Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 AM

428 posts, read 970,499 times

Advertisements

Right now, we don't see much in the range of a 3/2 ranch or something similar. We like Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Malverne, Oceanside, East Rock, Rockville Cent, and that's about as far as husband and I are willing to go (commuting into Wall Street via lirr).

Anyone recommend a townhome if the single family homes are out of our price range? I love townhomes. Don't want to have to buy a condo. We plan on having one child in the future. We don't plan on buying until we have 20% DP saved - could be year and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 11:44 AM

192 posts, read 355,145 times
There are some good co-ops in Hewlett under $300K. Only thing is that taxes are high there, so your monthly maintenance payments will be astronomical.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
There are some good co-ops in Hewlett under $300K. Only thing is that taxes are high there, so your monthly maintenance payments will be astronomical.
You think there would there be a sense of non-welcoming for the non-jewish in towns like Hewlett?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 AM

192 posts, read 355,145 times
I think so. My husband and I looked in Hewlett when we were looking for houses. We're Jewish, but mainly secular and we wanted more diversity -- which kept us out of places like Cedarhurst and Woodmere. Next time you're house hunting, have lunch at one of the restaurants on Broadway near the train station, go for a walk and get a feel of the area. We didn't feel uncomfortable being out and about on a Saturday.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
I think so. My husband and I looked in Hewlett when we were looking for houses. We're Jewish, but mainly secular and we wanted more diversity -- which kept us out of places like Cedarhurst and Woodmere. Next time you're house hunting, have lunch at one of the restaurants on Broadway near the train station, go for a walk and get a feel of the area. We didn't feel uncomfortable being out and about on a Saturday.
I go to NYSC in Woodmere sometimes b/c it's close to our current home now (we usually go to Oceanside). I felt a little different....

But MAN are their neighborhoods and homes beautiful in Woodmere.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Right now, we don't see much in the range of a 3/2 ranch or something similar. We like Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Malverne, Oceanside, East Rock, Rockville Cent, and that's about as far as husband and I are willing to go (commuting into Wall Street via lirr).

Anyone recommend a townhome if the single family homes are out of our price range? I love townhomes. Don't want to have to buy a condo. We plan on having one child in the future. We don't plan on buying until we have 20% DP saved - could be year and a half.
If you're talking about buying a home a year and a half from now then you can't have the same spending expectation. You don't know what the market will be like then.

Have you thought about Franklin Square? Good schools, taxes are decent, easy commute to the city and homes are around $300k but that's mostly capes. If you want ranch or colonial you'll probably have to spend more. I bought my house 5 years ago and we kept to our budget. We didn't want to go over $369K. I would say 80% needed updating, so keep in mind with your budget you may not get a modern home. My house needs updating but it was kept immaculate so I can save up to remodel to what I like.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If you're talking about buying a home a year and a half from now then you can't have the same spending expectation. You don't know what the market will be like then.

Have you thought about Franklin Square? Good schools, taxes are decent, easy commute to the city and homes are around $300k but that's mostly capes. If you want ranch or colonial you'll probably have to spend more. I bought my house 5 years ago and we kept to our budget. We didn't want to go over $369K. I would say 80% needed updating, so keep in mind with your budget you may not get a modern home. My house needs updating but it was kept immaculate so I can save up to remodel to what I like.
Right, I don't expect the market to be the same. But I do need to go to open houses, ask questions, education myself and see what's out there now so that I know what's going on by the time we have the money.

I did look at Franklin Square actually. There is an open house this Sunday for a house in FS that I don't really like (but it's within our budget). I just want to see what it looks like in person and what it offers for the price.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,963 times
Oceanside has townhomes in that price range, right across the street from the Sands mall, the only problem is, you are not getting much of a year with it, but you surely can get 3 bd 1.5 baths for 300K in this particular development. Also, check out the Brower-Oakview development on Brower avenue, these townhomes are rather spacious.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Right, I don't expect the market to be the same. But I do need to go to open houses, ask questions, education myself and see what's out there now so that I know what's going on by the time we have the money.

I did look at Franklin Square actually. There is an open house this Sunday for a house in FS that I don't really like (but it's within our budget). I just want to see what it looks like in person and what it offers for the price.
oh definitely do your homework...it will make the process much easier. And don't rush into anything. We looked at over 50 homes until we made a decision.

It's funny, I ended up buying a house that I never wanted lol..it was everything I didn't want but it fit our budget. I would have liked a much bigger house but that means bigger mortgage and bigger utility bills. What I like about FS is that there's different styles.

If you look in the middle of FS near Franklin Ave and NHP Road, the taxes are a bit higher. I'm closer to the Elmont border so my taxes are pretty good and I'm in the FS school district.

Last edited by bellakin123; 08-20-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
Oceanside has townhomes in that price range, right across the street from the Sands mall, the only problem is, you are not getting much of a year with it, but you surely can get 3 bd 1.5 baths for 300K in this particular development. Also, check out the Brower-Oakview development on Brower avenue, these townhomes are rather spacious.
We LOVE those Oceanside townhomes and they are what actually opened our minds to buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island