Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:54 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Good info in this post...

The seller of the home I am buying in Sound Beach wanted 10K in earnest money. We were equally as surprised and figured our measly 1K would be enough. We settled on 5K...but I got an earful about how this is the state of the market these days. Once again...all real estate is local! IN Utah, where I am selling my home, 1K would be plenty for earnest money.

I was also told (as Tom says) that the earnest money will not be used and I would get it back. It is more for the warm fuzzys of the seller. Best to work this with your lawyer.
Thats nuts

The buyer should be driving the deal in this market
not the seller

Id walk out on principle(its not like theres a shortage of inventory) then tell them they need to lower their price 10k just for pi$$ing me off.

Im funny like that

F them

C

Last edited by clamboy; 11-15-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 11:48 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,761,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It is at all possible to buy a house with 0 down? I have heard of people who have done it...how does that work?
There are definately programs that allow for no money down. In fact, there are programs that provide 106% financing, allowing you to finance your closing costs as well.

The difference in these programs between now and those of a couple of years ago (that are now blowing up) is that they are "full documentation" loans. In other words, you need good credit and be able to prove your income.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Thats nuts

The buyer should be driving the deal in this market
not the seller

Id walk out on principle(its not like theres a shortage of inventory) then tell them they need to lower their price 10k just for pi$$ing me off.

Im funny like that

F them

C
Come on, C. I thought you were smarter then that. If someone wanted you to take your house of the market, would you do that for $1,000? Even though it is a buyer's market, sellers still need to protect themselves. You have to weigh the entire situation. Look back to my post on this thread about the difference between pre-approval and pre-qualification to get a better idea of the risk involved for the seller.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Come on, C. I thought you were smarter then that. If someone wanted you to take your house of the market, would you do that for $1,000? Even though it is a buyer's market, sellers still need to protect themselves. You have to weigh the entire situation. Look back to my post on this thread about the difference between pre-approval and pre-qualification to get a better idea of the risk involved for the seller.
I thought you werent talking to me
(did you get my pm?)

I thought he said $10,000

My Bad

c

Old 11-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I thought you werent talking to me
(did you get my pm?)

I thought he said $10,000

My Bad

c
Sorry, I didn't notice it. Just responded.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:54 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't notice it. Just responded.
It was 10K initially...my realtor and lawyer talked them down to 5K before they even mentioned it to me. Its all good...great house at a great price. They had lost 3 contracts on this house previously so I guess I can understand their jitters.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
It was 10K initially...my realtor and lawyer talked them down to 5K before they even mentioned it to me. Its all good...great house at a great price. They had lost 3 contracts on this house previously so I guess I can understand their jitters.
Best of luck with your new home.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:35 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Best of luck with your new home.
Many Thanks! We are excited about moving to the N. Shore.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogirl View Post
Hi guys I have a question hope you guys can help. I am thinking about buying a house in huntington for $345K, the real estate agent at the open house told me that the seller wants 20k+ in earnest money. Is this the norm on LI, I was thinking more like 1-2%. In any case the seller rejected my offer b/c i only wanted to put down 7K. I am a first time buyer so I am new to all this. Advice appreciated.
Earnest money?

20K???

*rollin on the floor laughin*...is what I would be if somebody asked for that.

They gotta be kidding.

I've NEVER given anybody any earnest money

and I'm on my fourth home.

Plus so many shady deals and scams take place here, I wouldn't dare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island