Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 AM

176 posts, read 406,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
The reviews on line for Slomins were enough to make me look elsewhere. We shall see what I end up paying.

I read them as well, however I have come to believe that there are 10 horrible reviews for every product/company in the world somewhere on the net. Slomins gave me a good price and I already called and scheduled the cleaning/service for the fall, so I will give it a shot.

It is possible that they are terrible, but they are a large LI company and I do see them delivering/servicing all over my area. I will give it a year and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
I read them as well, however I have come to believe that there are 10 horrible reviews for every product/company in the world somewhere on the net. Slomins gave me a good price and I already called and scheduled the cleaning/service for the fall, so I will give it a shot.

It is possible that they are terrible, but they are a large LI company and I do see them delivering/servicing all over my area. I will give it a year and see.

For the best price with Slomins you need to sign up at one of there promotional stands in the Malls. They have one in Roosevelt Field and Sunrise mall. In August I signed with Slomins for $3.49 fixed and $129 for a service contract.

Meenan Oil last month offered, $3.69 ceiling, $100 credit and $99 service contract.

I been switching between the two for the last serveral years and no complaints. Meenan's service contract covers a lot more parts than Slomins though.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:11 PM

312 posts, read 516,236 times
I signed with Petro. Swezey doesn't service Nassau.

It is currently 3.39, and my ceiling is 3.78. I do have the free contract, $100 worth of free oil, and a programmable thermostat including installation because I am a new customer, and I had a card they sent me in the mail.

They offered me a fixed price of 3.69 which I did not take.

Another item off my to-do- list. Love this forum....

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
I signed with Petro. Swezey doesn't service Nassau.

It is currently 3.39, and my ceiling is 3.78. I do have the free contract, $100 worth of free oil, and a programmable thermostat including installation because I am a new customer, and I had a card they sent me in the mail.

They offered me a fixed price of 3.69 which I did not take.

Another item off my to-do- list. Love this forum....
Are you sure the current price is $3.39? I got that same postcard in the mail but if you read the fine print, that price is only good for the first Oil delivery. After that I'm afraid you will be paying $3.78.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 AM

312 posts, read 516,236 times
I just called Petro. They are giving me the current price of 3.39. They can only tell me the current price. It will depend on what it is when I get it filled again, but it won't be over 3.78.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,164 times
Ceiling plans are the worst. There really isn't any statistic that tells the oil companies what to charge for their oil. They all say the price will be based on "market conditions". Well who's market conditions? Is it 20 cents over the NYMEX quote? Is it the price of a barrel divided by a certain number? Nobody could give me a real answer on this. So the way I see it, they basically make up what the "market price" is as they go. Expect to pay the ceiling.

I have had Petro in the past come down and match Slomin's latest deal for new customers every time I was up for renewal. Whenever they gave me their renewal price, I basically told them forget it. Then their retentions person called me offering something better (still higher though) and told them forget it. I would eventually get them down to a number I was happy with. They weren't happy doing it, but they didn't want to lose me as a customer.

Last time they offered me a renewal of $4.19. I got them down to $3.54 matching General's price for new customers.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
I never lock in...till today. $3.39 lock with slommins. I don't see oil being any cheaper than that this year. Who knows how bad it will be with the crap goin on in Syria.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I never lock in...till today. $3.39 lock with slommins. I don't see oil being any cheaper than that this year. Who knows how bad it will be with the crap goin on in Syria.
That's a great price. Did you call them for that price or sign up at one of their stands? Thanks.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM

192 posts, read 354,933 times
I didn't lock in. To the new homeowner with questions about how oil service works -- when I bought my house, I signed a contract with Franklin -- my parents have used them for years and have been very happy. Franklin was just bought over by another company though, so we'll see how this season goes.

We did not have automatic delivery. We order 100 gallons at a time. I called up and ordered 100 gallons every time we went below 1/4 tank. Last winter, 100 gallons lasted us about a month. We don't pay COD -- they left a bill in the mailbox and we had about a month to pay it before we would be charged a 1% late fee.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
That's a great price. Did you call them for that price or sign up at one of their stands? Thanks.
They were in my neighborhood last week. Call them, tell them you were busy, and wanted to sign up this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island