Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:23 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkcandy View Post
Hi, I am planning to move to Garden city. My husband will need LIRR commute to work on weekdays. We have seen houses in the eastern section and steward manor areas. The eastern area houses we are interested in are close to Mineola station. The Steward Manor area houses are nice, but the LIRR station is on Hempstead line. Can you please share your experience to compare these 2 areas' houses and LIRR station? Is the hempstead line safe? Thank you in advance!
The Hempstead line is fine, the criminal element you're worried about don't do the whole morning commute into the city, and the LIRR has experienced a marked decline in train robberies over the last few years. I've taken the Hempstead line from Hempstead in the morning a few times, approximately 8:00 AM train, and it's pretty empty at Hempstead and then fills up quickly with morning commuters.

The problem with the Hempstead line, which somebody else mentioned, was the trains run 1 per hour, so I'd sometimes get stuck at Penn when going back to the office after court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Why? Because there might be some more black people on the train? Stunned right now.
That's quite the leap you've made based on OP's post. I don't think it is out of line to be concerned that there might be more crime on a train that leaves from the town with one of the highest crime rates on Long Island. Nobody said anything about black people except you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
The problem with the Hempstead line, which somebody else mentioned, was the trains run 1 per hour, so I'd sometimes get stuck at Penn when going back to the office after court.
While this is true mid-day, there are multiple trains an hour during the morning and evening rush hour commute.

Taking the Hempstead line is really convenient if you are living in GC or one of the surrounding towns. Mineola, because it is on the main line, is often very crowded, whereas if you get on the Hempstead line in GC you will always get a seat.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 AM

175 posts, read 638,035 times
I used to live near the Stewart Manor station (Hempstead line) and now live near New Hyde Park (main line). Both are totally safe (it's not like NYC transit). Hempstead line has less trains but more seats. Main line has more trains, less seats. Just try to find the best house in your budget, within walking distance of either station. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkcandy View Post
Because Hempstead is not a safe area, so I am thinking people taking that line might not be great commuters or might be criminals happening. Thanks for your comments.
Freeport isnt safe. That doesnt mean the Babylon line isnt safe. No correlation. All lines are safe. As far as the service, no comment lol

Old 09-07-2013, 07:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Yes the majority of all MTA commuter train lines have stops in and take passengers from shady neighborhoods. But all are very safe and all passengers typically mind their own business.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:04 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times
The Hempstead line does transfer at Jamaica, so it may be a minor inconvenience compared with the Huntington line which does not.

There have hardly been any crimes on LIRR trains, and especially not on the Hempstead line.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 PM

118 posts, read 258,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
The Hempstead line does transfer at Jamaica, so it may be a minor inconvenience compared with the Huntington line which does not.
Most trains on the Huntington line stop at Jamaica, enabling transfers to stops and terminals other than Penn Station. The Port Washington line does not stop at Jamaica.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathSciGirl View Post
Most trains on the Huntington line stop at Jamaica, enabling transfers to stops and terminals other than Penn Station. The Port Washington line does not stop at Jamaica.
What I meant was, to get to Penn Station, the Hempstead line requires that you transfer to the Huntington line at Jamaica

Old 09-07-2013, 05:34 PM

118 posts, read 258,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
What I meant was, to get to Penn Station, the Hempstead line requires that you transfer to the Huntington line at Jamaica
Not always. Some trains run directly between Hempstead and Penn during the early AM rush hour and from Penn to Hempstead in the early PM rush. At other times the trains run between Hempstead and Atlantic Terminal Brooklyn, stopping at Jamaica en route. And at Jamaica you can transfer to or from trains coming from any line (not just Huntington) if they are going to or from the terminal (Penn, LIC, Hunterspoint, or Atlantic) you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island