Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:07 AM

909 posts, read 1,839,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
i think I see where the confusion comes from. The OP equates the townhouse with a rowhouse, similar to what you find in Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx-these are not condos, but single family homes that are attached to other homes from both sides (well, except for the corner ones). As far as I know, such do not exist in Oceanside and all the townhouses are part of either a condominium or co-op. Cove is a co-op, a very nice one indeed, but I am not sure if they have 3 bedrooms there, most of the sales ads I saw there was for 1 or 2 bds, same goes for Alhambra. The Valley and the Brower-Oakview developments do have 3 bedroom homes, and there is also a development of Atlantic Avenue, I think, Stevens street is a cross-street, which has 3 bedrooms. There is also the Villas townhomes, but they tend to run on a pricier side, although, they are really nice. Honestly, if I were to make a decision on buying a townhome in Oceanside, I would stick with the Brower-Oakview one, but try to get the house that is not facing Brower Avenue as this is a busy street. Take a look at mlsli.com to get an idea about each development.
I may be wrong but, isn't brower-oakview a 55+ complex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM

428 posts, read 971,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Nothing to eek about. That's where the non-whites lived before Oceanside became a little less white. I believe there are multi family homes that were attached.
Oh boy. Seriously? I'm glad people are honest about their prejudices so that I can see how closed minded NY remains. I'm all for comfort quiet and cleanliness but come on. Thanks for clarifying, Galicia.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 AM

715 posts, read 1,235,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
How long did it take you in your saving and buying process including viewing the 50 homes?
We started looking in March this year. We looked at homes on the weekend, during the week. Probably looked at 3-4 houses on the weekend, but mostly during the week since we both work on the Island and we were able to meet up with our broker. We had made offers on a few homes, but were outbid by either a cash offer or someone would forgo an inspection on a home ().

We made an offer on the house we're in contract now in July. We are in the appraisal and title stage now. If all goes well, we should be in by October.

Every person and experience is different. Some people find their house quickly while others spend years looking. Our price range was a little difficult for the Island, but we ultimately found what we were looking for: a place to call home and one we can still put our own touches on in the long run.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Oh boy. Seriously? I'm glad people are honest about their prejudices so that I can see how closed minded NY remains. I'm all for comfort quiet and cleanliness but come on. Thanks for clarifying, Galicia.
It's not really NY. It's more of a LI thing. Though there are still many 2nd/3rd generation Europeans that maintain that thought in the city.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
We started looking in March this year. We looked at homes on the weekend, during the week. Probably looked at 3-4 houses on the weekend, but mostly during the week since we both work on the Island and we were able to meet up with our broker. We had made offers on a few homes, but were outbid by either a cash offer or someone would forgo an inspection on a home ().

We made an offer on the house we're in contract now in July. We are in the appraisal and title stage now. If all goes well, we should be in by October.

Every person and experience is different. Some people find their house quickly while others spend years looking. Our price range was a little difficult for the Island, but we ultimately found what we were looking for: a place to call home and one we can still put our own touches on in the long run.
Who would want to forgo an inspection on a house these days? Imagine serious case of bugs, termites, roaches... and you'd pay $200K for that, too.

Yay, congrats on the house!!!! Do you have photos?

Old 08-21-2013, 09:19 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,771,517 times
Quote:
not sure what color primarily lives there, but it's been a notorious high crime block/area for years.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 AM

192 posts, read 355,356 times
I lived in Oceanside for 14 years. I still have family there. I had no idea there was any "high crime block/area" there. Unless "high crime" is code for Hispanic?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
I lived in Oceanside for 14 years. I still have family there. I had no idea there was any "high crime block/area" there. Unless "high crime" is code for Hispanic?
Yup. I have been in the area for 30+ and I can assure you the most crime committed is by the high school kids. They aren't really disciplined though even by the pd. To give you an example there was a mugging by the sands a couple weeks back. NCPD got the perp within hours. If it were Baldwin or Island Park they wouldn't give a crap. Luckily for Oside residents they have 3 or more of their native sons patrolling.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Yup. I have been in the area for 30+ and I can assure you the most crime committed is by the high school kids. They aren't really disciplined though even by the pd. To give you an example there was a mugging by the sands a couple weeks back. NCPD got the perp within hours. If it were Baldwin or Island Park they wouldn't give a crap. Luckily for Oside residents they have 3 or more of their native sons patrolling.
awesome. Love your town.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 AM

192 posts, read 355,356 times
Quote:
So a mugging and high school pranks. Sounds like a "high crime area" to me. ::eyeroll::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island