Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM

138 posts, read 164,330 times

Advertisements

From what it sounds like this was a common place for kids to hang out and drink and do drugs, i'm surprised the cops allowed this to go on on a regular basis. And nobody heard this girl getting killed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
This is a strange story. Some reports have her stabbed to death, others that she was strangled. I don't get the people upset with the girl for hanging out with her friends. If you tell me you never hung out at a park drinking with friends then I'd have to assume either your parents were militant or you were a social outcast. There isn't much for an 18 yr old to do on LI. There are only so many movies,bowling,pool or diners you can hang out in before you lose your mind.

The real problem here is that society is going down the tubes. The youth is desensitized and morals have evaporated. Add to that the mentally ill are not instituionalized anymore and no place is safe anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Seems like we're not getting all of the info yet. Somebody must have saw or heard something in order to link Sherman to the crime so quickly.

And not to get off topic, but just about every kid interviewed who knew her sounds like a babbling idiot. Not going to make this an indictment of all young people, but these particular kids sound like a bunch of morons.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
There isn't much for an 18 yr old to do on LI. There are only so many movies,bowling,pool or diners you can hang out in before you lose your mind.
There are reports that say she was married. Maybe she and her husband can make a baby and that would give her plenty of things to do.

More seriously, people her age and marital status (with a husband in the military), can try looking for a job, even a low end one in retail. That would keep her preoccpied the whole day and wanting to rest when getting home at night. There are also simple diversions young adults (but still adults) can do like going on hiking trails, nature immersion, visiting NYC and nearby counties, etc.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Seems like we're not getting all of the info yet. Somebody must have saw or heard something in order to link Sherman to the crime so quickly.

And not to get off topic, but just about every kid interviewed who knew her sounds like a babbling idiot. Not going to make this an indictment of all young people, but these particular kids sound like a bunch of morons.
Perhaps it was the fact that he returned to the scene the next day with a face full of scratches and lied to a reporter about the fact he was at the scene for 5 min.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,670,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
This is a strange story. Some reports have her stabbed to death, others that she was strangled. I don't get the people upset with the girl for hanging out with her friends. If you tell me you never hung out at a park drinking with friends then I'd have to assume either your parents were militant or you were a social outcast. There isn't much for an 18 yr old to do on LI. There are only so many movies,bowling,pool or diners you can hang out in before you lose your mind.

The real problem here is that society is going down the tubes. The youth is desensitized and morals have evaporated. Add to that the mentally ill are not instituionalized anymore and no place is safe anymore.
I wasn't a social outcast at 18, I just hung out with them.

Seriously though, the groups I hung with at 18-20 were above getting drunk silly. I did grow up in Staten Island, which may be different.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 AM

186 posts, read 526,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoran81 View Post
From what it sounds like this was a common place for kids to hang out and drink and do drugs, i'm surprised the cops allowed this to go on on a regular basis. And nobody heard this girl getting killed?

The Rockville Centre Police are a joke

Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
There are reports that say she was married. Maybe she and her husband can make a baby and that would give her plenty of things to do.

More seriously, people her age and marital status (with a husband in the military), can try looking for a job, even a low end one in retail. That would keep her preoccpied the whole day and wanting to rest when getting home at night. There are also simple diversions young adults (but still adults) can do like going on hiking trails, nature immersion, visiting NYC and nearby counties, etc.
That's great but, she was on vacation and she may have wanted to enjoy her youth a little before ruining her body. All those activities sound fun for a adult but, a kid might find corny or costly.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I wasn't a social outcast at 18, I just hung out with them.

Seriously though, the groups I hung with at 18-20 were above getting drunk silly. I did grow up in Staten Island, which may be different.
What did you guys do? Video game marathons?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
The Rockville Centre Police are a joke
This may be true but, towns all over LI have the same situation. I think that after the cops run after a group of kids once they give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island