Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I hear they also charge a stupid amount for that H2O substance. Don't flush the toilets until at least 3 people have done their business in it!

When we were selling our Nassau house, city people would come and take a look. They even said the costs even out. Even if they don't, it's not that far off.
I said the same. Water is much more than living on LI and I mean WAAAAYYY more. I pay $36 for water every 3 months and friends who also live on LI told me that was a lot lol. If I'm not mistaken, my dad's water bill is over $1000 for the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Face it...public sector is bleeding you guys dry.....it is what it is. Just come to Queens. Same house you're getting with lower property taxes and better public transportation. That extra 8 grand will come in handy taking the kids to Disney.

What about the schools? It's not like a person can settle anywhere in NYC and have decent schools. I can move just about anywhere in Nassau and Suffolk (with the exception of about 5-6 school districts) and not have to worry about my child being in an overcrowded classroom, receiving a sub-parr education.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
What about the schools? It's not like a person can settle anywhere in NYC and have decent schools. I can move just about anywhere in Nassau and Suffolk (with the exception of about 5-6 school districts) and not have to worry about my child being in an overcrowded classroom, receiving a sub-parr education.
You gotta have some serious coin to raise a family and live somewhere close enough to the city to be home in time for dinner. The lucky select few get to drive 20 minutes to work.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
You gotta have some serious coin to raise a family and live somewhere close enough to the city to be home in time for dinner. The lucky select few get to drive 20 minutes to work.
1) Not everyone living on LI works in NYC.
2) Not all city schools within 20 mins of Nassau are good.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Depends on your work hours if they are flexible and what time you eat dinner.

It is possible to make it from NYC to Babylon, Ronkonkoma and be home in time for dinner. 6-7 pm.

Assuming no screwups on the LIRR,

424 Penn -> 545 Ronk
429 Flatbush -> 557 Ronk
451 Penn -> 604 Ronk
501 Penn -> 620 Ronk
522 Penn -> 638 Ronk
541 Penn -> 649 Ronk
553 Penn -> 711 Ronk

Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Depends on your work hours if they are flexible and what time you eat dinner.

It is possible to make it from NYC to Babylon, Ronkonkoma and be home in time for dinner. 6-7 pm.

Assuming no screwups on the LIRR,

424 Penn -> 545 Ronk
429 Flatbush -> 557 Ronk
451 Penn -> 604 Ronk
501 Penn -> 620 Ronk
522 Penn -> 638 Ronk
541 Penn -> 649 Ronk
553 Penn -> 711 Ronk
LMAO! For that to be your whole commute time, just make sure your house is right next door to the LIRR station and you don't need to drive and park to it or take a bus PLUS make sure your desk is right on the platform at Penn or Atlantic Terminal and you don't need to commute further to your office via subway, bus, etc. like most people do.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! For that to be your whole commute time, just make sure your house is right next door to the LIRR station and you don't need to drive and park to it or take a bus PLUS make sure your desk is right on the platform at Penn or Atlantic Terminal and you don't need to commute further to your office via subway, bus, etc. like most people do.
I live 5 mins from Ronk and work 2 blocks from Penn, this is my schedule.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
I live 5 mins from Ronk and work 2 blocks from Penn, this is my schedule.
You're a rare and lucky case. Yet your travel time is STILL a bit longer than the LIRR published schedule train running time. 5 minutes from the station; 2 blocks from Penn; it still adds up to some increments of time.

For most people, their commute is significantly longer than the LIRR published schedule train running time due to:

- time it takes to get from house to LIRR station
- time it takes to find a spot and park
- time it takes to walk to and get up on platform
- ACTUAL train running time (including late time; most trains are still counted as on time by LIRR even though they are 5 minutes late and many trains are routinely more than 5 minutes late)
- time it takes to fight the mob and get up off the platform via steps and escalators (add 10 minutes)
- time it takes to get to and wait for next arriving source of public transit (subway or bus); add another 10 to 20 minutes
- travel time on secondary source of public transit
- time it takes to walk from where secondary source of public transit lets off to where your workplace is

Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You're a rare and lucky case. Yet your travel time is STILL a bit longer than the LIRR published schedule train running time. 5 minutes from the station; 2 blocks from Penn; it still adds up to some increments of time.

For most people, their commute is significantly longer than the LIRR published schedule train running time due to:

- time it takes to get from house to LIRR station
- time it takes to find a spot and park
- time it takes to walk to and get up on platform
- ACTUAL train running time (including late time; most trains are still counted as on time by LIRR even though they are 5 minutes late)
- time it takes to fight the mob and get up off the platform via steps and escalators (add 10 minutes)
- time it takes to get to and wait for next arriving source of public transit (subway or bus); add another 10 to 20 minutes
- travel time on secondary source of public transit
- time it takes to walk from where secondary source of public transit lets off to where your workplace is
You are looking for ways to make it look bad. I never said complete time..
It does not take 10 mins to get off the platform if you know where you are going and what you are doing.

With that being said, it is possible to be out of the house a little before 6am and be home around 6pm or 7 and 7.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 PM

157 posts, read 285,211 times
IMO prices aren't low enough to entice someone who's done proper research.

Aside from the 10k+ property taxes, there's the inconvenience and expense of commuting to work for those who work in the city, there's the issue of maintenance costs and headache of septic systems, but foremost the issue that's most concerning is the astronomical cancer rates, likely caused by pesticides and pharmaceuticals leeching into your water supply whereas if you're living in say Brooklyn or Queens you're serviced with pristine water from upstate reservoirs that's arguably better than many bottled waters.

Sure you're got some great schools but you can find equally high-rated schools within the boroughs of NYC. Plus it's not worth going to great schools if you're upped your exposure to carcinogenic compouds 1000X.

Here's something worth looking at before moving your family to Long Island. Take note of where Suffolk county stand and compare it to the NYC boroughs.

Map Data Table - State Cancer Profiles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island