Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times

Advertisements

Sorry, not making it up. This is what a 10 second search turned up. Yes it goes back to 2006, and maybe it's been cleaned up since then, but this is consistent with what I remember hearing about this block.

Tilrose residents content with officials¹ response Police make presence known on Oceanside street, three arrests made - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

Taking back their neighborhoodTilrose Ave. residents meet with officials to address crime - LIHerald.com - Nassau County's source for local news, breaking news, sports, entertainment & shopping

Quote:
At last Thursday¹s gathering, after Ford, Santino and Hettler promised a plan of action to correct these problems, Hettler reported that since the Aug. 14 incident three arrests were made on Tilrose ‹ one for assault, another for violating an order of protection and a third for drug and marijuana possession. The captain also reported that there were 25 calls made to 911 from the area in September, down from 40 in August, and noted that there has been a greater police presence, particularly in unmarked cars, on and around Tilrose.
Quote:
Since then, police have made three arrests with a fourth pending. Hettler described police activity on Tilrose since the attack, saying that officers have been dispatched to interview suspicious figures, though those questioned were not committing a criminal act at the time.
The residents of Tilrose and the surrounding area, including Davis Street, Woods Avenue and Stevens Street, organized the public meeting with Ford, Santino and Hettler to address the ongoing crime-related problems in their neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM

428 posts, read 970,209 times
The town is great regardless. Anyway, any other homes or townhomes/coops etc you can recommend in North Valley Stream or areas like that? I've seen some nice ones in the village of Valley Stream, but I'm not sure if those are called row homes or what....

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Nothing to get to excited about. The article states how the residents claim Hispanic gang activity is going on. If they were whites congregated would they still call them gangs? To be fair there was a real gang issue in the 70's and 80's and before. These kids were not portrayed as gang members but, fraternities. I bet there are more drugs sold in or around OHS than on tilrose. One good thing to say about tilrose is Sandy did not reach it.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM

192 posts, read 355,058 times
In 10 seconds I can find two articles about crime in Great Neck too:

Man Stabbed With Screwdriver in Great Neck | Long Island Press

GN woman held on arson charges - The Island Now: Great Neck

Just sayin.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I am pretty sure that the Alhambra have 3 bedroom units. The Cove have a 2 bedrooms + loft space unit. They do not have basements. The Brower townhomes generally go for 400,000+ because they are very spacious units with a garage.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
In 10 seconds I can find two articles about crime in Great Neck too:

Man Stabbed With Screwdriver in Great Neck | Long Island Press

GN woman held on arson charges - The Island Now: Great Neck

Just sayin.
Congrats! Are you going to dismiss these as high school pranks as well?

Yeesh, all I did was point out that ONE street in Oceanside has (or at least used to have) a bad reputation. Do you disagree?

Old 08-21-2013, 01:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Who would want to forgo an inspection on a house these days? Imagine serious case of bugs, termites, roaches... and you'd pay $200K for that, too.

Yay, congrats on the house!!!! Do you have photos?

Seriously, once we heard that was the main reason we lot the house, we were happy we didn't get the place.

Thanks! No photos just yet. Hopefully once we move in and put our touches on it

Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 PM

59 posts, read 271,445 times
OP, do you really want to go LI for coop/condo?
Be honest, LI is not great place to commute to the city.

As you may know, LIRR is expensive and horrible parking in the morning unless you live close to the station.
If you are stick to the house I understand, but for coop in LI...I dont recommend to live in LI unless
one of you or both of you are working in LI.

Why dont you buy coop in Forest Hills? They have nice two bed room coop around your range.
Very safe, good schools, parks, you can use express subway E, F which is cheep, both of you dont need to own cars and save tans of money so you can go to nice restaurants instead etc.

Living in longisland , both of you need the car otherwise you can not go wherever you want to go such as nice restaurants,hair salons even drug stores...

Probably you want to stay close to the ocean thats why you want to go South Shore, but there are always risk for future sandy....If you live in Queens and have one car, you can always go to the ocean over weekend and not very far....

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymimi View Post
OP, do you really want to go LI for coop/condo?
Be honest, LI is not great place to commute to the city.

As you may know, LIRR is expensive and horrible parking in the morning unless you live close to the station.
If you are stick to the house I understand, but for coop in LI...I dont recommend to live in LI unless
one of you or both of you are working in LI.

Why dont you buy coop in Forest Hills? They have nice two bed room coop around your range.
Very safe, good schools, parks, you can use express subway E, F which is cheep, both of you dont need to own cars and save tans of money so you can go to nice restaurants instead etc.

Living in longisland , both of you need the car otherwise you can not go wherever you want to go such as nice restaurants,hair salons even drug stores...

Probably you want to stay close to the ocean thats why you want to go South Shore, but there are always risk for future sandy....If you live in Queens and have one car, you can always go to the ocean over weekend and not very far....
OP is looking for a townhouse or house, not an apartment in a building. I assume they want more space than an apartment. Some townhouse developments in Oceanside were mentioned, all footsteps from shopping, salons, restaurants, as much as you can find in Forest Hills if not more, minus the movie theater. There are drugstores and supermarkets galore in that town; Waldbaums and Stop and Shop are across the street from each other, both a 2 minute walk from Alhambra and The Cove. True, the LIRR is much more expensive than just the subway, but the commute time from E. Rockaway, Lynbrook, Valley Stream to Penn Station is pretty close to the time it takes to take the F train from Forest Hills to 34th Street. All of those towns have tons of shopping. It really will depend on where you want to go in Manhattan. OP did not mention a job in Manhattan. Street parking in Forest Hills is a royal pain and garage spots are not guaranteed and an extra expense. OP would also have to pay NYC income tax You really do not know southwest Nassau county.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Yup. I have been in the area for 30+ and I can assure you the most crime committed is by the high school kids. They aren't really disciplined though even by the pd. To give you an example there was a mugging by the sands a couple weeks back. NCPD got the perp within hours. If it were Baldwin or Island Park they wouldn't give a crap. Luckily for Oside residents they have 3 or more of their native sons patrolling.
What ignorance. Really. When a local teenage group broke out into a huge fist fight on Grand Ave last year, NCP was called and within 20 min was on the scene. In Freeport, cops are patrolling every 30 min-1 hr (I see them almost every time I drive down Sunrise or Merrick Rd). Please do not generalize when you have no idea what goes on in other towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island