Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Friend of mine just paid for his grandmothers funeral. She was cremated, with an inexpensive casket, no wake....about $8000+.

Aint cheap to die.

No. He got ripped off. If he only wanted a cremation for her, there is no need for a casket. A cremation runs less than $1K --- you can get one done for as little as $400. You don't need a fancy urn or anything else. Most people who want cremation want their ashes spread somewhere. Just tell the people at the crematorium to put them in a plastic bag and you'll pick them up.

The business of death, funerals, etc is SUCH a freaking rip off. They should be ashamed of themselves because all they do is take advantage of people in their time of grief and guilt them into buying the most expensive and unnecessary crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM

$10000 to $18000 to throw a body in a hole in the ground. Does anyone else NOT see the absurdity in this?!?!?! It's a BODY, a shell... it's NOT the person. That person's spirit left the body the moment that person took his/her last breath.

First, WHO is going to be visiting the rock above that hole in the ground and for how long? Do you REALLY think that in 5 or 10 years from now anyone is going to be paying a Sunday visit to grandpa, grandma, cousin suzy, or whoever?? No.

Second, if a person is to be cremated, why the need for the wake OR the casket? Why the need to use a funeral home for a "wake"? And who gets the casket when all is said and done? do they burn it during the cremation? (i highly doubt it and suspect it's cleaned up and recycled to another person)

I've left specific instructions on what I want done when I die: NO 'wake', NO memorial service... NO casket. Cremation --- toss me on the slab, roll it in, and turn on the fire. Take the ashes and bone fragments and spread them over my favorite places. If anyone wants to have a "memorial" ---- donate money to my favorite charities.

I certainly am NOT paying $10 grand + for any silly "funeral" for myself or anyone else and I don't want to leave a burden like this on my family.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Read about a quarter way down on this page to get an insider's look at how the funeral industry operates: What is a "dirty little (or big) secret" about an industry that you have worked in, that people outside the industry really ought to know? : AskReddit

Hope this opens some eyes..... I had this figured out long, long ago!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Hope this opens some eyes..... I had this figured out long, long ago!
I read it. It was eye opening--but I also read the NYS laws. You need a funeral director to make arrangements for the body.
  • Do I need a funeral director?
    • Yes. In New York State, only a licensed and registered funeral director may make funeral arrangements for the care, moving, preparation and burial or cremation of a deceased person. At the least, the funeral director will file the death certificate, transfer the body, coordinate with cemetery or crematory representatives, make the necessary preparations, and move the body to the cemetery or crematory.
http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/patients/patient_rights/funeral.htm

Old 10-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post
I read it. It was eye opening--but I also read the NYS laws. You need a funeral director to make arrangements for the body.

• Do I need a funeral director?
    • Yes. In New York State, only a licensed and registered funeral director may make funeral arrangements for the care, moving, preparation and burial or cremation of a deceased person. At the least, the funeral director will file the death certificate, transfer the body, coordinate with cemetery or crematory representatives, make the necessary preparations, and move the body to the cemetery or crematory.
http://www.health.ny.gov/professiona...ts/funeral.htm

So I wonder what happens to people who have no family, no money? Or people who have family but the family has absolutely no money and there is no insurance?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM

510 posts, read 900,436 times
Quote:
So I wonder what happens to people who have no family, no money? Or people who have family but the family has absolutely no money and there is no insurance?
I don't know. Good question.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Ever been to Hart Island ? At least a million dead corpses are buried there at no cost....y

Old 10-13-2013, 10:23 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
No. He got ripped off. If he only wanted a cremation for her, there is no need for a casket. A cremation runs less than $1K --- you can get one done for as little as $400. You don't need a fancy urn or anything else. Most people who want cremation want their ashes spread somewhere. Just tell the people at the crematorium to put them in a plastic bag and you'll pick them up.

The business of death, funerals, etc is SUCH a freaking rip off. They should be ashamed of themselves because all they do is take advantage of people in their time of grief and guilt them into buying the most expensive and unnecessary crap.
I should have explained further. He bought an urn..it was about a thousand because he had no viewing but a gathering at her house where the urn was present. He also buries her in the family plot. Add all those fees up and it came to 8 k. The cremation was closer to 2k.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:10 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
BTW for cremation they use wooden caskets. A wake is for the living and those that are grieving. When my grandmother died in 1975 my mom said she was waked 4 days!!! That's insane.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I should have explained further. He bought an urn..it was about a thousand because he had no viewing but a gathering at her house where the urn was present. He also buries her in the family plot. Add all those fees up and it came to 8 k. The cremation was closer to 2k.
he still got ripped off. $1K for an urn??? Ridiculous. $2K for a cremation??? And why in the world would anyone bury ashes???? If this is the case then this person is an imbecile and deserved to get ripped off.

I'm going to re-write my entire "in the event of my death" and make it extremely clear and specific. I am also going to prepay my cremation so no one gets ripped off like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island