does not mean I think Chinese people are superior to them. I like living in a diverse neighborhood so I can teach my kids that you should meet/talk/get to know people instead of being nervous just because someone is of a different skin color than you. Do you think I have White neighbors that I will refuse to speak to just because they are White? So not the case! I enjoy meeting people of different backgrounds/cultures. We are all human, just with a little different upbringing.

Clearly, you choose to live where you feel most comfortable. And there is nothing wrong with that. I get that you are a little leery of people of different back grounds. I'm not here to judge your views.

I also chose to live where I feel most comfortable. So let me be and don't try to cast a derogatory term on me by calling me a reverse racist.

The only reason I took offense to the post was because you seem to have labeled all minorities as non english speaking, stinky food eating aliens. And I just wanted to clear up that notion for you and others who may think that just because my skin is a little yellow (or brown from my tan right now), that there are plenty of us who are as "normal" as can be.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
That's a crazy and far fetched conclusion to come up with

Old 07-16-2013, 01:53 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG2011 View Post
We are looking to move to Long Island and thought we had settled on Garden City, but we can't get past the lack of diversity in the town. We love the parks and amenities but we want our kids to be around people of multiple cultures. We are at a loss to find towns that meet these criteria. Syosset keeps coming up. It seems to be not quite as diverse as we would like but certainly better than GC and seems to check most of the boxes. Are there any other towns that meet these criteria (this list is just off the top of my head):

Thanks in advance!

Budget is 900k
Great school district
Diverse town (i.e. NOT Garden City)
Walking distance to LIRR with under 45 minute commute
Able to walk to a "downtown" with grocery store, deli, etc (we are used to that now, it would be hard to give up)
Parks and open spaces
Three pages of replies, I guess they're getting better at it...

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ls-nassau.html

Old 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:

Yes. Diversity does mean that you do not want to live with exclusively White people. In my case, White Christian people. We have an Asian daughter through adoption, which makes diversity that much more important to us.

Why does that bother you? I love diversity. I do not hate my own race, but I want my children to be around a mixture of ethnicities, races and religions.

We are originally from Long Island, and we found more diversity in Suffolk County than in Nassau.

I'd recommend the Stony Brook - Setauket area. Three Village Schools.

We now live in the mid west. In another diverse community.

In Nassau, I'd suggest Port Washington and Oyster Bay. Both diverse and yet have an upscale vibe.
I'm a graduate of the Oyster Bay School District.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:06 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This should help: https://reportcards.nysed.gov/view.p...y=28&year=2012

By the looks of things, West Hempstead may also be considered. Very diverse and had a 91% graduation rate according to the most recent NYSED Report Card. Perhaps parts of Baldwin, which had a 90% graduation rate and is also very diverse. Valley Stream also may work. Clicking on Accountabiliy Report shows the graduation rates based off of a 4 and 5 year cohort and test scores. Clicking on Report Card shows the demographics of the school/school district. So, that website could provide you with the information you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island