Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

LIPA increased rates about 10% in March, "citing power supply charges". They then followed up this week with another 4% increase blaming a complex series of power and fuel costs for the change.

What bothers me about this is most of the power they purchase is generated from natural gas. Natural Gas prices have only gone down over the last 5 years, and today they are sitting near 15 year LOWS. While these increases don't add up to a tremendous amount of money, I'd like to know who we can say 'you're welcome' to for that filet mignon and lobster dinner on us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
The problem is nobody does anything. We all just sit there and let them have their way with us. We complain and just keep paying.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:16 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
LIPA increased rates about 10% in March, "citing power supply charges". They then followed up this week with another 4% increase blaming a complex series of power and fuel costs for the change.

What bothers me about this is most of the power they purchase is generated from natural gas. Natural Gas prices have only gone down over the last 5 years, and today they are sitting near 15 year LOWS. While these increases don't add up to a tremendous amount of money, I'd like to know who we can say 'you're welcome' to for that filet mignon and lobster dinner on us.
Setting up for those HUGE health care cost increases that are about to shock the world.
Someone has got to pay for it. ALL the costs (no matter what services, utilities, food, labor, ect...) will be passed along to the consumer.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

4% of a $300 bill +/- = $12 more x's how many L.I.'s? I am just talking residential! Corporations who spend THOUSANDS per month on electric.

Hundreds of thousands of dollars, it not more!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:08 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Setting up for those HUGE health care cost increases that are about to shock the world.
Someone has got to pay for it. ALL the costs (no matter what services, utilities, food, labor, ect...) will be passed along to the consumer.
LIPA has a host of problems that have nothing to do with Obamacare but thanks for bringing your pet issue into the debate.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
SolarCity dot com

Old 08-07-2013, 11:54 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
LIPA has a host of problems that have nothing to do with Obamacare but thanks for bringing your pet issue into the debate.

De Nile is a nice place to visit but you shouldn't live there.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:14 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
De Nile is a nice place to visit but you shouldn't live there.
Obamacare would be horrifying if it weren't working so well. Me thinks the GOP and tea biscuiters will be side stepping that issue soon enough. The general electorate doesn't care. Their health insurance either just went down or they suddenly have some. Then again, not sure how this relates to LIPA in the slightest.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Obamacare would be horrifying if it weren't working so well. Me thinks the GOP and tea biscuiters will be side stepping that issue soon enough. The general electorate doesn't care. Their health care either just went down or they suddenly have some.

Obamacare didn't even start. Just wait. I don't like what I'm hearing will be going on.

First up:

They postponed the fines for businesses not giving health insurance for one year because the forms are "too complicated" and the businesses complained they need more time to understand them.

However, they did not postpone the fines for individuals being responsible for buying their own health insurance if they are unemployed or their employer does not offer it. Those fines will be due and payable, even if the individual actually works for a business whose fine was forgiven. Every year now all individuals will have to prove on their federal income tax form that they, their spouses and their dependents were covered all year by some form of health insurance or they will have to pay a fine to the federal government. The fine system is a similar to the existing Massachusetts plan. However, the Obamacare plan offers no public option to those who are not over 65 or poverty level. You have to buy individual health insurance from a for profit health insurance company. I say this is not going to be pretty. Supposedly rate tables for 2014, when all uninsured who don't qualify for Medicare or Medicaid will legally be compelled to buy or be fined, will be publicized in October 2013. I doubt there will be reasonable pricing as from what I know the Obamacare laws have no rate limitations. Looks to me like a big giveaway of captive customers to Big Insurance. However, we will see when the rate tables and plans come out to see what people will get for the money they will be forced to spend. And I mean forced. It's not like car insurance where you can simply not have a car, is it?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM

295 posts, read 345,869 times
Although, there is no public option for those over 65/poverty, they do not not need to purchase from a private. Medicare/medicaid is not going away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island